Walgreens NAAT rapid test

MashaS

1 hour ago, Earthworm Jim said:

Nah. Unless it differs by state, which I guess it might. Here are the questions:

1. In the last 14 days, have you experienced any of these symptoms? Select all that apply

You can answer whatever is accurate, including "None of the above"

2. In the last 14 days, have you had contact with someone who has a suspected or confirmed case of COVID-19? Count any contact that lasted longer than 15 minutes, closer than 6 feet away.

You can answer either yes or no, as appropriate.

3. Are you seeking a COVID-19 test because you have either recently returned from travel or are planning on traveling soon?

This one is answered Yes, and that qualifies you for a free test. (Edit: Actually, I just made a test appointment and got approved for a free test even answering no to everything. So maybe it's free no matter what you answer.)

Then there are questions about pre-existing conditions, pregnancy, vaccination status, and whether you've ever had Covid.

Maybe it differs by state, if the testing is state funded. But, aside from the free Walgreens Rapid NAAT travel tests I've gotten in New York state, I've gotten a free Walgreens Rapid NAAT test for travel in Florida too. And Florida is about the most Covid-skeptic state there is.

When I answered 1. No  2. No 3. Yes and a question about high transmission to which I answered no, it would not even let me make an appointment online for Walgreens.

12 hours ago, Earthworm Jim said:

A PCR test (including a rapid PCR test) is a type of NAAT test, but not all NAAT tests are PCR tests. It's like saying a Chevy is a car, but not all cars are Chevys. The Walgreens version is a NAAT test but not a PCR test. 

But it's a moot point because the real question is whether the Walgreens Rapid NAAT test is acceptable, and many people here have reported they have used it and it is acceptable. Myself included. That really what the OP was asking.

For not vaccinated?

That was what the OP was asking. I have used the NAAT test, yes.  No issues.  But we were vaccinated.  I don't think I've seen a clear answer where someone has said they used NAAT for unvaccinated and no issue.  I may have missed it though. 

1 hour ago, 1kaper said:

For not vaccinated?

That was what the OP was asking. I have used the NAAT test, yes.  No issues.  But we were vaccinated.  I don't think I've seen a clear answer where someone has said they used NAAT for unvaccinated and no issue.  I may have missed it though. 

Read the information that the OP posted in the first post that included the Carnival statement that NAAT was acceptable for vaccinated and unvaccinated passengers.

Here is the copy of the Carnival FAQ on this question. It is very clear on the use of a Rapid NAAT for unvaccinated passengers:

What kind of pre-cruise COVID-19 tests are acceptable?

Guests must be tested with a COVID-19 viral test that is either an antigen test or a nucleic acid amplification test (NAAT).

Antigen tests include (acceptable for fully vaccinated guests only):

• Rapid antigen test
  • Viral antigen test
  • Antigen Chromatographic Digital Immunoassay
  • Antigen Chemiluminescence Immunoassay, or
  • Antigen Lateral Flow Fluorescence

NAAT include (acceptable for vaccinated and unvaccinated guests):

• PCR – Polymerase chain reaction
  • RT-PCR – reverse transcription real time PCR
  • Quantitative PCR (qPCR)
  • Reverse transcription loop-mediated isothermal amplification (RT-LAMP) test
  • Transcription-mediated amplification (TMA) test
  • Molecular test or molecular diagnostic test
  • Isothermal amplification
  • Droplet Digital PCR or digital droplet PCR (ddPCR)
  • Clustered regularly interspaced short palindromic repeats (CRISPR)

A rapid antigen or rapid PCR test is acceptable (of the test types listed above).

2 minutes ago, Homosassa said:

Read the information that the OP posted in the first post that included the Carnival statement that NAAT was acceptable for vaccinated and unvaccinated passengers.

Here is the copy of the Carnival FAQ on this question. It is very clear on the use of a Rapid NAAT for unvaccinated passengers:

Guests must be tested with a COVID-19 viral test that is either an antigen test or a nucleic acid amplification test (NAAT).

• Rapid antigen test
  • Viral antigen test

A rapid antigen or rapid PCR test is acceptable (of the test types listed above).

Yes.  But my point was people saying "I used it with no issue" but don't specify they weren't vaxxed isn't useful. 

On 5/29/2022 at 1:59 PM, Homosassa said:

The rapid NAAT test at Walgreens is an antigen test using PCR.

The Carnival cite that you have listed  is very clear that it is acceptable.

The rapid NAAT is NOT an antigen test, it is a Nucleic Acid Amplification Test, which is a PCR.  It is the Abbot ID NOW test.

An antigen test is very different than any NAAT test, please don't spread incorrect information

8 minutes ago, Angua said:

The rapid NAAT is NOT an antigen test, it is a Nucleic Acid Amplification Test, which is a PCR.  It is the Abbot ID NOW test.

An antigen test is very different than any NAAT test, please don't spread incorrect information

Yes, I know that. It was a misstatement on my part as I was thinking of the rapid antigen test at CVS.

I did correct this if you read all the posts on the thread.

• Like 2

Does anyone know if the Walgreens NAAT 2 hour turnaround is acceptable for unvaccinated?   Looking at the list from Carnival, it might be but I'm not sure. I think we'll ask Walgreens if their test is one of the ones acceptable.  Has anyone actually used this?  Thanks! 

41 minutes ago, kicia said:

Does anyone know if the Walgreens NAAT 2 hour turnaround is acceptable for unvaccinated?   Looking at the list from Carnival, it might be but I'm not sure. I think we'll ask Walgreens if their test is one of the ones acceptable.  Has anyone actually used this?  Thanks! 

Think you would need a pcr test.

https://www.carnival.com/Legal/covid-19-legal-notices/covid-19-guest-protocols?icid=advisory_cruisehealth_040122

• Rapid antigen test
  • Viral antigen test

9 hours ago, Ranyw said:

https://www.carnival.com/Legal/covid-19-legal-notices/covid-19-guest-protocols?icid=advisory_cruisehealth_040122

• Rapid antigen test
  • Viral antigen test

So, is a rapid NAAT test from Walgreens acceptable for an unvaccinated child? The protocol page states that a PCR test is required. The FAQ page lists the above. I looked at this page many times and I still don't know the answer. 

2 hours ago, kicia said:

So, is a rapid NAAT test from Walgreens acceptable for an unvaccinated child? The protocol page states that a PCR test is required. The FAQ page lists the above. I looked at this page many times and I still don't know the answer. 

NAAT is a form of PCR but not the one that goes to the lab.

I think for unvaxxed and especially kids, it is the one that goes to the lab that is needed.

At least that has been the thinking for a while now but heck things change so much.

I would re read CCL rules and or call to ask.  I think the kids can do the 72 hr PCR lab test.

If it is an incorrect test when you get to Carnival to check in, there is a testing site on the dock. It is pricey, so I've always gone to my private doctor and had the test administered, and it has cost me around $150 too.