Onward (and, hopefully, upward) 21st - 28th May

Noggins

Onboard!

If I was the sort to look for faults I would be disappointed! Utterly faultless and professional process and we are already one champagne down, all specialties booked, safety drill done, covid test passed and we are exactly 30 minutes beyond our official check in time. (We arrived a little early)

Life is good.

Adrian

• Like 14
  • Thanks 2

So pleased all is going well! We are on Onward 2 weeks today .What time did you check in? 
We sailed on Azamara in April for the first time and thoroughly enjoyed it. Having been a Crystal addict there were some things missing but the staff were just as good, the food was good, missed the enrichment we had on Crystal and the entertainment but overall we would sail again. 
Have a great time!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

So, let's just address a few bits 'n' bobs.

The pier side covid test was the mildest, quickest we've ever had. One nostril mildly tickled and result within 10 minutes. Charge appears to go to the room.

Our ocean view room on deck 4 is snug but walls are all redecorated ( including bathroom) and new carpet and linens. No complaints. (And no, carpet is not damp!)

Staff interactions all positive - nothing too much trouble.

We arrived about 2pm for a 2.30 slot. Staff approached immediately with greetings - and a stapler!

Have upgraded to Ultimate....  

And our included internet is the unlimited package - so expectations exceeded again.

Finally, Colin & Steph have managed to avoid looking a day older than when we last saw them cruising pre covid. How did they manage that??! (Or is the 'ultimate' impact already at work 😃)

Dinner in Prime C later.

Adrian

• Like 6
  • Haha 1

On 5/20/2022 at 7:50 AM, Noggins said:

It was never my intention to offer any sort of commentary on this trip - and it may just peter out. We'll have to see how time / inspiration/ encouragement(!?) play out. Overall though I have decided to 'blame' Ivi that I have made this start! 😎

This is a trip that was supposed to have happened in March 2020 - in the Caribbean and on a different ship - Royal Clipper. Multiple new bookings and cancellations since then bring us here - with 4 friends. Most recently our Tradewinds cruise was cancelled and it was rapid scurrying around looking for a cruise that fitted a precise window of dates that led us to Azamara. The sharp eyed among you will notice that masts and sails were to have been involved. Two of our party have never cruised before and were only persuaded to come if there were going to be sails. After all the cancellations I had hoped they wouldn't notice a certain absence of sailing equipment but the internet put paid to that (they spotted a picture of Onward) so I had to engage my best persuasive powers. They have yet to be convinced - so fingers crossed. (My brother has just returned from Onward with some horrific tales, laced with reassurances that 'everything will be alright for your trip' sort of comments. I do hope he is right - and that I will be reporting good things.)

As we booked so late there was no question of going to Venice, so we fly to Bologna later with our lives and plans safely in the hands of Mr O'Leary and his blue and yellow planes. Overnight in a hotel near the airport then a van for the hour or so drive to the port.

Have we cruised before? Yes, and on many different lines. Big ships, medium ships, small ships, tiny expedition ships. We are very familiar (and fond of) the R ships that Oceania have. We have been on them all, Caribbean, Med and transatlantic. If we are doing any comparing it will be with them. (Crystal had become a favoured home away from home but that has all come to an abrupt stop......)

House / pet sitter due anytime so that is all the intro. you're going to get. From now on if you get anything it will be what I would want to read reports of - although I'll try to answer questions too - if anyone is out there with any.

Adrian

I will look forward to any information you have to share about the Onward.  We have never cruised with Azamara but have cruised extensively with Royal Caribbean, Celebrity and Princess.   We jumped in with both feet booking B2B2B on the Onward this fall.  A bit concerned after reading posts of "refurbished" ship.  It appears fine for suite quests but for P1 and V1 guests is seems we are 2nd class guests.  Not sure if we should cancel or transfer to different ship or different cruise line.  It's a lot of money to spend and be faced with broken, chipped furniture,  dirty rooms and unfavorable service.  This was a delayed 2020 cruise that now is encompassing celebrations for milestone birthdays for us and Anniversary.  I am trying my best to be upbeat and think positive that all will be fine but it is difficult,Thank you for any information you can share.  In any event have a wonderful cruise and maybe hang pennant flags in your friend's cabin who wanted to sail!

11 minutes ago, Noggins said:

,Thank you for any information you can share. 

Read above!

More to come but remember this is only our experience.

(The shower curtain didn't attack us)

Adrian

I bought metal clips to hold curtain in place!  Raise a glass for me and enjoy

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

We are in a standard V1 cabin, and I'm pretty happy with the condition.  All the "soft goods" furnishings appear to be new (sofa, chair, bed, carpet, wall coverings).  I think the desk/wardrobe replacement may have been on an "as needed" basis, but ours are in fine shape.  If I had to pick something that doesn't look like new, I suppose the sink, if you look quite closely, has a few tiny chips in the surface.  Around the ship there are a few unfinished corners, but you have to look for them.  The only thing of note we've seen so far is that the changing room/showers for the fitness center aren't open yet.

The bus ride from Venice took 2.5 hours for us; not especially scenic, but comfortable enough.  If I were doing it again, I'd think about taking the train to Ravenna on our own.  Organization at the port was reasonable, though I suspect that tent building could get pretty stuffy on a hot day.  It probably helped that the other ship departing today was Seabourn, also fairly small.

Dining room was well organized and smoothly running, uncrowded.  Not sure what our passenger count is.  I though food was up to the standard of our previous Azamara cruise - we'll see how it goes over the cruise.

• Like 7

6 hours ago, Noggins said:

That picture was an experiment. Not entirely successful as I wanted to add a comment....

Must try harder.....

Try commenting first and then adding the photo.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The photo will go wherever your cursor is when you click on 'insert.'  So you can leave space between photos by adding a blank line before inserting the next one.  Or you can add a comment by clicking on the photo, then 'return', then type your comment [then 'return' before adding the next photo]

• Thanks 1

Last night.....

From what I remember, it was very good but I'm doubting whether Ultimate was a good idea - if you get my drift.

All 8 of us had a lively time in the Living room and just as we sailed away we headed to Prime C and a table overlooking the stern and a magnificent sunset as we sailed due east.

Food and service excellent - the meat eaters reported that the chateaubriand was amazing.

There were remarkably few occupied tables.

Then Atlas bar. Apparently no included drinks offered - only Ultimate. It is just like a typical London cocktail bar. There were, maybe 10 people at the bar and we 3 chaps - the others had wisely retired.

We had no need for the extra cost food items - but then they include the abomination that is foie gras. So will give that a wide berth.

Off to breakfast!

Arrival is 1pm today.

Adrian

• Like 6

8 minutes ago, roberts2005 said:

I was wondering if the TV’s are now working full time.  There were lots of issues on the maiden.

Much appears to have changed since the maiden - although our safe appears to need a new battery. But we do have a heating control knob that I understand had been worth their weight in gold!

Our only experience of the TV is that it worked this morning.

Just approaching Korcula - a new stop for us.

A

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Noggins said:

Nowhere seems busy - apparently guest numbers are lower than last week. 

IMG_20220522_121507432_HDR.jpg

IMG-20220522-WA0004.jpg

Thank you for posting your experience.  Onboard in 2 weeks time and looking forward to getting back to cruising.

Thank you for the posts Noggins and curmudgeon98!  

We board on the 28th in Athens.  It’s great to get some advance intel.  Selfishly hoping the passenger numbers stay low…🙃

Either of you doing B2B?

1 hour ago, italyforme said:

Thank you for the posts Noggins and curmudgeon98!  

We board on the 28th in Athens.  It’s great to get some advance intel.  Selfishly hoping the passenger numbers stay low…🙃

Either of you doing B2B?

No B2B for us...😕

I think numbers may be low for quite a time.

I'm afraid you need to hope there's some serious reprovisioning on the 28th....

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Noggins said:

No B2B for us...😕

I think numbers may be low for quite a time.

I'm afraid you need to hope there's some serious reprovisioning on the 28th....

Are you hinting that you may been making a dent in the food/bar supplies? 😄

Edited by lisiamc
  • Haha 1

Well now, where were we ..?

Ah, yes, breakfast. We had a sufficiently shaded table on the rear terrace. The buffet was extensive and similar to what we recall on Oceania. All good.

Then a relaxing morning sailing, a spot of lunch (Beyond burger excellent - we missed the Sunday Brunch ) Ashore in Korcula, a lovely medieval town on one of Croatia's many islands. A pleasant stroll around and a cafe visit to ensure we made a small tourist donation to a lovely spot (yes, ok, I admit we were thirsty too). They appear to be very short of tourists still - like so many places.

There were no delays for tenders in either direction. A low guest count makes a difference here too - but they still ran 4 tenders. I expected the tenders to be very worn. In fact I have seen a lot worse.

Now begins negotiation over where and when to eat. Six people represents the equivalent of herding cats....

Just having a visit for the safe to be fixed. But it seems to be properly broke and a new one will come tomorrow. (So, have to wear my tiara tonight...). Stop press - it's fixed!

Laters....

• Like 7