May 28th POA Reservation - CANCELED

I just got off the phone with NCL. I have read all these posts and upon first realization, I panicked because I am a travel agent and have a large group on the June 11 sailing(including myself).

NCL confirmed that only 21 bookings were cancelled and only on the May 28th sailing-as of right now. That doesn't mean others won't be cancelled in the future if their staff numbers don't increase.

The problem with the POA is because it is flagged in the US, it has always had a majority of American crew. They demand higher salaries in general which means you pay more in your fare. Then there is the fact that post covid, many people still haven't gone back to work. How many of you can go out in public and not see at least one restaurant or grocery store with a sign, "Help Wanted"? It's everywhere! So, I get it. 

I am discouraged about the news I keep reading in regard to specialty restaurants being closed (Or worse yet-open and terrible), some shore excursions being cancelled at the last minute bc they don't have the staff to accomodate you, or only 1 out of 3 bars that are open.

So, those of us who are booked, have a choice now: A) Plan to go and hope you aren't cancelled or B)GO ahead and cancel and rebook at a later date when things are back to normal.

There are problems either way of course. The good thing for my group, at least they all took advangtage of the Air promo from NCL. So, if cruise gets cancelled, so does the air. If I had booked my own air, I would be EVEN MORE concerned right now. Airfare is steady going up. I hear rumors by the end of the summer, it may be twice as much as it is right now. So, if anyone chooses to cancel, at least they would get all their money back. It would just cost them more to do the same cruise later. Much More! I, myself, am a bonafide optimist. I prefer to look at it this way. I am not going on this cruise for the ship or the service of the crew. I am going to see Hawaii. I will try and see things from the perspective of that skeleton crew and how things are for them. I am sure they are under great stress.

As for the reason the 21 bookings were cancelled, I have heard it was the last bookings that booked. However, NCL would not comment on that. They did, however assure me that they usually don't cancel groups or part of groups that were booked inside the group department.

I will be really curious and be looking at posts from now until after I am HOPEFULLY back home from my cruise. 

I am so sorry for the 21 bookings that were cancelled. I wish you the best of luck rebooking or getting your money back. I spent way too my months doing nothing but cancellations as a travel agent during the mean, nasty Covid 19. So, I know, it can be painstaking. But be patient and follow through!

• Like 1

On 5/19/2022 at 3:34 PM, LS8595 said:

I prefer that NCL get their act together, be more proactive with their decision making and deliver on the promises they’re selling.  While I agree that they’re damned if they do and damned if they don’t, I disagree with the notion that they don’t have the ability to forecast their staffing levels a week or two out.  With the exception of crew that falls ill (very little of that last week from what we saw and heard and how would they predict that 10 days out for Op’s cruise), these folks are on contracts, which makes it far easier to predict your headcount numbers.  I just think NCL waited too long to invest in their staffing levels for this ship, while happily booking reservations, and now they’re scrambling.  

Canceling peoples’ vacations 10 days out is unconscionable, sorry.  They should have done it a month ago, which would have provided a wee bit more time for the OP to pivot their vacation.  It seems to have become a socially acceptable business practice for the cruise lines to just cancel reservations nowadays.  Definitely not helping with customer loyalty, that’s for sure.  Again, my opinion, for the two cents it’s not even worth.  

For the premium price that the charge for POA cruises, a less than great cruise is not going to cut it. 

• Like 1

We have a POA cruise booked in September and if they needed to free up capacity, we would probably take the deal of full refund and 100% cruise credit.  NCL should find a way to ask for volunteers. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Turtles06 said:

And reports on the Roll Calls as well. Sorry for everyone affected. 

12 hours ago, Cindy said:

Lots of people on June and July sailings received cancellation notices today.😢

I hate to hear that as I was hoping it would just be a cruise or two impacted.

Warning for anyone else impacted like me..  We still haven't received our Future Cruise Credit which was supposed to be in our account last Friday (May 20th). We rebooked a separate NCL cruise and need that credit to hit to transfer the payments.. The frustration with NCL continues 

11 minutes ago, Paula_MacFan said:

Does anyone know if the people who have been cancelled were cruise only passengers?  We have the 4-day pre-cruise land tour booked along with our cruise.  Surely they aren't cancelling those??

I’ve read of both pre-cruise tour and cruise only cancellations.. There doesn’t seem to be any rhyme or reason to who draws the short straw.

Someone started a poll on a social media site with the initials FB. The only passengers who haven’t reported a cancellation there are suite passengers and those traveling from outside the US. Other than those, there’s a mix of people in large groups, couples, NCL air, cabin type, booking date, etc.

On 5/20/2022 at 10:42 AM, ChiefMateJRK said:

I believe that they do.  That said, I believe that the airline business is in a bit of a state of chaos right now with staffing issues.  As with the OP's cruise, flights can get cancelled at any time.

We are taking a cruise on the Breakaway out of Miami in July.  We have had three flights already cancelled...  The airline industry is such a mess.

23 minutes ago, Cindy said:

I’ve read of both pre-cruise tour and cruise only cancellations.. There doesn’t seem to be any rhyme or reason to who draws the short straw.

Someone started a poll on a social media site with the initials FB. The only passengers who haven’t reported a cancellation there are suite passengers and those traveling from outside the US. Other than those, there’s a mix of people in large groups, couples, NCL air, cabin type, booking date, etc.

What would one search on this FB initial site to find said discussions?