Carnival Europe and carrying on liquor vs. CHEERS !

I have a 12 day cruise from London next year. I've been searching the forum and trying to figure out if you can bring liquor back on the ship and to your room from the visited ports.  It will be Iceland, Ireland, and Scotland. I've read some posts in the past that Carnival is much more lenient in Europe about this versus the Caribbean and Mexico where it's held until the end of the cruise. Some have said a few years ago they had no problem doing this in Europe.  I've been to Europe a few times in the past but never tried carrying on liquor from ports. I usually buy Cheers but I can't wrap my head around the almost $1700 cost now for Cheers for 12 days. If anyone has any knowledge on this topic they could share that would be appreciated.

8 minutes ago, Clairescurtains said:

Thanks for asking this, I have carried on liquor [no CCL liquor police at the on ramp] on a European cruise in the past, I hope to again but don't know if it is still possible. 

Thank you for the reply. Was this at initial boarding or while visiting a port during the cruise ? 

When we boarded at Barcelona there was actually a duty free store between security and the gangplank. I understand there is a new dock.🙄

We took lemoncello aboard when in Italy and somewhere else, don't remember what or which port.

At the time security was conducted by port officials rather than CCL and they really were unconcerned about what you took aboard as long as it wasn't weapons or drugs.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, maryann2 said:

I was  recently on the Carnival Pride TA and can confirm that we were able to take on wine at the ports.

Did not try liquor though.

Hmmmm ..... makes me wonder if it would matter which kind of alcohol.  

I can only speak of our experience on a Carnival Mediterranean cruise in 2013.  We were able to bring wine, as well as Limoncello, on in the ports we visited.  It's been 9 years, so I don't know if the policy has changed.

• Like 1

Carnival's alcohol policy is no different in Europe than the US. Enforcement, or lack thereof, is the only difference. Generally yes, you can carry on, but there are no guarantees. In numerous European cruises on Carnival, I only recall seeing a liquor collection table once.

Carnival used to limit sales of Cheers to cruises where there was at least one non-EU port stop to avoid having to collect VAT on the sales. Don't know if they still do, but VAT can be a significant burden and would apply to just about everything on the ship except for shore excursions which already have it built in.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, snowballs mom said:

Was there a limit on the number of bottles at each port? Thanks!

We didn't ask. It was our first port after Bermuda, Ponte Delgada. There were 3 of us and we carried on 3 bottles of delicious Portuguese wine between us.

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, tallnthensome said:

I have a 12 day cruise from London next year. I've been searching the forum and trying to figure out if you can bring liquor back on the ship and to your room from the visited ports.  It will be Iceland, Ireland, and Scotland. I've read some posts in the past that Carnival is much more lenient in Europe about this versus the Caribbean and Mexico where it's held until the end of the cruise. Some have said a few years ago they had no problem doing this in Europe.  I've been to Europe a few times in the past but never tried carrying on liquor from ports. I usually buy Cheers but I can't wrap my head around the almost $1700 cost now for Cheers for 12 days. If anyone has any knowledge on this topic they could share that would be appreciated.

I've never had a problem carrying on a bottle of liquor or a couple or up to 4 bottles of wine I purchased in port on my Mediterranean cruises with Carnival.  As other posters have stated, I think it's a ship by ship decision. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, WKUTopperFan said:

I've never had a problem carrying on a bottle of liquor or a couple or up to 4 bottles of wine I purchased in port on my Mediterranean cruises with Carnival.  As other posters have stated, I think it's a ship by ship decision. 

Taking them right back to your cabin for consumption? 

I know this has been the case in past years but I am hoping someone who has sailed Carnival this year will be able to verify it is still the same. I did see the post above verify wine at ports other than embarkation so hopefully someone else can share their experience with other alcohol. I do realize it is very early in the season so might take a while for this answer. 

• 1 year later...

We did a 15 day TA from Barcelona to NY May 29th we did purchase alcohol and wine at the terminal before we boarded walked right on and took it to our room.

They never had the scanner machines running when we got back on the ship. Just scanned our S&S card. 

We carried on at least 8-10 bottles of liquor, wine and champagne we purchased in Barcelona this year.  We stayed in Eixample and were close to a grocery store and the wine was so cheap...like 3-8 Euros.  Even for wine that tasted really good. I had bought one of those bags on Amazon that expands for souveniers and it ended up filled with pretty much alcohol.  The coca-cola was more expensive than the wine.  

My husband bought hard liquor in Scotland or Wales or somewhere last year, too, and carried it on. No one said anything.  They totally don't care.  You can even buy it in the port terminal and carry it on. 

Edited by Eli_6