Hot Glass Class

kcmo74

My wife used some of her OBC to purchase a hot glass class on the Solstice, as glass blowing has always been a favorite of hers. My question is will we have to sign up for a specific time slot once onboard? There was no choice for day or time when we purchased so just wondering about how you find out or sign up for the specifics of day and time for the experience. Thanks!

I booked this for my daughter on Eclipse - where would we go to pick a time once onboard?  Can we do that in the suite lounge?  (This is our first Celebrity cruise and I feel like the newbie that I am.)

On the Equinox we signed up on the first day when we boarded.  This way we could get a day and time slot we preferred.  We didn't pre-purchase but I believe it would be the same for you.  Go right to where the glass blowing is to pick your day and time.  Maybe someone who has pre-booked can answer more accurately but it's also possible they pre-book a timeslot for you but then you can change it if you'd like. 

Since we were on a hot Caribbean itinerary we chose times just before sunset so it wasn't 'as' hot...but you are right near 2100° furnaces.  😉

I was surprised and happy I didn't need to wear long pants, long sleeves and closed toe shoes as that's what I had to do when I took a class near home on a hot summer July day.  Talk about hot!  🔥  😅

Have fun!   I love glass and it was a great experience to do it while at sea.  

🍹

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, kcmo74 said:

My wife used some of her OBC to purchase a hot glass class on the Solstice, as glass blowing has always been a favorite of hers. My question is will we have to sign up for a specific time slot once onboard? There was no choice for day or time when we purchased so just wondering about how you find out or sign up for the specifics of day and time for the experience. Thanks!

Yes, as said earlier, you just need to show up to the Hot Glass area to get a specific time/date appointment made.

image.thumb.jpeg.495a08c9f171f6dea4e36b72bd647da6.jpeg

Hot Glass, Christmas Day 2019 3pm, Solstice, Tasman Sea, perfect weather, aaaaaah!

• Thanks 1

Book it on line. As soon as you board go to the glass blowing area & select your day & time. We selected first thing in the morning on a sea day. Fascinating process & will definitely do this again. Your final cost is determined on what you make. The bigger the item, the more expensive. One hint. Bring a roll of bubble wrap, they only have brown wrapping paper. Enjoy 

8FEDAC85-9989-497F-A12A-552BF178FEB9.jpeg

• Like 3

1 hour ago, cheeseheads4ever said:

Anyone know off the top of their head cost?

It depends on what you'd like to make.  I believe the items ranged from $75 - $225 on our November Equinox sailing.

• Thanks 1

Here are three photos of the same cabinet with prices that I took during our Dec 2019/Jan 2020 Solstice sailing:

image.thumb.jpeg.6341983344c060c0fd8d217ea6c6b2a2.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.cfbbb341747e6c374ed32e2e961773ed.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.241e7da8044753df1d95067643bf7357.jpeg

Back then, the Hot Glass "class" could be purchased ahead of the sailing thru your Cruise Planner for $59/person or $107 for 2 people.

image.thumb.jpeg.9cdb7e2858e7aabfc81f84e344e72f43.jpeg

image.png.e50c351db6f85a1f63db442170f0bbab.png

Edited by mahdnc
  • Thanks 4

On Equinox you needed to go to the glass demo on the first day to sign up for your date and time.  Get there early, because once they start the demo they are too busy to sign you up.  Pretty much missed the entire sailaway waiting for them.

Preboarding prices were a bit cheaper than onboard if you wanted to make a large item, but more expensive if you wanted small item.  Was $220/2 last October.

After you make your item they anneal it in the oven until the next day.  Then they bubble wrap it and put it in a bag labelled with your name.  Pickup is during classes the next day.  We didn't need any additional bubble wrap for Christmas ornament or tumbler.  And they are HEAVY.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, mahdnc said:

Here are three photos of the same cabinet with prices that I took during our Dec 2019/Jan 2020 Solstice sailing:

image.thumb.jpeg.6341983344c060c0fd8d217ea6c6b2a2.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.cfbbb341747e6c374ed32e2e961773ed.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.241e7da8044753df1d95067643bf7357.jpeg

Back then, the Hot Glass "class" could be purchased ahead of the sailing thru your Cruise Planner for $59/person or $107 for 2 people.

image.thumb.jpeg.9cdb7e2858e7aabfc81f84e344e72f43.jpeg

image.png.e50c351db6f85a1f63db442170f0bbab.png

Thanks for the pics, and the pre-pandemic prices seem to be a steal, it was $120 for a single, and $240 for two this time around on the cruise planner buy ahead deal. Is that just the cost for the class, and the item is all extra on top of that or does some of that roll into the cost of the item?

37 minutes ago, kcmo74 said:

Thanks for the pics, and the pre-pandemic prices seem to be a steal, it was $120 for a single, and $240 for two this time around on the cruise planner buy ahead deal. Is that just the cost for the class, and the item is all extra on top of that or does some of that roll into the cost of the item?

If you bought the class ahead of time, you got the lowest priced items in the case included in your session.  So you were getting the $75 items for $53.50 (if you took the class for 2 deal) or for $59 if you bought the class for one. 

If you wanted to make one of the more expensive items, you paid the difference between what that item was priced in the case minus $75.  My wife made the $100 tumbler.  So she paid an extra $25 during the cruise on top of the $53.50 that we paid in advance.

Edited by mahdnc

2 minutes ago, mahdnc said:

If you bought the class ahead of time, you got the lowest priced items in the case included in your session.  So you were getting the $75 items for $53.50 (if you took the class for 2 deal) or for $59 if you bought the class for one. 

If you wanted to make one of the more expensive items, you paid the difference between what that item was priced in the case minus $75.  My wife made the $100 tumbler.  So she paid an extra $25 during the cruise on top of the $53.50 that we paid in advance.

Awesome thank you, that makes much more sense and what I was hoping it was, still would have done it if you had to pay a whole extra fee for the piece, just wouldn't have been as happy about it.

2 minutes ago, kcmo74 said:

Awesome thank you, that makes much more sense and what I was hoping it was, still would have done it if you had to pay a whole extra fee for the piece, just wouldn't have been as happy about it.

Wow, I just looked at our Cruise Planner for our Dec 2022 Equinox cruise and you're right, the prices have skyrocketed.  Hopefully that means that some of the more expensive pieces priced in the case are covered if you buy in advance.  I think that is what @LeeW was saying.....

image.png.77688e7edbc2274508601d35cd0009e7.png

Edited by mahdnc

Just now, mahdnc said:

Wow, I just looked at our Cruise Planner for our Dec 2022 Equinox cruise and you're right, the prices have skyrocketed.  Hopefully that means that some of the more expensive pieces priced in the case are covered if you buy in advance.

image.png.77688e7edbc2274508601d35cd0009e7.png

Yeah I was perfectly fine with the $120 price tag as long as the item was covered or mostly covered with that fee, I just hoped it wasn't a $120 for the class and another $120 for the item kind of thing. Definitely like the pre-pandemic prices a lot better, but still happy with the $120 for the experience and handmade one of a kind cruise memento.

On 5/19/2022 at 6:53 PM, kcmo74 said:

yes you will, and they fill up on sea days.

I pre-purchased the class for one, then decided to purchase it for my cabin mate as well. Yesterday I cancelled those purchases (at $120 each) in favor of booking the class for two (at $220, a savings of $20). When booking the class for two guests I checked both my name and my cabin mate’s name, because after all - the class was for two. But when I did that, the price changed to $440. So I ended up just checking my name and paying the $220.  Is this what others have experienced in the Cruise Planner?

Anyone who has not done this should know that you do not learn how, nor do you get to actually blow glass. You do get to sit there while the glass blower makes the item you have selected. You do get to to crimp a piece of hot glass or hold an instrument while the glass blower spins it. You do get to pick your colors (usually limited to two).

If you choose a piece that needs to stand upright, be very satisfied that it will do so before you walk away with it.  

When the piece is created, you won't be able to see the finished colors right away. They keep it overnight and you pick it up the next day. It will be wrapped.  I suggest you unwrap it and make sure it stands properly and then you can see the final lovely colors.

They do not have regular boxes for carrying it home, but will make an attempt to find one for you.  Otherwise, wrapping it sufficiently for transport home is your responsibility. Personally, next time I would prepare by bringing a little bubble wrap with me in my suitcase and placing the item well in the middle of my clothes for packing in my suitcase.

I haven’t participated in the class yet, but did have a glassblowing experience in Skagway booked through Celebrity. Working with glass is dangerous and takes a lot of skill just to keep the molten glass on the rod.  We had minimal participation in creation of our glass pieces. Safety first, and they want you to have success in creating a piece to bring home as a souvenir. 

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, outoftowner said:

We booked this thinking we would have more participation in the glass blowing.

Is this glorified front row setup what everyone else remembers?

You will participate. I blew my pieces (this was before COVID, so they might not want people's mouths on the rod anymore [they used to clean the ends with some wipes]), used the wooden paddle to shape, used the tongs/tweezers, etc. You'll get a lot of help, but I enjoyed doing what I did. I have four pieces and all of them stand straight. Well, not the ornament. 😉

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

45 minutes ago, hrhdhd said:

You will participate. I blew my pieces (this was before COVID, so they might not want people's mouths on the rod anymore [they used to clean the ends with some wipes]), used the wooden paddle to shape, used the tongs/tweezers, etc. You'll get a lot of help, but I enjoyed doing what I did. I have four pieces and all of them stand straight. Well, not the ornament. 😉

This most certainly was not our experience. This was also this past January. In fact, we were told that it was not permitted to allow anyone to actually blow the glass. So, the OP should not be set up for disappointment.  

35 minutes ago, Guppy99 said:

This most certainly was not our experience. This was also this past January. In fact, we were told that it was not permitted to allow anyone to actually blow the glass. So, the OP should not be set up for disappointment.  

On the Equinox in October '21 we were able to blow the glass.  There were alcohol wipes that we had to clean the rod with ourselves... I was a bit leary but all was well. 😉

It was a very hands on experience.  The instructors were wonderful.  I have taken a glass blowing class before (not on a ship) and find it enjoyable.  The Equinox class was great.  It was also neat to learn different techniques from what I've done before.

🍹