Walgreens NAAT rapid test

MashaS

I need advice on Covid testing. I have a four-year-old who is not vaccinated (because she can’t be). Is she able to get a rapid NAAT test at Walgreens (since you get results in 2 hours). It’s called a “rapid NAAT test” on the Walgreens website and I don’t know if it’s specifically one of the ones listed below on the carnival site. I called carnival and they were not much help. 
Carnival website says:

NAAT include (acceptable for vaccinated and unvaccinated guests):
 *PCR – Polymerase chain reaction
 *RT-PCR – reverse transcription real time PCR
Quantitative PCR (qPCR)
*Reverse transcription loop-mediated isothermal amplification (RT-LAMP) test
*Transcription-mediated amplification (TMA) test
Molecular test or molecular diagnostic test
Isothermal amplification
*Droplet Digital PCR or digital droplet PCR (ddPCR)
Clustered regularly interspaced short palindromic repeats (CRISPR)
*A rapid antigen or rapid PCR test is acceptable (of the test types listed above).

@Homosassafrom what I can see on the CDC website, “NAATs can use many different methods to amplify nucleic acids and detect the virus, including but not limited to…” and PCR is listed as just one of the types. I don’t know if a rapid NAAT. I just called 2 Walgreens and asked the pharmacists if these are PCR and neither said yes. 

Suggestion:  Go to your closest Walgreens that offer the rapid NAAT. At the pharmacy, ask for the manufacturer and exact test name on the label.

Go home and find the information on the internet for that specific test.

You can then decide if it fits Carnival's criteria.

58 minutes ago, stevethepirate said:

Non vaccinated have to get a PCR test. They send those off to a lab. They can take days to get the results. The NAAT test isn't a PCR test.

There are rapid NAAT/PCR tests.  I recently had one and it took 45 minutes for the result.  The rapid ones don’t have to go off to a lab.  I don’t know all the technicalities, but I know that’s what I had.

16 minutes ago, nwcruiselover said:

There are rapid NAAT/PCR tests.  I recently had one and it took 45 minutes for the result.  The rapid ones don’t have to go off to a lab.  I don’t know all the technicalities, but I know that’s what I had.

I know but this is a Walgreens question. Some urgent care places can process PCR tests. But they cost $125 - $150.

8 minutes ago, stevethepirate said:

I know but this is a Walgreens question. Some urgent care places can process PCR tests. But they cost $125 - $150.

OK, I understand this is a Walgreens question.  I had mine at another pharmacy and it cost $250.

7 minutes ago, nwcruiselover said:

OK, I understand this is a Walgreens question.  I had mine at another pharmacy and it cost $250.

Wow! I've been on 4 cruises since the restart. I had all of my covid tests done at Walgreens and didn't pay anything.

• Like 2

It looks like the Walgreens Rapid Antigen tests are free?? Is that the case, from anyone who has gotten one there? You do need to say that you were around someone for 15+ minutes before/after they were diagnosed with Covid though.

NM - Stevethepirate just answered my question!! Thanks!

Edited by Ihearttravel11

33 minutes ago, stevethepirate said:

Wow! I've been on 4 cruises since the restart. I had all of my covid tests done at Walgreens and didn't pay anything.

32 minutes ago, Ihearttravel11 said:

It looks like the Walgreens Rapid Antigen tests are free?? Is that the case, from anyone who has gotten one there? You do need to say that you were around someone for 15+ minutes before/after they were diagnosed with Covid though.

NM - Stevethepirate just answered my question!! Thanks!

They may or may not be free.  It "depends" on how you answer the questions and they can charge if they have used up the govt money

• Like 1

I will be cruising on June 9th and have already cruised 3 times since August.  Thought I was well versed in Carnival vaccine and testing protocols, but thankfully I decided to go back and review.  I am fully vaccinated and have one booster shot - I am 66 years old and therefore am also eligible for 2nd booster but haven't gotten it yet - waiting to see if there is a summer surge in my area so that I know the 2nd booster efficacy doesn't wear out in the middle of a surge.

Initially we could be tested 3 days in advance, then it went to 2 days, only to go back to 3 days.  So, just before I scheduled our tests for June 6th (3 days in advance) I went back to the protocols.  Looked at the vaccine requirements - says considered fully vaccinated if you have the two first shots and says something about the CDC recommendations that you get boosted if eligible and if they change that to required so will Carnival.  Looks like I'm good to go - but when checking testing requirement, it states that if you are eligible for boosters but did not get them, you must test 2 days prior rather than 3.  

So, that means I have to get test 2 days in advance, right???  Why don't they have that in the vaccine section rather than saying you are considered fully vaccinated if you have the initial shots until, and if, CDC goes from recommending to requiring?  

• Like 2

We cruised on the Pride in April with the Walgreens rapid NAAT test. Printed the results just to have and the check-in personnel did not question anything. If I remember correctly, we did have to make a reservation at Walgreens to get the test.

3 minutes ago, Funroe208 said:

We cruised on the Pride in April with the Walgreens rapid NAAT test. Printed the results just to have and the check-in personnel did not question anything. If I remember correctly, we did have to make a reservation at Walgreens to get the test.

Same but the question is is the NAAT good for someone who is unvaccinated.  The requirement is different than someone who is vaccinated. 

• Like 1

21 hours ago, stevethepirate said:

Non vaccinated have to get a PCR test. They send those off to a lab. They can take days to get the results. The NAAT test isn't a PCR test.

This post should be disregarded. All the statements are wrong after the first sentence are incorrect.

There are rapid PCR tests and a NAAT is one of them.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, MashaS said:

I feel like I am just as confused as I was when this started 😩🤦🏻‍♀️

As you are having difficulty with the very clear information that Carnival has given you, why don't you take the Carnival information to your four year old's doctor and have the doctor tell you if the rapid NAAT test is appropriate.

As I have been trying to tell you, the a NAAT test is a version of a PCR test,  All the types listed in the Carnival information are just the different  mechanisms by which the covid antigen protein (nucleic Acid) can be replicated (amplified) to be detectable.'

Nucleic Acid Amplification Technique is NAAT. 

https://pubs.acs.org/doi/10.1021/acsomega.0c05781

Rapid NAAT = rapid PCR (greatly simplified statement).

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Homosassa said:

There are rapid PCR tests and a NAAT is one of them.

A PCR test (including a rapid PCR test) is a type of NAAT test, but not all NAAT tests are PCR tests. It's like saying a Chevy is a car, but not all cars are Chevys. The Walgreens version is a NAAT test but not a PCR test. 

But it's a moot point because the real question is whether the Walgreens Rapid NAAT test is acceptable, and many people here have reported they have used it and it is acceptable. Myself included. That really what the OP was asking.

23 hours ago, Elaine5715 said:

They may or may not be free.  It "depends" on how you answer the questions and they can charge if they have used up the govt money

Nah. Unless it differs by state, which I guess it might. Here are the questions:

1. In the last 14 days, have you experienced any of these symptoms? Select all that apply

You can answer whatever is accurate, including "None of the above"

2. In the last 14 days, have you had contact with someone who has a suspected or confirmed case of COVID-19? Count any contact that lasted longer than 15 minutes, closer than 6 feet away.

You can answer either yes or no, as appropriate.

3. Are you seeking a COVID-19 test because you have either recently returned from travel or are planning on traveling soon?

This one is answered Yes, and that qualifies you for a free test. (Edit: Actually, I just made a test appointment and got approved for a free test even answering no to everything. So maybe it's free no matter what you answer.)

Then there are questions about pre-existing conditions, pregnancy, vaccination status, and whether you've ever had Covid.

Maybe it differs by state, if the testing is state funded. But, aside from the free Walgreens Rapid NAAT travel tests I've gotten in New York state, I've gotten a free Walgreens Rapid NAAT test for travel in Florida too. And Florida is about the most Covid-skeptic state there is.

Edited by Earthworm Jim