Certificate of Recovery

luv2ndhalf

Can someone please explain how to get a Certificate of Recovery if we are out of the US and need it to fly home? I’ve seen some comments that say you can get them online, but how do they get your original test? What if the way I found out I was positive was by taking a self test (not proctored)? Does that matter? Thanks!

Search here or on Google. You will need a test with an emailed result to begin the process. Non proctored tests don’t work. There a companies all over the place that give the letter of recovery,

• Thanks 1

Suggest you do a search on CC as this has been the subject of several threads.  

Am wondering why you would need a certificate of recovery to fly home as you almost certainly would test negative.  Also some countries and airlines will not accept a certificate of recovery, only a negative test.

Also, bear in mind that some travel providers (including Celebrity) require not only that the positive results be from a supervised test, not a pure home test, but also that it must be a positive PCR test. Antigen tests would not be acceptable to Celebrity, at least as I understand it. So a proctored EMed test would not be good enough.  So be sure to check the details if you are trying to rely on a Certificate of Recovery. 

Tom & Judy

Edited by TFree
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

18 hours ago, Arizona Wildcat said:

Suggest you do a search on CC as this has been the subject of several threads.  

Am wondering why you would need a certificate of recovery to fly home as you almost certainly would test negative.  Also some countries and airlines will not accept a certificate of recovery, only a negative test.

I’m just trying to think through all scenarios……… we are booked to sail b2b AU/NZ in late Oct-

Just concerned that by some fluke we test positive after 10 days- 

• Like 1

1. Check either the CDC site or Celebrity.

2. Note that this process is new since January this year, could change again by October.

3. IF you get Covid, and IF you can show you had Covid more than 10 days ago, and IF you document your illness with a formally administered PCR test, and IF a credible source can confirm you are now symptom free, THEN  it may be assumed that any antigen test results can be ignored and you  may be deemed Recovered no matter what the tests say. 

But, if you just happen to get a positive antigen at the end of a cruise, then you need to deal with the then-current guidelines for isolation etc.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 5/16/2022 at 6:13 PM, luv2ndhalf said:

Can someone please explain how to get a Certificate of Recovery if we are out of the US and need it to fly home? I’ve seen some comments that say you can get them online, but how do they get your original test? What if the way I found out I was positive was by taking a self test (not proctored)? Does that matter? Thanks!

You do need a proctored test for Celebrity to help with anything.  Also for the flight home.  Be alert for airline rules as well.  One of our party tested positive at the airport after getting off the ship in Vancouver.  Canada requires 5 days quarantine.  The U.S. requires a negative test to get home.  You cannot test negative and fly before your 5 days finish (in Canada).  If you test negative after 5 days, you can fly subject to your airline rules (more later).  If you test positive, you have to do ANOTHER 5 day quarantine.  After 10 days, you can get a Letter of Recovery and fly back to the U.S. even if you are testing positive.  For airline rules:  Delta for example will NOT let you fly for 12 days after a positive test no matter how many times you test negative.  Their rules.  So check with your airline about the "what if's".

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, Two Boys Cruising said:

You do need a proctored test for Celebrity to help with anything.  Also for the flight home.  Be alert for airline rules as well.  One of our party tested positive at the airport after getting off the ship in Vancouver.  Canada requires 5 days quarantine.  The U.S. requires a negative test to get home.  You cannot test negative and fly before your 5 days finish (in Canada).  If you test negative after 5 days, you can fly subject to your airline rules (more later).  If you test positive, you have to do ANOTHER 5 day quarantine.  After 10 days, you can get a Letter of Recovery and fly back to the U.S. even if you are testing positive.  For airline rules:  Delta for example will NOT let you fly for 12 days after a positive test no matter how many times you test negative.  Their rules.  So check with your airline about the "what if's".

All good points. But from what I have seen online, the U.S. will accept the Certificate of Recovery (aka Documentation of Recovery) en lieu of a negative test. But airlines etc may or may not. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

40 minutes ago, GottaKnowWhen said:

All good points. But from what I have seen online, the U.S. will accept the Certificate of Recovery (aka Documentation of Recovery) en lieu of a negative test. But airlines etc may or may not. 

It all happened so fast we did not have a lot of time to research.  We were told that no doctors would give a Certificate of Recovery (this is in Canada) until day 10.  If you have info about how to get it in shorter time, we are all ears as our person is still in Canada on day 2.  

On 5/16/2022 at 9:13 PM, luv2ndhalf said:

When you first get Covid you need to have a PCR test done and a lab report showing you were positive.  Once you have completed isolation and are symptom free and at least 10 days has passed you can have your healthcare provider write a letter as out lined below.  There are also some telemedicine drs that provide the letters. These are celebrity’s requirements,

A Certificate of Recovery must meet the following requirements: 

• Be on official letterhead from a healthcare provider, public health official or telehealth provider showing:
    • The Provider’s name, address, phone number and 
    •  The Provider’s address 
    • The Provider’s phone number 
    • Confirmation of your recovery and completion of isolation 
  • Be typed (not handwritten) and signed by the provider 
  • Must confirm the sample collection date of the positive PCR test, which must be a minimum of 11 days and a maximum of 180 days before the departure date of your cruise 
  • Date of validity must extend throughout the duration of your cruise 
  • Include a positive result document for a COVID-19 PCR test taken a minimum of 11 days and a maximum of 90 days before the departure date of your cruise. 
    • An antigen test result will not be accepted with a Certificate of Recovery. 
    • The test results document from your test provider must include the name of the lab that processed the test, the lab’s CLIA Lab Number or Certification Number, the address of the lab, your name, the date the test was taken, type of test, and your positive result. 
    • This can be a printed document, email, or telehealth app notification. 
    • Fully handwritten doctor’s notes (such as those written on a prescription pad) will not be accepted. 
    • Minimal handwritten components (such as a check mark on a “positive” box) are acceptable as long as the other required information is printed on the document.
Edited by LINGBER
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 3

We simply googled on the Country name we were in and Covid Recovery Certificate.   In the UK it turned up many many results.   I used one a fellow CC had recommended.

You do your application fully on line.   You can apply on the 11th day after confirmed Positive result.   four ours we uploaded a picture of passport and the positive test result.   15 minutes later we received our Covid Certificate by email

We are flying home today on United from LHR.   Yesterday for check in we uploaded our Positive Results (showing date ) and Covid Recovery Certificate and 10 minutes later it was approved and we completed our check-in received our Boarding Passes.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Jim_Iain said:

We simply googled on the Country name we were in and Covid Recovery Certificate.   In the UK it turned up many many results.   I used one a fellow CC had recommended.

You do your application fully on line.   You can apply on the 11th day after confirmed Positive result.   four ours we uploaded a picture of passport and the positive test result.   15 minutes later we received our Covid Certificate by email

We are flying home today on United from LHR.   Yesterday for check in we uploaded our Positive Results (showing date ) and Covid Recovery Certificate and 10 minutes later it was approved and we completed our check-in received our Boarding Passes.

Jim,

So happy you are getting home. 
I am despondent and was tested again today on Celebrity Edge.
This is Day 10 for me. My husband has chosen to stay with me in this hell. 
He is now on Day 19. 
They tell me that in order to fly home I must test negative. 
They tell me that in order to get the Certificate of Recovery, I must test negative. 

Not sure of the details of your situation. But “they” are wrong if they say you need to test negative. You need to be symptom free (e.g. no fever) but the whole point is that you may test Positive for up to 90 days, and the Certificate confirms you are in that 90 day period and that you are 10 days beyond testing positive and that you are symptom free. At least that is what I understand from CDC and Celebrity sites.

• Like 3

18 hours ago, Jim_Iain said:

Thank you for that info.  We may be doing the same early next week.

10 hours ago, GottaKnowWhen said:

Not sure of the details of your situation. But “they” are wrong if they say you need to test negative. You need to be symptom free (e.g. no fever) but the whole point is that you may test Positive for up to 90 days, and the Certificate confirms you are in that 90 day period and that you are 10 days beyond testing positive and that you are symptom free. At least that is what I understand from CDC and Celebrity sites.

Turns out that Bananavan isn't dealing with a COR for U.S. requirements to fly home.  Rather, it's an incredibly strict policy in Italy that won't let her set foot off the ship yet.  See here.  It's really strange.  Wouldn't want a cruise disembarking in Italy at the moment.

• Like 1

Thanks for the clarification. The CDC policies make so much sense, I am glad Celebrity follows them, it’s too bad Italy and Bermuda and many others don’t adapt as situations change and experience accumulates about how to cope with the pandemic.

19 hours ago, bananavan said:

Jim,

So happy you are getting home. 
I am despondent and was tested again today on Celebrity Edge.
This is Day 10 for me. My husband has chosen to stay with me in this hell. 
He is now on Day 19. 
They tell me that in order to fly home I must test negative. 
They tell me that in order to get the Certificate of Recovery, I must test negative. 

You may test positive up to 90 days.  You do not need to test negative, just a 10 day quarantine with health certificate by a MD. 

2 hours ago, canderson said:

Turns out that Bananavan isn't dealing with a COR for U.S. requirements to fly home.  Rather, it's an incredibly strict policy in Italy that won't let her set foot off the ship yet.  See here.  It's really strange.  Wouldn't want a cruise disembarking in Italy at the moment.

Wow, scary.  For those who have recovered from COVID, obtain a health certificate along with a copy of the positive PCR test result.  According to the Celebrity website for Italy:  

Guests who have recently recovered from COVID-19 may present a Certificate of Recovery and proof of the positive PCR test result taken between 11 and less than 180 days prior to the sail date in order to board. The Certificate of Recovery can be presented as an NHS COVID Pass, EU Certificate of Recovery or as a letter from a healthcare provider. In addition, you must still present a vaccination card. Please be aware that some ports of call do not accept a Certificate of Recovery for the purposes of debarking and enjoying the destination.

2 hours ago, Two Boys Cruising said:

Thank you for that info.  We may be doing the same early next week.

A work around is to schedule a flight to Tijuana, Mexico (TIJ) which does not require a COVID test, then use the CBX at the airport which is a walkway bridge to San Diego. Customs  to the US does not require a COVD test by walking across the boarder. The San Diego airport is 30 min away by Lyft https://www.crossborderxpress.com/en/     A faster, more comfortable, one-of-a-kind way to cross the U.S.-Mexico border, exclusively for passengers of the Tijuana International Airport.

On 5/17/2022 at 7:44 PM, Two Boys Cruising said:

United Airlines required a 10 day isolation which is required according to the CDC. 

Edited by whirlybird3
  • Like 1

On 5/17/2022 at 10:44 PM, Two Boys Cruising said:

For airline rules:  Delta for example will NOT let you fly for 12 days after a positive test no matter how many times you test negative.  Their rules.  So check with your airline about the "what if's".

@Two Boys CruisingI was on Delta’s site today and didn’t see this mentioned. Would you have a link please?  Thanks 

1 hour ago, mickeysgal said:

@Two Boys CruisingI was on Delta’s site today and didn’t see this mentioned. Would you have a link please?  Thanks 

I don't have a link.  That is what the Delta agents at Vancouver told us when one of our party tested positive, that per Delta rules she would not be able to fly until the 12th day.  

On 5/17/2022 at 8:45 PM, Two Boys Cruising said:

It all happened so fast we did not have a lot of time to research.  We were told that no doctors would give a Certificate of Recovery (this is in Canada) until day 10.  If you have info about how to get it in shorter time, we are all ears as our person is still in Canada on day 2.  

If they are in Vancouver Canada they can simply drive to the US.  Southwest flies out of Bellingham WA about 60 miles in the US.

Edited by Arizona Wildcat
  • Like 1