Breakaway Dining Question

joestein514

I have  never cruised on NCL before.  I have been cruising on RCL for quite a few years.

Many times during the cruise, they are trying to "sell" dinner in the premium restaurants.  Sometimes they offer BOGO or a discount on a meal.   (40% off or whatever).

Does anything go on like this on NCL?

Not that I have ever experienced.  If you would like to try some of the specialty dining, click that option as one of your Free at Sea perks when initially booking your cruise.  This can be upgraded to include more specialty dining meals, but it isn’t necessary.  

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Desiree Hooter said:

No, NCL does not nickel and dime you like the less prestigious cruise lines. You are in for a real treat on an NCL ship. Once you board, you can tell that everything in the ship is just higher quality than any of Royal Caribbean Ships. RCL ships tend to smell like a public bathroom, that is why you will see automatic air fresheners everywhere to cover up the smells. NCL ships are clean, well-appointed, and have excellent restaurants. I recommend Teppenyaki on the first night. It is a fantastic experience and you will not be disappointed by the food offerings. Teppenyaki is included in the base fare so you can eat there as much as you want for free.

-Desiree

Your posts are unreadable in this font and colour.

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Desiree Hooter said:

What are you referring to? I am quite confused. When we sailed on NCL, Teppenyaki was included in our ticket price and we did not pay out of pocket. We just got a really good deal on the tickets that included that restaurant in the base fare.

-Desiree

I just checked for our upcoming sailing on the Star and Teppenyaki is $58.80 per person.  It's been pay-to-eat on every NCL trip I've been on.  

ETA:  Like YVRteacher said, your posts are almost unreadable in that highlighted color.

Edited by The Shrike
  • Like 3

9 hours ago, The Shrike said:

I just checked for our upcoming sailing on the Star and Teppenyaki is $58.80 per person.  It's been pay-to-eat on every NCL trip I've been on. 

What might not be coming over clearly from @Desiree Hooter (maybe it's the unreadable font and highlight color combination, maybe it's not her not understanding the terminology, maybe it's not communicating it as it is, maybe it's all of the above), she probably used a free-at-sea dinner at Teppanyaki.  That is technically included in the fare and would result in no out-of-pocket cost for the meal once on board.  Of course - you DO still pay the gratuities on the package at the time of booking.

24 minutes ago, hallux said:

What might not be coming over clearly from @Desiree Hooter (maybe it's the unreadable font and highlight color combination, maybe it's not her not understanding the terminology, maybe it's not communicating it as it is, maybe it's all of the above), she probably used a free-at-sea dinner at Teppanyaki.  That is technically included in the fare and would result in no out-of-pocket cost for the meal once on board.  Of course - you DO still pay the gratuities on the package at the time of booking.

That's what I first thought until she said "...you can eat there as much as you want for free" and "We went there almost every night ."  That's definitely not the dinner package.

Edited by The Shrike

11 hours ago, joestein514 said:

I have  never cruised on NCL before.  I have been cruising on RCL for quite a few years.

Many times during the cruise, they are trying to "sell" dinner in the premium restaurants.  Sometimes they offer BOGO or a discount on a meal.   (40% off or whatever).

It seem that things have gone somewhat off topic and away from your question!

NCL (like any cruise line) is trying to make as much income as possible.

Therefore, it seems quite likely that you might feel as if they are constantly trying to sell you something (aka "Nickle and Dime"). 

However, just because someone is doing their job (in the hopes of getting purchasers), it does not mean that anything must be purchased!

We have found it very easy to ignore the advertising in the "Frees Style Daily", the hand-outs (flyers), and the sales pitches that don't appeal to us.  Because, we understand their need to generate that business.

Just smile and say, "No, thank you!"

• Like 2

2 hours ago, schmoopie17 said:

Pink letters on a pink background. Almost like a polar bear eating vanilla ice cream in a blizzard.

Also underlined and italicized.  😵

Generally, Teppanyaki is NOT included with the cruise fare. If a travel agent adds a SDP that covers every night of the cruise (the standard NCL promo SDP plus whatever the travel agent adds), it is possible to eat at a specialty restaurant every night. It isn't "free" nor is it "included" in the traditional sense. 

For the OP, the SDP price isn't discounted while on the cruise. If you have OBC, you can use it on the cruise for the SDP instead of using real money. 

• Like 1

Actually, I don't mind the upsell.   If they offered 1/2 off later in the cruise because they don't have enough reservations I might take them up.   I think their specialty restaurants are way too expensive.  

I kind of think that NCL is nickeling and diming everywhere.   The specialty dining is kinda outrageous.  I get the 2 free ones like everyone else included in the base fare.   I thought that anything above that is incredibly expensive.    They don't even include bottled water in their drink package.

We love Jamies Italian on RCL - I think it is $19 for Lunch and $35 for Dinner - regardless of what you order.  

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Desiree Hooter said:

What are you referring to? I am quite confused. When we sailed on NCL, Teppenyaki was included in our ticket price and we did not pay out of pocket. We just got a really good deal on the tickets that included that restaurant in the base fare.

-Desiree

Can’t read this response. 

• Like 1

20 hours ago, joestein514 said:

No onboard specials. You can get a package free with your reservation. Buy a package before/during your cruise. Or pay a la cart (other than Teppanyaki and Brazilian Steakhouse, there are no “cover charge” restaurants like Royal. Everything is like McDonalds, pick an item, pay for that item. 

Food is included in your cruise fare (as it is on Royal). Don’t waste your money on specialty dining. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, schmoopie17 said:

Pink letters on a pink background. Almost like a polar bear eating vanilla ice cream in a blizzard.

yes, but presumably the polar bear is eating an ice cream cone, so there is at least a bit of contrast, especially if the polar bear has requested sprinkles.

22 hours ago, joestein514 said:

Many times during the cruise, they are trying to "sell" dinner in the premium restaurants...

if anything, i think they try to "sell" the buffet (which is free) to deflect people away from the main dining rooms. there's always a sign or two saying what special is on offer in the buffet (prime rib! seafood night!)... i can't ever recall an overt attempt to upsell additional specialty dining. if the thrust of the question is to ask if there are discounts offered on specialty dining as the cruise goes on... i've never seen that, either.  

my best advice - to maximize value - would be to hook up with desiree hooter's travel agent.       

• Haha 5

On 5/23/2022 at 9:14 PM, joestein514 said:

Short answer is no.  However, you get two specialty meals included with your FAS package.

You may choose to buy additional meals and the discount on those increases with the more meals you purchase.  I'll be buying 5 on my next cruise and it comes out to a bit over $200 pp.

On 5/24/2022 at 8:15 PM, UKstages said:

yes, but presumably the polar bear is eating an ice cream cone, so there is at least a bit of contrast, especially if the polar bear has requested sprinkles.

if anything, i think they try to "sell" the buffet (which is free) to deflect people away from the main dining rooms. there's always a sign or two saying what special is on offer in the buffet (prime rib! seafood night!)... i can't ever recall an overt attempt to upsell additional specialty dining. if the thrust of the question is to ask if there are discounts offered on specialty dining as the cruise goes on... i've never seen that, either.  

my best advice - to maximize value - would be to hook up with desiree hooter's travel agent.       

I thought you were making fun of her -  then I realized that is her actual screen name.

• Haha 1

20 hours ago, phillygwm said:

Short answer is no.  However, you get two specialty meals included with your FAS package.

You may choose to buy additional meals and the discount on those increases with the more meals you purchase.  I'll be buying 5 on my next cruise and it comes out to a bit over $200 pp.

If you buy additional meals over the free at sea ones the best value is two more, as that is offered as an upgrade. If you go for three then that third one is extremely bad value. Then, as you say, it does get cheaper per meal as you add more on.

4 hours ago, KeithJenner said:

If you buy additional meals over the free at sea ones the best value is two more, as that is offered as an upgrade. If you go for three then that third one is extremely bad value. Then, as you say, it does get cheaper per meal as you add more on.

I'm looking at the price list of what's available for my cruise and that isn't the case:

2 additional = $106.80 ($53.40 per meal)

3 = $142.80 ($47.60)

4 = $174.00 ($43.50)

5= $202.80 ($40.56)

It goes from there but my 10 day cruise gives me 3 FAS meals, plus my 2 Platinum, so 5 would be the max I'd need.

2 hours ago, phillygwm said:

I'm looking at the price list of what's available for my cruise and that isn't the case:

2 additional = $106.80 ($53.40 per meal)

3 = $142.80 ($47.60)

4 = $174.00 ($43.50)

5= $202.80 ($40.56)

It goes from there but my 10 day cruise gives me 3 FAS meals, plus my 2 Platinum, so 5 would be the max I'd need.

They introduced the upgrade option for the dining package a few months ago, but only for cruises booked since then, so it doesn’t show up for everyone. It will be there next cruise.

It gives a discount off the two meal package, if you have free at sea. I don’t know the dollar costs, but for my next reservation the costs are:

2 meals - £59 (£29.50 each)

3 meals - £108.69 (£36.23 each)

4 meals - £133.44 (£33.36 each)

etc

its a nice offer, but it does make the 3 meal package particularly unappealing as you pay £50 for that third meal.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, KeithJenner said:

They introduced the upgrade option for the dining package a few months ago, but only for cruises booked since then, so it doesn’t show up for everyone. It will be there next cruise.

Interesting.  I booked back in December (the day after stepping off my last cruise.)  I always book specialties for every night of the cruise.  I think I ate at MDR once or twice, on my very first NCL cruise.  The dining package isn't the value it once was, but it's still quite worthwhile.  And, as a shareholder, they have to make money on me somehow 🙂