Sydney O.P.T.

Interesting.  As an example, Singapore Marina Bay cruise terminal has had free wifi from at least 2016 (probably earlier?).  I know 'cause I used it.  Yep, it was slow because many crew members were using it as well as passengers.  LOL.

On 5/26/2022 at 1:12 PM, LC1950 said:

I would hope that the O.P.T. has dragged itself into the 21st century had free wifi installed during the cruise ban ... airports have free wifi as do shopping centres, libraries, etc.  It's the norm these days and to not have it would seem like the "olden days

I can only go by my experience boarding Ruby Princess with Medallion in Feb 2020. 
After we dropped our bags off, Princess personnel with iPads came over to us and asked to check our details. So opened up our own iPad - started the app and presto, everything we needed was there. At the time it was a copy of ID, photo and checkin complete. All was good so we were sent to wait for our # to board to be called. Up to the desks, collect Medallions - double check details and off to board. Took no time at all.
Have no idea if wifi was required for this or not - never actually considered this. It just all worked. 🤔

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Porky55 said:

I can only go by my experience boarding Ruby Princess with Medallion in Feb 2020. 
After we dropped our bags off, Princess personnel with iPads came over to us and asked to check our details. So opened up our own iPad - started the app and presto, everything we needed was there. At the time it was a copy of ID, photo and checkin complete. All was good so we were sent to wait for our # to board to be called. Up to the desks, collect Medallions - double check details and off to board. Took no time at all.
Have no idea if wifi was required for this or not - never actually considered this. It just all worked. 🤔

It sounds like the app might store current cruise details on your device and only update it, if necessary, from the Princess servers when there is an internet connection. 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

It sounds like the app might store current cruise details on your device and only update it, if necessary, from the Princess servers when there is an internet connection. 

I agree. You will know the answer to this shortly anyway 👍

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Porky55 said:

The iPads  the Princess personnel were using would have been linked to the system on the ship via a secure connection and not a “ public” wifi . They, the ground staff, would have the capability to check someone in without the pax having any electronic device. It makes the process easier if the pax has all the relevant info on their phone but not neccessary.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, gbenjo said:

The iPads  the Princess personnel were using would have been linked to the system on the ship via a secure connection and not a “ public” wifi . They, the ground staff, would have the capability to check someone in without the pax having any electronic device. It makes the process easier if the pax has all the relevant info on their phone but not neccessary.

Thank you for that 👍 Just happy that at the time everything worked - 🤞 for next time - Oct at the OPT for us.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Porky55 said:

Thank you for that 👍 Just happy that at the time everything worked - 🤞 for next time - Oct at the OPT for us.

As long as you have paid your money , we/ they  will get you on. 😂😂😂😂

• Like 2

11 hours ago, gbenjo said:

As long as you have paid your money , we/ they  will get you on. 😂😂😂😂

I dunno about that, been threaded with refusedboarding before todayimage.png.612a74838e260b6ac9b76109aeee2311.png

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, GUT2407 said:

I dunno about that, been threaded with refusedboarding before todayimage.png.612a74838e260b6ac9b76109aeee2311.png

That makes sense……..obviously good judge of character…..they do have standards to uphold. 😂😂😂😂😂😂

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, gbenjo said:

I think they will still want your money first 😂😂

No doubt.

Lots of freebies floating around lately, so the selfie stick crowd had to get jabbed in order to keep getting their junkets.

• Haha 2

16 hours ago, MicCanberra said:

BTW, there is free wifi at the Opera Bar and at the Opera House, also other spots around the Sydney CBD and ferries.

I went to the Opera Bar with my son a couple of years ago, I think he had to mortgage his house to pay the bill, lol.

• Haha 2

44 minutes ago, NSWP said:

I went to the Opera Bar with my son a couple of years ago, I think he had to mortgage his house to pay the bill, lol.

Sounds like dinner and drinks at Chops Grille

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, arxcards said:

Sounds like dinner and drinks at Chops Grille

It was lunch before we embarked Noordam in May 2019 for Hawaii.  Should have gone to City Extra @ Circular Quay for ye olde Victorian mixed grill instead.

Mixed-Grill-b-300x288.jpg.dcf3c63ea8e97220a7930a8a76298568.jpg

Edited by NSWP
  • Like 2

18 minutes ago, NSWP said:

It was lunch before we embarked Noordam in May 2019 for Hawaii.  Should have gone to City Extra @ Circular Quay for ye olde Victorian mixed grill instead.

Mixed-Grill-b-300x288.jpg.dcf3c63ea8e97220a7930a8a76298568.jpg

Yeah, City Extra or Rossini is nice enough for us too.

Had a late breakfast at City Extra the day Pacific Explorer returned, and we have a Vivid/pre-Cruise dinner booked there for Monday.

• Like 1