Just off the Allure some thoughts, 8 day cruise 5/14 - /5/22

5 hours ago, Itchy&Scratchy said:

wow, solarium bistro does made to order omelets now? They didn't in 2019... My DH was very sad about it.

Back then we couldn't even get into the WJ - long lines and crowded. So, we went to the Solarium bistro and loved it, but they didn't do omelets.

My wife had them a couple of times.  They don’t advertise it just ask the person behind the buffet counter. 

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, topnole said:

I’m happy no one in my family got it,

and I’m quite certain in part that had to do with the protocols in place.  

I'm glad to hear you and your family remained healthy for the cruise, but am curious to know what protocols you believe helped? Pre-cruise testing doesn't work because there is still a ton of covid onboard. Other than that, the only protocols I witnessed was the crew wearing masks. I was on Allure at the beginning of the month and of the 500+ people in a FB group for the sailing, over 75 tested positive leaving the ship from a rough count that was taken. 

15 hours ago, topnole said:

I’m not paid to make those decisions and clearly there are no easy solutions for any of the cruise lines.  But I’m not sure dropping the current protocols is in their favor.  Whether testing helps or not, many folks like the optic of it because it makes them feel safer.   And yes, it would be a bit easier without testing. Particularly for us as we have unvaccinated kids.  But it may well be the cost of doing business for the companies and the passengers.   Time will tell.  

The reality is that none of the current protocols impacted my cruise much, if any.  I think most people feel this way, so I tend to think the companies will stick with the current status quo for a while yet.  It sucks for the employees having to mask however.  

But again, the reality is there are no easy solutions.  A highly contagious virus (of any kind) and a packed cruise ship don’t go particularly well together.  

The solution may just play itself out naturally in the next few years as nearly everyone finally gets Covid.   Hopefully after that, immunity for more and more folks kicks in long term.  Who knows.  

I would agree that there aren't any easy answers, but I would argue that at this point in the pandemic/epidemic, that it is totally unnecessary to remove positive passengers from their existing cabins and move them to a quarantine area.  I think most people would be responsible and stay isolated if they could do that, but there will always be people who won't - just like people who won't report being sick and will be out and about because they don't want to move from their own cabin.

5 minutes ago, MiniChunks said:

I'm glad to hear you and your family remained healthy for the cruise, but am curious to know what protocols you believe helped? Pre-cruise testing doesn't work because there is still a ton of covid onboard. Other than that, the only protocols I witnessed was the crew wearing masks. I was on Allure at the beginning of the month and of the 500+ people in a FB group for the sailing, over 75 tested positive leaving the ship from a rough count that was taken. 

I was on May 8th cruise, crew was constantly cleaning and making sure people were washy washy. I really liked that they were limiting number of people allowed into Park Cafe. Seriously, I think it’s the luck of the draw. I met several people from our Facebook book group and found out later that couple of them tested positive. I started feeling sick five days after I got home, no Covid but still dealing with bad head/chest cold. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, MiniChunks said:

Yep.  Crew masking saved us.  We had close contact for about 30-40 minutes with an employee who tested positive later that day.  That employee was wearing that mask tight as a drum like they are designed to be worn, thank goodness.  

Also, you can say all you want that testing doesn’t work, but that doesn’t mean you are right.  Probably more accurate to say testing isn’t 100% effective, and we all know that.  But it clearly stops many people every cruise from boarding with Covid. So it does, at a minimum, reduce a lot of potential spread.  Plus, how can you saying testing doesn’t work without data on the alternative.  We have no idea what things would look like if there was no testing for cruises because every cruise line does it.  There is zero data to compare.  That’s like saying drunk driving laws don’t work because people die every year in drunk driving accidents.  We all know those laws don’t stop the problem completely, but they make a big difference.  

• Like 6

7 minutes ago, Ukigirl said:

I was on May 8th cruise, crew was constantly cleaning and making sure people were washy washy. I really liked that they were limiting number of people allowed into Park Cafe. Seriously, I think it’s the luck of the draw. I met several people from our Facebook book group and found out later that couple of them tested positive. I started feeling sick five days after I got home, no Covid but still dealing with bad head/chest cold. 

I agree.  It is definitely luck of the draw.  The washy washy is great for some viruses like noro.  It does little to help with Covid.  

I was on the same cruise as you and interestingly I didn’t notice that much constant cleaning.  I wasn’t  looking for it either, but your comment just made me think I don’t remember noticing it the whole trip.   I do remember seeing all the “this table is sanitized” signs on the tables, but some were definitely not sanitized because I saw people sitting there and then leave without it being cleaned before the next people sat down.  I was laughing inside on that one. Not a big deal, but the sign wasn’t really accurate that time.  I still think cruise ships are way cleaner than land based facilities by a very large margin.  

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, topnole said:

Yep.  Crew masking saved us.  We had close contact for about 30-40 minutes with an employee who tested positive later that day.  That employee was wearing that mask tight as a drum like they are designed to be worn, thank goodness.  

Also, you can say all you want that testing doesn’t work, but that doesn’t mean you are right.  Probably more accurate to say testing isn’t 100% effective, and we all know that.  But it clearly stops many people every cruise from boarding with Covid. So it does, at a minimum, reduce a lot of potential spread.  Plus, how can you saying testing doesn’t work without data on the alternative.  We have no idea what things would look like if there was no testing for cruises because every cruise line does it.  There is zero data to compare.  That’s like saying drunk driving laws don’t work because people die every year in drunk driving accidents.  We all know those laws don’t stop the problem completely, but they make a big difference.  

The crew appear to be wearing N95 masks that are doubled up with cloth, so I do believe that those are working to help the spread. The silly cloth and paper masks that are worn by 95% of other people are slightly better than useless. As for testing protocols, you are likely right that saying it is 100% ineffective is incorrect. I would argue though, that with how easy this virus spreads, it is more theater than it is effective. 

10 minutes ago, MiniChunks said:

The crew appear to be wearing N95 masks that are doubled up with cloth, so I do believe that those are working to help the spread. The silly cloth and paper masks that are worn by 95% of other people are slightly better than useless. As for testing protocols, you are likely right that saying it is 100% ineffective is incorrect. I would argue though, that with how easy this virus spreads, it is more theater than it is effective. 

How many are denied boarding due to positive tests on average?   What ever number that is, and I’ll bet it is a lot fleet wide each week, surely helps a lot to reduce the Covid positive numbers on board.  Royal can’t possibly like having to do/require testing.  I’m sure they will stop it when the data tells them it makes an insignificant difference.  My guess is that currently they feel it makes a significant difference to n reducing their Covid numbers which keeps them operating and no going out of business.  

Edited by topnole

Was also on this sailing. I got food poisoning from Chops. Missed all of Aruba unfortunately.

MDR was great all week. Windjammer was very crowded, Solarium Bistro was a big win!!!!

• Like 1

7 hours ago, rflan22 said:

Was also on this sailing. I got food poisoning from Chops. Missed all of Aruba unfortunately.

MDR was great all week. Windjammer was very crowded, Solarium Bistro was a big win!!!!

I read noro was also going around.  Easily could’ve been that.  Really hard to know if something is food poisoning or a stomach bug (virus).  Symptoms and discomfort are typically the same.  

• Like 1

Was on this cruise too. Had a great time. Couple of small disappointments:

- Still no Crown Royal on the ship.

- No lunch in Solarium Bistro

- Pub music was depressing (Schooner bar saved us)

- Many people were there own worst enemies COVID wise

Positives:

- Good meals in CK and Giovanni's

- Legit 2 IPAs (Stone & Terrapin) in the pub

- Great Comedy shows in both the club and theater.

- Found a great Whistle Pig Old Fashion at the Trellis Bar

Side note: Young lady sat down next to me in the pub ordered a drink, said her card wasn't working and then proceeded to rattle off 3 different cabin numbers. Bartender kept punching in the numbers until he identified her. Can see how a less interested or distracted bartender may let it slide on the first try.

4 hours ago, topnole said:

I read noro was also going around.  Easily could’ve been that.  Really hard to know if something is food poisoning or a stomach bug (virus).  Symptoms and discomfort are typically the same.  

I had noro 2 months ago unfortunately so could tell the difference for me. I spent the trip with 5 others and was the only one to order the Cesar and the Ribeye at Chops while everyone else had.thr Shrimp and Filets. All others remainded fine while I felt it shortly after dinner.

Should add, although I believe to have had food poising and was bummed to miss the day of Aruba, once I recovered the next day I was still able to enjoy the remainder of the cruise and I don't hold any ill will against Royal. Just an unfortunate situation. But I'll be skipping Chops on future sails. 

Oh and 150 Central Park was phenomenal! 

16 hours ago, topnole said:

Washing does help with covid, it's a proven fact, as is masks do very minimal help, so doubt that "saved" you.  It's fairly simple science.

6 hours ago, topnole said:

Are you a doctor with all these diagnoses? 

SImply put,  Royal will do what is best from a PR perspective, ie. keep the current protocol, that doesn't justify it is valid, which it is not, but it is to keep perception positive.  If you are concernned with covid, don't go on a cruise, pretty simple concept and no reason to try and scare others away based on unfounded fear you have.

8 hours ago, Big_G said:

Positives:

Side note: Young lady sat down next to me in the pub ordered a drink, said her card wasn't working and then proceeded to rattle off 3 different cabin numbers. Bartender kept punching in the numbers until he identified her. Can see how a less interested or distracted bartender may let it slide on the first try.

Glad to hear about Stone and Terrapin. I'm a big craft beer drinker and the beer scene on board is usually pretty depressing. I can certainly make due with those two.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, rhino7176 said:

SImply put,  Royal will do what is best from a PR perspective, ie. keep the current protocol, that doesn't justify it is valid, which it is not, but it is to keep perception positive.  If you are concernned with covid, don't go on a cruise, pretty simple concept and no reason to try and scare others away based on unfounded fear you have.

Talking about stomach bug vs food poisoning here.  I have no idea what you are talking about.  

7 hours ago, rhino7176 said:

Washing does help with covid, it's a proven fact, as is masks do very minimal help, so doubt that "saved" you.  It's fairly simple science.

Got it. With an airborne virus washing helps and properly worn KN95 masks do very minimal.  

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, rhino7176 said:

Who made a diagnosis?   Do you even know what that word means?  I think you might want to reply to the person I replied to who made a definitive self diagnosis that they had food poisoning.  All I did was suggest those symptoms could be many things which is the opposite of a diagnosis.     

FYI.  One doesn’t need to be a doctor to know that symptoms and treatments for “food poisoning” versus other viruses that cause similar problems (and there are many of them) are the same.  In fact, doctors typically don’t even bother worrying unless there are many people in a localized area with similar problems.  Then they start thinking food poisoning.  Otherwise doctors have zero idea what is what.  Food poisoning is typically delayed by more than just a few hours.  

Even if it was food poisoning, it easily could’ve been from any place the prior day or even two days.  Just think how many likely would’ve been sick if it was contaminated lettuce in one of the restaurants.  Probably a lot of people.  

9 hours ago, Big_G said:

Still no Crown Royal on the ship..

How in the heck can they not get any Crown? That's insane to me. All the stores in Florida are stocked with it. Did they say when they expect to get it? 

Edited by Blauelini

11 hours ago, Big_G said:

Positives:

Solarium Bistro was open for lunch week of  May 7th except for sea days

38 minutes ago, Ukigirl said:

Solarium Bistro was open for lunch week of  May 7th except for sea days

Went in there for lunch saw nothing on the buffet. My wife asked a white shirt if they were serving lunch and he said the no longer serve lunch. 

1 minute ago, Big_G said:

Went in there for lunch saw nothing on the buffet. My wife asked a white shirt if they were serving lunch and he said the no longer serve lunch. 

Oh my gosh you are right, I was thinking of breakfast!

2 hours ago, Blauelini said:

How in the heck can they not get any Crown? That's insane to me. All the stores in Florida are stocked with it. Did they say when they expect to get it? 

One bartender said it was a supply chain issue and another said Royal discontinued it. Who do you believe? <shrug>