Newbie to MSC Meraviglia

cruisekitty22

I have similar questions. We have reservations for a Christmas cruise this year (2022), and know little about MSC as we have only cruised NCL Haven. From the MSC website, "For Gala evenings, the dress code is more formal. We suggest a tuxedo, dinner jacket, or dark suit and tie for men and a dressy outfit, formal gown, or cocktail dress for women."

I assume Christmas dinner would be a Gala evening. Would this be the same in the Yacht Club (Meraviglia)? We are Florida folk - a gala evening means closed-toe shoes. And we don't own any clothing like this, and wouldn't wear it if we did.

I'm thinking maybe we should cancel. Any thoughts?

Thanks,

TD

MSC is more relaxed on enforcing dress standards, for the most part.  The dress code is "suggested" only.  Shorts would be discouraged in the dining room on formal nights, and on some ships you mat be asked to change if you try and show up in shorts.  In a Caribbean cruise, the atmosphere is relaxed.  Wasn't sure if the OP was sailing soon in the Med or was asking about after the transatlantic sailing in the fall.  YC is definitely more relaxed. There now is really only one "formal" night for a week long cruise.  I would think a decent shirt and long pants on Christmas gala night would be fine.  You will see probably only a quarter to a third dressed up in any real way.

On the jazz club question, there is no dedicated club, but I'm sure they will have at least one musical act that is likely to do some jazz.  MSC tends to be more eclectic than a few other lines.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, JAGR said:

Wasn't sure if the OP was sailing soon in the Med or was asking about after the transatlantic sailing in the fall. 

December 2022. Meraviglia out of Port Canaveral. Caribbean & Bahamas.

2 hours ago, tuxala said:

I have similar questions. We have reservations for a Christmas cruise this year (2022), and know little about MSC as we have only cruised NCL Haven. From the MSC website, "For Gala evenings, the dress code is more formal. We suggest a tuxedo, dinner jacket, or dark suit and tie for men and a dressy outfit, formal gown, or cocktail dress for women."

I assume Christmas dinner would be a Gala evening. Would this be the same in the Yacht Club (Meraviglia)? We are Florida folk - a gala evening means closed-toe shoes. And we don't own any clothing like this, and wouldn't wear it if we did.

I'm thinking maybe we should cancel. Any thoughts?

Thanks,

TD

We have sailed both NCL Havens and MSC Meraviglia YC. We did Thanksgiving on Meraviglia and people dressed nicer for that dinner. Definitely no formal wear.  
The dress code mentioned was for their European cruises. Now that MSC has hit American market, attire is less formal for evenings. 
Those who want to go formal do anyway. 
Not the expectation.

We prefer MSC to NCL for their YC product. Restaurant superior, with new daily menu.
NCL Haven has same everyday. We did Haven this month and found that we missed how wonderful the meals were in YC Meraviglia last November.

Also, MSC drinks in YC much better than NCL.

Christmas will be a busy time. Plan on full capacity in YC. 

For a holiday dinner in YC, I would expect a more dressy attire than one might find elsewhere on the ship.  Even for a non-holiday dinner, the dress is often country club casual and often a step or two above that level.  

During my Meraviglia cruise, there were some pre-teen children who dined at tables near me and they were dressed very well.  On a formal night, the boys wore coat and tie.  

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...