What would you bring in a "Covid Kit"?

pauon

3 hours ago, KKB said:

This product has not received FDA approval.

I notice that it is not sold at any national or regional pharmacy or grocery store in our area.

Only the natural food store sells it.

I see that.  And that is important.  However, it may still be worth purchasing/using as a "it doesn't hurt so why not try it" step.  I don't want to debate or argue it, I just want to know where to get it!  Esp where to get it online.

On 5/23/2022 at 9:46 PM, MsSoCalCruiser said:

I think it’s a great idea to set aside some silverware and cups to use if needed.  We probably should also be packing dish detergent and paper towels to wash the dirty dishes.

Why would you be washing dishes? You put your dirty dishes (covered) outside your door.

On 5/23/2022 at 6:46 PM, Reydnn38 said:

On our last trip my husband became ill and the medical office charged us $50 each time just to take his temp!

That’s insane!  I thought it says on the website, they do not charge ob for covid related illness?  
I’d definitely get my money back or ins to pay for it.  Not right.  What ship?

I thought they also give you a thermometer in the cabin for you to monitor?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, PacnGoNow said:

That’s insane!  I thought it says on the website, they do not charge ob for covid related illness?  
I’d definitely get my money back or ins to pay for it.  Not right.  What ship?

I thought they also give you a thermometer in the cabin for you to monitor?

I'd like to know this info.

8 minutes ago, dfields1814 said:

Thanks to those who mentioned an oximeter. I did not even know they existed.  I went to Amazon a bought one today.   

A very valuable tool.   I used ours on DH when we got covid post-cruise on the Coral. It helped guide us, along with our Doctor, whether to take him to the hospital or not.  His O2 saturation fell to 90. If it went lower, I was instructed to take him to the hospital. 
Also, if you are traveling with others, a "no touch" thermometer is good to have with you since it can be shared by all.  Obviously it will take up more space in your luggage than a regular small thermometer with covers.  Just a thought.
It's so great the way we can help each other out with suggestions.

Edited by suzyed
  • Like 3

13 hours ago, suzyed said:

Why would you be washing dishes? You put your dirty dishes (covered) outside your door.

People who have been quarantined have reported that utensils in particular have often not been included with their food.  I've seen similar reports of trouble getting cups, but it doesn't seem to be quite as bad as the flatware issue.  Thus people may want to have the ability to keep those in their cabin and wash and reuse.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

18 hours ago, carma7007 said:

Just stay aware of your symptoms.  Paxlovid rebound can occur and symptoms can of Covid-19 again

Thank you for that … I was just reading that yesterday.  I’m still testing positive so at least another few days of quarantine.  I’m coping unite well and will be on the lookout for rebound.  

• Like 1

On 5/24/2022 at 12:15 PM, LImom said:

@MsSoCalCruiserIf you can't find "blue" Gatorade packets try MioFit drops (make sure it says" MioFit"-for the needed electrolytes). They are basically the same thing but in a liquid form and they come in a Blue Raspberry flavor. All you need to do is add a couple of drops into a bottle of water and you are good to go. They sell them in most supermarkets, Target and Walmart stores.

Thank you so much!

18 hours ago, suzyed said:

People are talking about hanging onto silverware so they do not have to use the plastic stuff. Makes sense that you would want to wash it, right?  

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Cruise Raider said:

Thank you for that … I was just reading that yesterday.  I’m still testing positive so at least another few days of quarantine.  I’m coping unite well and will be on the lookout for rebound.  

I asked my local health department about testing after finishing my quarantine and was told they don’t recommend retesting because you can test positive for up to 3 months even though you are no longer contagious.  Of course, this is assuming your symptoms have subsided. I think this is why cruise lines will accept a letter of recovery from your doctor if you test positive prior to a cruise.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, MustangGT said:

I asked my local health department about testing after finishing my quarantine and was told they don’t recommend retesting because you can test positive for up to 3 months even though you are no longer contagious.  Of course, this is assuming your symptoms have subsided. I think this is why cruise lines will accept a letter of recovery from your doctor if you test positive prior to a cruise.

Yes, exactly right.  

1 hour ago, MustangGT said:

I am learning that … especially with the PCR test.  I just have a couple of symptoms left and am being extra careful until my DH gets his results back.  
I’m thinking I will definitely get a letter of recovery … once the rapid antigen test turns negative.  We just got a new batch in the mail.  We are supposed to have a cruise coming up in a couple of weeks.  We were supposed to be on one this week as well, but we all know  how that turned out.  

11 hours ago, PhotoGal07 said:

People who have been quarantined have reported that utensils in particular have often not been included with their food.  I've seen similar reports of trouble getting cups, but it doesn't seem to be quite as bad as the flatware issue.  Thus people may want to have the ability to keep those in their cabin and wash and reuse.  

Ok...but we had no issues with dishes nor silverware and our entire ship was in quarantine.  The only thing they ran short of was the trays that the food was delivered on....so they were very prompt in picking up our trays full of dirty dishes. 

7 hours ago, Cruise Raider said:

Hmmm?  This is all so crazy!  Testing positive for months?   We tested positive for ANTIBODIES  exactly a month after first testing positive for covid.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, suzyed said:

Ok...but we had no issues with dishes nor silverware and our entire ship was in quarantine.  The only thing they ran short of was the trays that the food was delivered on....so they were very prompt in picking up our trays full of dirty dishes. 

The entire ship was in quarantine?  Oh my goodness, which ship was this?  Not good.  

1 minute ago, MsSoCalCruiser said:

The entire ship was in quarantine?  Oh my goodness, which ship was this?  Not good.  

The Coral Princess as we floated around South America hoping any country would let us in....nope, They didn't.  For 19 days we tried many ports and then when 2 people died onboard,  we were all confined to our cabins until we got back to Miami.  (Even Ft. Lauderdale wouldn't let us dock)

• Like 1

2 hours ago, suzyed said:

The Coral Princess as we floated around South America hoping any country would let us in....nope, They didn't.  For 19 days we tried many ports and then when 2 people died onboard,  we were all confined to our cabins until we got back to Miami.  (Even Ft. Lauderdale wouldn't let us dock)

How awful. Sorry you went through that.

On 5/22/2022 at 10:38 AM, karatemom2 said:

Given what I know now with my family recovering from COVID following our recent Alaska cruise, in addition to things like masks and tests I would suggest:

Dayquil and Nyquil

Advil

Excedrin (some people get headaches)

Throat lozenges

Zinc lozenge

Vitamins C and D

Tissue

Also, have a quarantine plan in place if traveling internationally - we had actually investigated the option of driving home from Vancouver if we had tested positive before our flight, which thankfully we did not. If that isn’t an option, plan for the fact your return home might be delayed. Take your work computer with you, make sure you have your pets and house covered if your trip gets extended and take plenty extra of any required medication. If you have any concerns about serious illness, talk with your physician before you leave to consider your best medical course of action should you test positive. 

It’s a bummer to have to think of all these things when you just want to relax and enjoy your vacation, but it is the current reality. 

I just read here about someone on another cruise line who tested positive in Vancouver and unable to get on the cruise ship and has to quarantine in order to get back to Dallas. Some were recommending that they rent a car and drive to Seattle and fly home from there.

Whatever happens, I'd recommend Plan B- what if you get stuck at the port town and need to isolate for 10 days before getting on a plane. Be ready for Plan B. 

• Like 1

On 5/23/2022 at 6:53 PM, PacnGoNow said:

Don’t get carried away…now!!

double 😂 

I always pack a lightweight thermos and VIA coffee packs (instant Starbucks) in case the coffee is bad..

The last thing I'd want when in quarantine is warm to cold coffee. 

• Like 1

On 5/23/2022 at 5:46 PM, Reydnn38 said:

On our last trip my husband became ill and the medical office charged us $50 each time just to take his temp!

19 hours ago, PacnGoNow said:

Reydnn38 does not say husband's illness was related to Covid.

9 hours ago, suzyed said:

Hmmm?  This is all so crazy!  Testing positive for months?   We tested positive for ANTIBODIES  exactly a month after first testing positive for covid.

From what I’ve been reading, the PCR / NAAT tests can show up as positive for up to three months after your initial infection.  They use amplification technology and will pick up particles of the virus (not the antibodies) that remain even though they are not viable.   

• Like 2

6 hours ago, lyannea said:

I just read here about someone on another cruise line who tested positive in Vancouver and unable to get on the cruise ship and has to quarantine in order to get back to Dallas. Some were recommending that they rent a car and drive to Seattle and fly home from there.

Whatever happens, I'd recommend Plan B- what if you get stuck at the port town and need to isolate for 10 days before getting on a plane. Be ready for Plan B. 

We took a cruise that ended in Vancouver recently and had a plan B planned as a lasts resort.  We were either going to rent a car and drive across the border into Bellingham one have relatives that live there pick us up.  We’d choose a quarantine hotel there as, at least family was nearby and they’d make sure we had healthy food in our room.  We’d fly home from there after our quarantine was over. 

I would never recommend that someone that is knowingly positive hop on a plane.  I’m sure it happens all the time but, it’s just not the right thing to do.  

Edited by Cruise Raider
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1