COVID-19 TEST TIMING QUESTION

Wbaildon14

3 minutes ago, PBodek said:

Sorry, you must be a "youngster" !

Wouldn't that be nice!  Actually am a senior on medicaid but when I completed the questionaire to see if I was eligible for a free test it said NO ... the questions specified symptoms, exposure, and referral from health provider ... all were no from me so I guess I would have to fudge a bit to get it free.  The "girl scout" in me has a problem with that.

11 minutes ago, molymoo said:

Wouldn't that be nice!  Actually am a senior on medicaid but when I completed the questionaire to see if I was eligible for a free test it said NO ... the questions specified symptoms, exposure, and referral from health provider ... all were no from me so I guess I would have to fudge a bit to get it free.  The "girl scout" in me has a problem with that.

I don't think you need to "fudge".  CVS is free, period!

28 minutes ago, PBodek said:

I don't think you need to "fudge".  CVS is free, period!

Here in Virginia... if the test is for travel it is NOT free and insurance won't cover it, period!

They even have a specific page on their website for this:

https://www.cvs.com/minuteclinic/covid-19-testing/voluntary-testing?icid=mc_poct_disqual_cpay

Edited by Haqdeluxe
Add website information
  • Like 1

Everyone.  Just because CVS (or others) are free in your state, does not mean that is true for other states.  Everyone must look at their own specific situation.

These days it is getting difficult to find places to test, since demand has plummeted with the return to 2019 in many places.  About the only people who need tests are those who truly have symptoms and likely have COVID, or those who are traveling on an international cruise (most typically Viking). 

The proctored tests can be a good alternative for those who don't live in large metro areas.

2 hours ago, molymoo said:

I was also not eligible for a free PCR test from CVS in April although I was last November. Don’t know why, but Quest took my insurance and I got a free test there. BTW, I think you mean Medicare - not Medicaid.

We’ll probably get a PCR test for accuracy (especially to see if I’m still testing positive after my Covid bout) and have a proctored antigen test waiting in the wings in case the PCR one doesn’t come through in time.

We shouldn’t have a problem getting a free PCR test. DH is pretty much always around people with Covid these days, and I’m always around him, so …

We’ll take proctored tests with us as well to use in Bergen before we fly home, assuming the US still has this idiotic policy in September.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Squawkman said:

I was also not eligible for a free PCR test from CVS in April although I was last November. Don’t know why, but Quest took my insurance and I got a free test there. BTW, I think you mean Medicare - not Medicaid.

Right you are!  Can’t keep the terminology straight … dealt with Medicaid a lot when I was a working stiff!  

21 hours ago, molymoo said:

This has probably been covered but my mind is boggled.  If we are doing a Viking extension prior to embarkation who will look and and assess the "validity" of our pre-flight tests.  We have multiple options for getting this testing done and the prices range from "nominal" to $300.00 each.  We are going to Oslo then to Bergen to board and Norway does not require any testing at this point ... certainly don't want to spend $600 if one of the more nominal ones will do.  

I am probably a bit late with this but for what its worth the nominal (antigen) test will do..J

Just now, Jay23 said:

I am probably a bit late with this but for what its worth the nominal (antigen) test will do..J

I think when all is said and done we will go with one of the many rapid tests available in our area.  We will likely have to pay for them but the cost will be considerably less than the rapid PCR test we originally planned to take during the 72 hour “window”.   We’ll have to schedule the test the day we leave which can be a little nerve racking, but with pre- planning and an appointment we should be okay.  
We are doing two nights in Oslo on a Viking pre-extension and not sure anyone will even see these test results!  Norway has no Covid restrictions right now (we’re less than 30 days out) so we will arrive in Norway, travel to the hotel (in the evening) and there MAYBE meet with the Viking rep.  If it is the wrong test, what are they going to do … send us home?  I think we’ll be fine!  

1 minute ago, molymoo said:

I think when all is said and done we will go with one of the many rapid tests available in our area.  We will likely have to pay for them but the cost will be considerably less than the rapid PCR test we originally planned to take during the 72 hour “window”.   We’ll have to schedule the test the day we leave which can be a little nerve racking, but with pre- planning and an appointment we should be okay.  
We are doing two nights in Oslo on a Viking pre-extension and not sure anyone will even see these test results!  Norway has no Covid restrictions right now (we’re less than 30 days out) so we will arrive in Norway, travel to the hotel (in the evening) and there MAYBE meet with the Viking rep.  If it is the wrong test, what are they going to do … send us home?  I think we’ll be fine!  

In the UK we can buy an Antigen Certified kit from certain stores.  We bought this for a cost of £22 for two, about $25 dollars?  We did the test in the Hotel 24 hours before we boarded and the result came through on the internet about 15 minutes later.  Of course as you know, the check in people didn't ask for the result.  I think that must be something to do with it being in Norway ?????  J

I ended up calling Viking customer service as we have a pre-cruise extension.  They indicated that the PCR test had to be within 72 hours of your departure flight for your “first Viking event”.   So 72 hours before we fly out for the pre-cruise extension works.