Receiving calls on an iphone

Hi - I am traveling with others on the oasis and they will be having someone watching over their mother. Will they be able to get calls on their iphone if there is an issue with her? They have purchased the key and will have the internet. They don't want to miss an important call if the they have their phone in airplane mode and don't want the expensive bill if they don't put it in airplane mode. They are trying to see if they need to purchase a cruise plan from AT&T.

Thanks for the help

4 minutes ago, timfan27 said:

Hi - I am traveling with others on the oasis and they will be having someone watching over their mother. Will they be able to get calls on their iphone if there is an issue with her? They have purchased the key and will have the internet. They don't want to miss an important call if the they have their phone in airplane mode and don't want the expensive bill if they don't put it in airplane mode. They are trying to see if they need to purchase a cruise plan from AT&T.

Thanks for the help

They should be able to use w-fi calling in airplane mode on the ship. You can test this at home. Put the phone in airplane mode, make sure w-fi calling is enabled, and try a call. You can also use FaceTime.

Edited by OCSC Mike
  • Like 1

I have had issues receiving calls with wifi calling, and not necessarily on a ship, but even using fast, reliable land-based Internet services.  Sometimes the phone just doesn't ring and the caller goes to voicemail.  With the spotty and bursty Voom service, it might be worse.  I would suggest that the caretaker be prepared to text, too. 

Since being in touch is critical, this also might be a good time to invest in a smart watch because sometimes it will be too noisy to hear a phone alert for calls or texts.  Note that there is no reason to pay for a "data plan" on a smart watch unless there's a need to use it without the phone being nearby and connected via Bluetooth.  Just buy a cheap watch that vibrates and lights up to get your attention when it's noisy.