Marriage Certificate

First off, I know passports are best, but mine was in my purse (I know, I know...) when it was stolen. I will have a copy of my birth certificate (because of course I couldn't find mine) in plenty of time to cruise, but not in time to be certain of getting a new passport. Since I am a married woman, and followed the usual US practice, the name on my driver's license no longer matches my birth certificate. I can't find my marriage certificate, either, but I do have a copy of that saved to my laptop. Would printing that out to take with me be good enough for Carnival (sailing out of New Orleans, if that makes a difference), or do I need to spend the money on a new marriage certificate? I've got time for it to get here, with a couple weeks to spare.

As someone who has checked in passengers for Alaska bound cruises, I have never asked to see a marriage certificate for a woman with a married name.

We are trained to look at the first and middle name, as well as the birth date on the birth certificate, and compare it to the current photo ID (Driver's license).  If it all matches up, the passenger is good to go.

Jennifer Marie Smith 6-12-1970

Jennifer Marie Williams 6-12-1970

If the check-in agent has any concerns, a supervisor is called over.  They deal with this situation all the time.  And remember that most of the check-in agents and supervisors are women, so they understand the married/maiden name birth certificate situation.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Ferry_Watcher said:

As someone who has checked in passengers for Alaska bound cruises, I have never asked to see a marriage certificate for a woman with a married name.

We are trained to look at the first and middle name, as well as the birth date on the birth certificate, and compare it to the current photo ID (Driver's license).  If it all matches up, the passenger is good to go.

If the check-in agent has any concerns, a supervisor is called over.  They deal with this situation all the time.  And remember that most of the check-in agents and supervisors are women, so they understand the married/maiden name birth certificate situation.

Awesome, thank you! I'm still going to suspenders-and-belt it and probably waste ink, but I'll wait to order the actual thing until I'm ready to get a replacement passport later.

12 hours ago, Ferry_Watcher said:

I will only add to this excellent post by saying that your copy of your marriage license is good enough in the unlikely event that a CBP officer does ask to see it after the cruise. While conventional wisdom tells us that it is better to have it this it is something that is not routinely asked for, nor is it required in the regulations. When you changed the name on your drivers license to your married name you more than likely provided proof of the name change, and CBP would see this in the database checks that they do. They do have the authority to ask for documentation that isn't mentioned in the regulations, but they would only do so if there was a bona fide need to ask for it. 

• Thanks 2

I must tell you, I let my passport expire during Covid.  My husband and I cruised last July with Carnival out of Galveston.  My brother is my travel agent and warned me ahead of time to go ahead and get my marriage certificate in case it became and issue.  Luckily, I had mine with me along with my certified birth certificate copy, because they definitely asked me to see it.  I don’t know how lenient they would have been had I not had it, just verifying my first and middle name, with my birthday.  But I’m glad that I had it, because they were very firm in asking for it.  So I’d prepare for the worst case.  

7 hours ago, June Bug said:

I must tell you, I let my passport expire during Covid.  My husband and I cruised last July with Carnival out of Galveston.  My brother is my travel agent and warned me ahead of time to go ahead and get my marriage certificate in case it became and issue.  Luckily, I had mine with me along with my certified birth certificate copy, because they definitely asked me to see it.  I don’t know how lenient they would have been had I not had it, just verifying my first and middle name, with my birthday.  But I’m glad that I had it, because they were very firm in asking for it.  So I’d prepare for the worst case.  

As @Ferry Watcher points out the worst case is that a supervisor would need to look at things. I would be extremely surprised to hear that someone was denied boarding for not having a document that no regulation makes mention of. 

Actually, it is listed under Carnival’s required travel documents. I had no idea until my brother pointed it out to me.  Here’s what the website says:

Names on Travel Documentation
It is important that the guest’s full name (first name and last name) on the cruise and airline tickets be the same as the guest’s non-expired government-issued photo I.D. they plan to use for travel identification. In the event of a different name on the cruise/airline ticket and the guest’s photo I.D. as a result of a marriage, divorce or a legal name change, documentation (original or clear, legible copy) supporting this change is required (at embarkation), such as a marriage certificate, marriage license or legal name change court document. Failure to bring documentation bridging the name differences could result in denied boarding.

Please Note: For newly married or soon-to-be married brides, we strongly recommend that if the non-expired government-issued photo I.D. is in the maiden name, the cruise booking be made in the maiden name (do not include the married name); If the reservation was made in the married name, but the non-expired government-issued photo I.D. is in the maiden name, documentation (original or clear, legible copy) supporting this change is required (at embarkation), such as a marriage certificate or marriage license. Failure to bring documentation bridging the name differences could result in denied boarding.

16 hours ago, sparks1093 said:

As @Ferry Watcher points out the worst case is that a supervisor would need to look at things. I would be extremely surprised to hear that someone was denied boarding for not having a document that no regulation makes mention of. 

Meant to tag you. See my

updated comment.  

My wife and I have been on 8 cruises as a married couple. We have traveled all 8 with birth certificates. While I always bring a copy of our marriage license "its stays in our cruise folder" we have never once been asked to show it. I would bring the copy to be safe but doubt you will be asked to show it. 

13 hours ago, June Bug said:

Actually, it is listed under Carnival’s required travel documents. I had no idea until my brother pointed it out to me.  Here’s what the website says:

Names on Travel Documentation
It is important that the guest’s full name (first name and last name) on the cruise and airline tickets be the same as the guest’s non-expired government-issued photo I.D. they plan to use for travel identification. In the event of a different name on the cruise/airline ticket and the guest’s photo I.D. as a result of a marriage, divorce or a legal name change, documentation (original or clear, legible copy) supporting this change is required (at embarkation), such as a marriage certificate, marriage license or legal name change court document. Failure to bring documentation bridging the name differences could result in denied boarding.

Please Note: For newly married or soon-to-be married brides, we strongly recommend that if the non-expired government-issued photo I.D. is in the maiden name, the cruise booking be made in the maiden name (do not include the married name); If the reservation was made in the married name, but the non-expired government-issued photo I.D. is in the maiden name, documentation (original or clear, legible copy) supporting this change is required (at embarkation), such as a marriage certificate or marriage license. Failure to bring documentation bridging the name differences could result in denied boarding.

This doesn't apply, though--the name on my reservation does match my driver's license. It's just my birth certificate that doesn't match anything else. Heck, by this point, I've had this last name longer than my maiden name.

I always see absolute posts on here that they "will never ask for that" and I can firsthand say that is false.  We probably did 10 cruises with a BC and always took our marriage license.  A Carnival worker asked for it once, Customs twice.  Not sure if anything would have happened if we did not have it but I am glad we did.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Amy Paperlady said:

This doesn't apply, though--the name on my reservation does match my driver's license. It's just my birth certificate that doesn't match anything else. Heck, by this point, I've had this last name longer than my maiden name.

Now that I re-read it I have to agree. The other thing is this- if this were so important and required then it would be asked for every time someone boarded whose name was different on the citizenship document and the identification and they clearly don't do that. We traveled with BC/DL a couple of times with Carnival and only once did the check in agent ask about the marriage certificate. Didn't want to see it, just asked if we had it. And made it quite clear that if we didn't have it that it wouldn't keep us from boarding.