Marina South America - Penthouse questions

RetiredandTravel

I'm sure I could dig thru the comments and find the answers to many of these questions but if someone could help me out I'd appreciate it.

We are considering a Penthouse suite on the 24 day December Christmas (2023/2024) cruises from Lima to Buenos Aires which includes a visit to Antarctica.

1)  A Penthouse suite gets 2 reservations on this cruise for each of the three specialty restaurants (French, Asian & Italian) correct?

2)  Does a Penthouse suite get top priority in making specialty reservations?

2) We've never been to SA but have read the "shake or lake" comments.  Given it could be choppy would it be recommended to get a Penthouse suite on 7?  Are most Penthouse suites in the center of the ship?

3) Is the Antarctica component recommended?    What is it like?

4) Away from the Antarctic part  how are the other SA excursions?

Many Thanks

41 minutes ago, RetiredandTravel said:

I'm sure I could dig thru the comments and find the answers to many of these questions but if someone could help me out I'd appreciate it.

We are considering a Penthouse suite on the 24 day December Christmas (2023/2024) cruises from Lima to Buenos Aires which includes a visit to Antarctica.

1)  A Penthouse suite gets 2 reservations on this cruise for each of the three specialty restaurants (French, Asian & Italian) correct?

There  are 4 specialty restaurants

You are allowed to pre reserve  2 in each

You can ask for more onboard  if spaces are available

https://oceaniacruises.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/360005477653-How-many-dining-reservations-am-I-allowed-in-each-specialty-restaurant-

They get  to book early  75 days out

https://oceaniacruises.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/360005477713-When-can-I-make-reservations-in-the-specialty-restaurant-

enjoy

4 hours ago, RetiredandTravel said:

2) We've never been to SA but have read the "shake or lake" comments.  Given it could be choppy would it be recommended to get a Penthouse suite on 7?  Are most Penthouse suites in the center of the ship?

Many Thanks

Not all PHs are midship.  Check the deck plans for your ship on O's web site.

There are 4 speciality, restaurants on The O ships (Riveria and Marina). In addition to the 3 you mentioned thereis a steakhouse.

PH's get a higher priority for making advance reservation than staterooms in lowere categories, but lower priority compared to named suites (a higher category).

The limit of 2 reservations per speciality restaurant applies only to the advance reservations.  Once on board you can request more.  Success depends on availability and your flexibility.

https://oceaniacruises.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/360005477653-How-many-dining-reservations-am-I-allowed-in-each-specialty-restaurant-

https://oceaniacruises.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/360005477713-When-can-I-make-reservations-in-the-specialty-restaurant-

Edited by 1985rz1
  • Thanks 1

On 5/14/2022 at 8:18 AM, RetiredandTravel said:

Many Thanks

PH's get priority in that availability to book your dining online opens up a week or so before the lower categories.  IF you want more than assigned, your butler in the PH may be able to get you additional seatings.  This depends on the quality of butler.  You can almost always (with or without butler) get an additional late seating of 8:30 - 9pm.

2. Lower and center is always better if you are prone to motion sickness.  Personally, I like being on the floor where the Executive Lounge (for PH and above categories) is for a quick coffee/snack.

3. This is new for Oceania Marina.  These are "drive-by" Antarctic experiences.  No landings.

4. We did quite a few O excursions, and were pretty pleased with almost all of them. One suggestion, when in Uruguay, don't chose the Sea Wolf Island excursion if you don't like rough seas. I'm a pretty good sailor, but I was rather freaked by the sea levels, and many on board were actively ill.  The very expensive, but VERY worth it Culinary excursion  on Uruguayan cooking was just fantastic.  We did 5 private excursions and they were all stellar.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Most of the questions were answered. 

Antarctica drive by.  You will see some stunning scenery.  The smell of 100,000's of penguins.  Maybe some whales.  Nice but not the real thing and it will wet your appetite for an expedition cruise where you can land.  It did for us.  We did this on Insignia.

The Drake can be rough, but it was not for us.  It was much rough going from the Fjords through the Magellan straight.  There we had a good rockin and rollin. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Great information thank you.  I really should have just checked the Oceania deck plans, sorry for asking.  Great to know on the executive lounge tho.

We're big fans of the "tips or travelers" series on YouTube.  He's a big fan of Oceania and has a great series on expedition cruises to Antarctica (I'll attach two reviews).

We're fairly new to cruising with only two trips on Regent.   I've read a ton of Oceania reviews and comparisons of Regent & Oceania.  This is always hard to sort out and I know it will upset the Oceania faithful 😡 (I'll put on a football helmet) but I've read some complaints about the MDR food & service.  Sounds like you guys have a lot of experience on Oceania what is your experience on the MDR?  We like our food and its important to us.  

Thanks again.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hIHPmBv8Up0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=99HANPY2TSU

Our first cruise on Oceania was in 2005 in a Penthouse on Insignia and we did Buenos Aires to Valparasio. Fabulous cruise and the only rough seas we had were on the way to the Falklands. Since then, we've eaten in the Grand Dining Room fewer and fewer times to the point that on the last 10 day cruise we did not eat in there once. IMHO, the service is extremely slow no matter which meal it is. I've been there for breakfast, ordered a simple meal with only a few other tables occupied and still the service took over 1 1/2 hours. If we don't have a specialty reservation we will eat in the Terrace Cafe which usually has many of the same dishes as the GDR and gives us the opportunity to sample small portions of lots of different things. You will hear from other regulars on here who love the "leisurely" pace of the GDR and don't mind sitting for hours waiting to be served. Lucky for you to be in a Penthouse where you probably will be able to get into a Specialty almost every night - or order from one and have it served in your suite. Enjoy your cruise and welcome aboard.

• Thanks 1

Main dinning room questions… We have been on both the Marina and the Riviera twice since the restart. And, yes, with the need to bring on untrained service staff after the long layoff there were some training issues which caused some service delays in the MDR. By the second cruise on both of the ships many of these seemed to be improving. The food quality and variety continues to be quite good, but then, this is Oceania and the food selection and quality everywhere on the ship is top tier. We’ve sailed many cruise lines and no one, no mater what the supposed status can match the overall quality level of Oceania. We  eat breakfast almost every day that the MDR is open (on some port days it closes) because the selections are great and it tends to be quieter and more peaceful than The Terrace. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

In this case, I don’t view it as a service issue in the GDR, but rather a philosophical issue. Pre Covid we were in Denver having dinner with a business group , I believe the Chop House. Appetizers, salad, and main course all delivered, served and pushed out the door in 40 minutes from sit down. Some found the service amazing. We found it rude, aggressive, and overbearing. Stop to talk, and they wanted to take your plate away. The main course was brought within minutes of the salad. They dumped the wine bottles empty with 6-7 Oz pours so not to come around again, and brought our check with the salad. Flip that Table. A lot of Americans thrive on fast food. Eat and get it over with. They were happy.

We, on the other hand, enjoy a slow paced relaxing meal. One where we can enjoy the company and the wine in vacation mode. At home, we regularly host and attend wine dinners, with multiple courses, that go for 3-4 hours at least.

Therefore, those loving the Chop House, would never enjoy our wine dinners , and vice versus. I’ve often witnessed, particularly Americans, getting irate in Southern Europe over even 1.5 hour meals. There isn’t a right or wrong here. Each to his own. For those wanting to eat quickly and leave, Oceania provides the Terrace Buffet and Waves. For those of us not in a hurry, and on vacation mode, we have the GDR. The GDR can’t be all things to all people. As long as the wine steward is visiting my table regularly, we’ve been very satisfied with the service there. I understand why others feel differently.

There was a song from the 60s, can’t remember from whom, “ slow down, you’re going to fast. Stop the world, I’m getting dizzy!” Cruising vacation mode for us. 🥂🥂

• Like 5

1 hour ago, pinotlover said:

In this case, I don’t view it as a service issue in the GDR, but rather a philosophical issue. Pre Covid we were in Denver having dinner with a business group , I believe the Chop House. Appetizers, salad, and main course all delivered, served and pushed out the door in 40 minutes from sit down. Some found the service amazing. We found it rude, aggressive, and overbearing. Stop to talk, and they wanted to take your plate away. The main course was brought within minutes of the salad. They dumped the wine bottles empty with 6-7 Oz pours so not to come around again, and brought our check with the salad. Flip that Table. A lot of Americans thrive on fast food. Eat and get it over with. They were happy.

We, on the other hand, enjoy a slow paced relaxing meal. One where we can enjoy the company and the wine in vacation mode. At home, we regularly host and attend wine dinners, with multiple courses, that go for 3-4 hours at least.

Therefore, those loving the Chop House, would never enjoy our wine dinners , and vice versus. I’ve often witnessed, particularly Americans, getting irate in Southern Europe over even 1.5 hour meals. There isn’t a right or wrong here. Each to his own. For those wanting to eat quickly and leave, Oceania provides the Terrace Buffet and Waves. For those of us not in a hurry, and on vacation mode, we have the GDR. The GDR can’t be all things to all people. As long as the wine steward is visiting my table regularly, we’ve been very satisfied with the service there. I understand why others feel differently.

There was a song from the 60s, can’t remember from whom, “ slow down, you’re going to fast. Stop the world, I’m getting dizzy!” Cruising vacation mode for us. 🥂🥂

Feelin' groovy.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

On 5/15/2022 at 9:17 PM, Kate-AHF said:

4. We did quite a few O excursions, and were pretty pleased with almost all of them. One suggestion, when in Uruguay, don't chose the Sea Wolf Island excursion if you don't like rough seas. I'm a pretty good sailor, but I was rather freaked by the sea levels, and many on board were actively ill.  The very expensive, but VERY worth it Culinary excursion  on Uruguayan cooking was just fantastic.  We did 5 private excursions and they were all stellar

Thank you. Sea Wolf Island would be a big mistake for us.  I budget $400 a day for excursions (we would take the OBC) is that about right? 

23 hours ago, Queen of DaNile said:

Since then, we've eaten in the Grand Dining Room fewer and fewer times to the point that on the last 10 day cruise we did not eat in there once. IMHO, the service is extremely slow no matter which meal it is. I've been there for breakfast, ordered a simple meal with only a few other tables occupied and still the service took over 1 1/2 hours. If we don't have a specialty reservation we will eat in the Terrace Cafe which usually has many of the same dishes as the GDR and gives us the opportunity to sample small portions of lots of different things. 

We usually get room service for breakfast.   How is the breakfast room service?  The coffee on Regent is average at best.  We accept that room service food isn't as hot by definition. 

The SA cruise is for 24 days with many on the ship so lunch is important..  I see three lunch venues (other than room service) GDR (Bistro), Terrace and Waves.   We don't care for buffets, how are the lunches other than buffets?

You sharing your experience is invaluable thank you.

22 hours ago, pinotlover said:

They dumped the wine bottles empty with 6-7 Oz pours

My Bride wouldn't care for this but I personally don't see it as a negative.  cheers

Thank again everyone.

Edited by RetiredandTravel

1 hour ago, RetiredandTravel said:

Thank you. Sea Wolf Island would be a big mistake for us.  I budget $400 a day for excursions (we would take the OBC) is that about right? 

We usually get room service for breakfast.   How is the breakfast room service?  The coffee on Regent is average at best.  We accept that room service food isn't as hot by definition. 

The SA cruise is for 24 days with many on the ship so lunch is important..  I see three lunch venues (other than room service) GDR (Bistro), Terrace and Waves.   We don't care for buffets, how are the lunches other than buffets?

You sharing your experience is invaluable thank you.

My Bride wouldn't care for this but I personally don't see it as a negative.  cheers

Thank again everyone.

In 2019, my average for 16 tours (private and Oceania) averaged $303.  Everything is more expensive now, so a ballpark of $400 per day is not a bad basis point.  Don't get the OBC.  If you think you will do O shorex, chose the shorex option (not OBC).  Your shorex dollars will go further. You will still qualify for Your World Your Way (YWYW) shorex discount (25%) if you reach a certain number of excursions. 

Lunch: frequently the MDR is NOT open for lunch on port days.  It's always open on sea days. Don't discount the "buffet".  It's much better that you would think.  You can get grilled fish, steak, shrimp, chicken breasts to order at the grill.  Also, in Waves they've installed outdoor grills where they have daily themed grilled items (jerk chicken, etc) that are chef's discretion.  Underrated.  

In room breakfast:  Order Americanos instead of coffee.    Depending on how much of a breakfast you want, Horizons opens at 6am with pastries, toast, cereal, decent coffee from the machine, whole fruit, yogurt - and a very decent coffee machine for Americanos, lattes, cappuccinos.  It's quick, it's quiet up there. No buffet "scrum" as we call it.  Our favorite is the MDR breakfast.  Service on the last two cruises has been fairly speedy.  We just not in-room breakfast people, we've decided - doesn't matter which cruise line.  It' never really hot (as you noted) and it clutters up the cabin when we're trying to get out the door for the day.  Now.... that said, please take advantage of the room service dinners.  So fabulous to relax in yoga pants and fuzzy socks, drinking a bottle of Argentine/Chilean wine you picked up on your day in port, having dinner come to you when you are tired.   

I can share the private excursions we took with you if you would like.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

8 minutes ago, Kate-AHF said:

I can share the private excursions we took with you if you would like.

That would be great, so generous of you to share.

In a PH suite can you order from the specialty restaurants for room service?

Edited by RetiredandTravel

Check out your Roll Call. We are doing BA-Lima this coming year. Our private all day tours are rarely costing more $150/day/pp., most far less. I can list several examples for savings, like the Falklands where we’re paying $190 each and the ship is changing $365 each for the same tour. 

I’ll likewise share plenty of tour information with you.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, RetiredandTravel said:

That would be great, so generous of you to share.

Drop a line to my throwaway email and I'll share the very good private  tours we took: ivegotanalter at yahoo dot com.  I'll respond from my "real" email addy.

10 minutes ago, RetiredandTravel said:

The Specialties are only open for dinner

Ask your Butler in advance   when you would like to dine in for dinner  they will serve you course by course

The Terrace  is not like  other buffets on other ships ... no self serve 

• Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, pinotlover said:

Check out your Roll Call. We are doing BA-Lima this coming year. Our private all day tours are rarely costing more $150/day/pp., most far less. I can list several examples for savings, like the Falklands where we’re paying $190 each and the ship is changing $365 each for the same tour. 

I’ll likewise share plenty of tour information with you.

Are you doing Volunteer Point in the Falklands with Estancia Excursions?

This discussion of Volunteer Point brings to mind another caveat:  There are no roads to VP with these private excursions.  You will be going overland, in 4x4's.  This is not insignificant.  If you have back issues, you will be rocked and rolled in that 4x4 in ways you can't imagine - so gauge your vertebra stability accordingly.  Is it worth it?  To us, yes.  The penguin colony at VP is outstanding, and you will get your penguin-seeking soul filled to the brim.

There are closer and less arduous colonies that Oceania will offer expeditions to.  But they will lack the "Oh my God, look at the penguins!" response.

26 minutes ago, Kate-AHF said:

This discussion of Volunteer Point brings to mind another caveat:  There are no roads to VP with these private excursions.  You will be going overland, in 4x4's.  This is not insignificant.  If you have back issues, you will be rocked and rolled in that 4x4 in ways you can't imagine - so gauge your vertebra stability accordingly.  Is it worth it?  To us, yes.  The penguin colony at VP is outstanding, and you will get your penguin-seeking soul filled to the brim.

There are closer and less arduous colonies that Oceania will offer expeditions to.  But they will lack the "Oh my God, look at the penguins!" response.

Kate;

While your points about VP are spot on, Oceania’s shorex to those other locations are likewise grossly expensive, and can likewise be taken with private companies for half the cost. Both options are available on our Roll Call.

Here’s some simple math many don’t grasp, even he that claims never to pay retail. 2(x) - 25% is always greater than X. Let x be the price of the corresponding price tour, with 2X often being Oceania’s upcharge.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, LHT28 said:

The Specialties are only open for dinner

Ask your Butler in advance   when you would like to dine in for dinner  they will serve you course by course

The Terrace  is not like  other buffets on other ships ... no self serve 

ty..never had a butler

To be clear on a 24 day cruise in a PH suite I will get 8 specialty resos up front, can probably get more once on board and I get additional specialty meals anytime  in the room with the butler?

I saw the lunch buffet on the videos looks great.  We definitely wouldn't want Dinner buffets but lunch would be fine.   The Pool Grill on Regent serves great burgers & stuff but the buffet is IMO poor.  They have another lunch buffet that rotates themes, is just ok.

1 hour ago, RetiredandTravel said:

To be clear on a 24 day cruise in a PH suite I will get 8 specialty resos up front, can probably get more once on board and I get additional specialty meals anytime  in the room with the butler?

Yes.  But notify the butler in advance so he/she can work it into his/her schedule.  I think that both of you have to order from the same specialty...no mix and match, as that would be a nightmare for the butler.

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, 1985rz1 said:

Yes.  But notify the butler in advance so he/she can work it into his/her schedule.  I think that both of you have to order from the same specialty...no mix and match, as that would be a nightmare for the butler.

Very true! If your Butler is already slammed with 10 En-suite dinners for an evening, you probably don’t want to be #11. Nor does he need the additional burden.

The rule is actually no mix and match from different kitchens. In that on both R&O ships the PG and Toscana share a kitchen, those menus can be m&m. On the O ships, RG and Jacques menus can’t be mixed and matched. Totally different kitchens.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, RetiredandTravel said:

ty..never had a butler

I saw the lunch buffet on the videos looks great.  We definitely wouldn't want Dinner buffets but lunch would be fine.   The Pool Grill on Regent serves great burgers & stuff but the buffet is IMO poor.  They have another lunch buffet that rotates themes, is just ok.

Yes you can get other meals in the cabin but I believe only the dinner meals for the Specialties are served course by course  from the Butler

Dinner in the Terrace is much the same as lunch  some items grilled to order  but all are plated by the staff  no serve yourself  as I believe Regent allows people to play in the serving dishes 😲

• Thanks 1