Cunard - can you take spirts on board?

OzzyOzborne

1 minute ago, brio said:

Cunard say (and I have just spoken to them) you can take a "bottle" of sprits on board to be consumed in your stateroom. If you take it out of your stateroom to drink it you will be charged a corkage fee.

That partly contradicts the latest paper brochure which does not mention quantities but does mention wine or champagne (which seems to be a category mistake). It does say you will be charged a corkage fee if it is consumed in dining rooms, alternative restaurants, or bars, but does not mention anywhere else. So, if you want to sit on the stairs glugging, they shouldn’t charge you. May put you off the ship though.🙂

That's the reason I phoned Cunard because I though you could ONLY take wine & champagne on board to consume in your stateroom for a special occasion! The lady at Cunard checked and read out what she has on her computer screen a "bottle" of sprits.

Whether you can take wine champagne AND a "bottle" of spirits I'm not sure.

I assume a "bottle" could mean a litre! We just like a little snifter as we are getting ready to go for dinner 😀

22 minutes ago, brio said:

Cunard say (and I have just spoken to them) you can take a "bottle" of sprits on board to be consumed in your stateroom. The Cunard lady said to put it in your hand luggage.

If you take it out of your stateroom to drink it you will be charged a corkage fee.

Essentially I would say that's a load of rubbish, other than it's best to go in hand luggage to avoid damage if dropped.

Yes you can take as much spirit as you like on board. Though it's probably a bit embarrassing if it clinks too much, there actually is no restriction, and there is a presumption you are going to be sensible about its use. You are not charged a corkage if you consume in your stateroom and you can order a package of mixers on board at a not too silly price. There is also a $100 package, premium spirit and 12 mixers.

It is the sort of question best asked here, the person you spoke to may never have been on a ship in their life.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Pushpit said:

Essentially I would say that's a load of rubbish, other than it's best to go in hand luggage to avoid damage if dropped.

Yes you can take as much spirit as you like on board. Though it's probably a bit embarrassing if it clinks too much, there actually is no restriction, and there is a presumption you are going to be sensible about its use. You are not charged a corkage if you consume in your stateroom and you can order a package of mixers on board at a not too silly price. There is also a $100 package, premium spirit and 12 mixers.

It is the sort of question best asked here, the person you spoke to may never have been on a ship in their life.

Or, as someone on here once said: Cunard shoreside don’t even know they’ve got ships. Not universally true of course.

• Like 3

Pushpit - "Essentially I would say that's a load of rubbish" . . . . .  How can you say that when the person I spoke was at Cunard and she read out their policy from her computer, also saying "include what you take on board in your hand luggage"

13 minutes ago, brio said:

Pushpit - "Essentially I would say that's a load of rubbish" . . . . .  How can you say that when the person I spoke was at Cunard and she read out their policy from her computer, also saying "include what you take on board in your hand luggage"

If that computer then pushes your liquids through the scanner then there's a chance it may happen as advertised. Back in the real world, the company that does the scanning - not Cunard incidentally - are looking for weapons and explosives, not bottles of booze. You are better off listening to people who travel on Cunard, which that computer has assuredly not done.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Pushpit said:

I have never spoken to agent yet who has not told me about their favourite ship, cabin, cruise etc.. and I ring up a lot as I never use TA and book 5-6 trips a year between Cunard and P&O so I am sorry I think your remark about Shoreside staff is unhelpful. 

1 minute ago, Winifred 22 said:

I have never spoken to agent yet who has not told me about their favourite ship, cabin, cruise etc.. and I ring up a lot as I never use TA and book 5-6 trips a year between Cunard and P&O so I am sorry I think your remark about Shoreside staff is unhelpful. 

Some shoreside staff are very knowledgeable, and indeed one person I knew from his time serving on QE2 for nearly 20 years - he semi-retired but now works for Carnival in the contact centre. The point I was making was that you can't guarantee that staff have ever been on Cunard vessel, and thus knowledgeable about the product - maybe they have, maybe not. Whereas people in this board will be frequent floaters and thus would be a better source of information on the whole.

With my recent Aus-NZ QE cruise I was a little nervous about taking spirits on because most companies are VERY strict in Australia with carry-on liquids due to past issues, (Dianne Brimble and the likes)...

I embarked with a bottle of wine in my carry-on backpack and 1L of spirits in my checked-luggage, then at two ports I purchased 1L of spirits onshore which I carried back on through security and the scanners, no one seemed to care, no issues at all.. 

I was glad to have alcohol on hand.. Half way through the cruise I called room service and asked for a beer package, I wanted 6 ciders for the bar-fridge (as per the room service menu), I was informed they have no cider and the only beer available was Corona, ugh... 

• Like 1

This Topic really should be a ''Sticky'' 

You can take on board a Cunard ship as much booze, beers, bubbly, wines, bottled water, cans of pop that you can carry; 

No one blinks a proverbial eyelid lol !

The caveat being ''To be consumed in your stateroom''.

And,

If you want to take a nice bottle out of your stateroom to drink with your Dinner in the MDR then you will be charged the standard corkage fee.
Let the Maitre D' and your Sommelier know at lunchtime, and they will gladly keep it on ice for you, and have it opened and ready to pour for you at your Meal sitting.

Chin Chin.

Ok moving on now.....

Edited by rog747
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, rog747 said:

This Topic really should be a ''Sticky'' 

You can take on board a Cunard ship as much booze, beers, bubbly, wines, bottled water, cans of pop that you can carry; 

No one blinks a proverbial eyelid lol !

The caveat being ''To be consumed in your stateroom''.

And,

If you want to take a nice bottle out of your stateroom to drink with your Dinner in the MDR then you will be charged the standard corkage fee.
Let the Maitre D' and your Sommelier know at lunchtime, and they will gladly keep it on ice for you, and have it opened and ready to pour for you at your Meal sitting.

Chin Chin.

Ok moving on now.....

They also correctly handle, store, open, breathe and decant to be ready for when one dines.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Carnevale said:

What are they charging for corkage these days on QM2?

Corkage fee:
Should you wish to consume your own alcohol on board, outside of your suite or stateroom, you may do so, however a corkage fee will apply. This is in the amount of $25 per bottle, subject to change.

• Thanks 2

Consider having all one’s Dinner Wines collected on day one.   Just speak with the MD.  Copy Menus for the “next day” can be delivered to one’s table to select the appropriate Wine.

For excellent value, look at the Bin Ends on the Wine List, also the Sommelier will have an off the Wine List “list” for recommendations.  Use one’s Sommelier on Cunard, after all they may know more than one about Wine.

• Thanks 2

5 hours ago, PORT ROYAL said:

Use one’s Sommelier on Cunard, after all they may know more than one about Wine.

Our last Somm in PG on QM2 was relatively new and said he was “looking forward to learning more about wine from interacting with other guests”. He was a bit raw but had a good attitude. He did point out that there was a wine from India in the list to try. Passed on that….maybe next time. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, NE John said:

Our last Somm in PG on QM2 was relatively new and said he was “looking forward to learning more about wine from interacting with other guests”. He was a bit raw but had a good attitude. He did point out that there was a wine from India in the list to try. Passed on that….maybe next time. 

Our Guy John was great in the PG last July in the Port Side PG Rest.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 12/22/2023 at 3:36 AM, brio said:

Cunard say (and I have just spoken to them) you can take a "bottle" of sprits on board to be consumed in your stateroom. The Cunard lady said to put it in your hand luggage.

If you take it out of your stateroom to drink it you will be charged a corkage fee.

Not necessarily so, I have seen on many occasions passengers walking around spoiling it for others not following the rules by not having it in their cabins. I also notice," take what you like on" by some posters. Cunard do the right thing I urge fellow travelers to be diplomatic when carting alcohol on board.

• Like 3

44 minutes ago, Down-Unders said:

Not necessarily so, I have seen on many occasions passengers walking around spoiling it for others not following the rules by not having it in their cabins. I also notice," take what you like on" by some posters. Cunard do the right thing I urge fellow travelers to be diplomatic when carting alcohol on board.

How did you know they hadn’t bought it on board?

1 hour ago, Down-Unders said:

Cunard do the right thing I urge fellow travelers to be diplomatic when carting alcohol on board.

My reflection is similar, so this may be a nuance. And as someone who is firmly teetotal I don't have much skin in this game. But my take is that Cunard treats as a adults, and if as adults that means we take on more than the stated allowance then that's OK - but only so long as Cunard is able to be reassured that we indeed act as adults. No some much on the carting on board, more on whether we are collectively sensible in our behaviours, and don't put anyone, or any crew members, in any sense of risk or jeopardy for our actions. At the bars, they can and do decline further drinks to anyone who frankly has had enough. If people then resort to "bring on board", well we can see where this could be heading.

I think I lead an incredibly sheltered life. Despite quite a number of voyages, I have never seen a fellow Cunard passenger on board whom seemed to me to be drunk. I do usually go to bed quite early though. 

4 minutes ago, Pushpit said:

My reflection is similar, so this may be a nuance. And as someone who is firmly teetotal I don't have much skin in this game. But my take is that Cunard treats as a adults, and if as adults that means we take on more than the stated allowance then that's OK - but only so long as Cunard is able to be reassured that we indeed act as adults. No some much on the carting on board, more on whether we are collectively sensible in our behaviours, and don't put anyone, or any crew members, in any sense of risk or jeopardy for our actions. At the bars, they can and do decline further drinks to anyone who frankly has had enough. If people then resort to "bring on board", well we can see where this could be heading.

The “bring on” has been unofficially “accepted” for years.  But do understand one’s thoughts regarding the direction of travel for those who abuse, or assault, anyone, regardless of if alcohol related.  It is well known the penalty for any of these actions is a disembarkation and an indefinite “refused sail”.   An excellent direction of travel.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, exlondoner said:

I think I lead an incredibly sheltered life. Despite quite a number of voyages, I have never seen a fellow Cunard passenger on board whom seemed to me to be drunk. I do usually go to bed quite early though. 

It has been about 15 voyages ago - in the 1980s - since I encountered obnoxious drunks.  A group of well-dressed people almost bumped into my young son and me in a corridor. One of them said to another: "Wow, you almost wiped out that kid."  Since then, anyone who had one too many probably went to bed and didn't bother others.

Cunard's wording of the bringing on board alcohol rules changes from time to time. Before the pandemic there was a comment following the rule of one bottle of wine or Champagne per person. It said (and I paraphrase): it is not our intention to impose this rule but we reserve the right to do so if we deem it necessary.  Although we never bring on much alcohol, this is a civilised attitude. 

3 hours ago, exlondoner said:

How early is "quite early"? 

Golden Lion and G32 / Yacht Club normally go past midnight and I've seen people well oiled. One individual I helped a security guy take him back to his stateroom, he had fallen asleep in the back of Golden Lion and wasn't really able to find his way back. From what I can make out, the bar staff do deny drinks to some people late on, and also have a fine judgement about when to implement "last orders".

I've also saw a couple being kicked off QV on Sunday, I don't think alcohol was the cause there, but it was an unpleasant experience.

9 minutes ago, Pushpit said:

How early is "quite early"? 

Golden Lion and G32 / Yacht Club normally go past midnight and I've seen people well oiled. One individual I helped a security guy take him back to his stateroom, he had fallen asleep in the back of Golden Lion and wasn't really able to find his way back. From what I can make out, the bar staff do deny drinks to some people late on, and also have a fine judgement about when to implement "last orders".

I've also saw a couple being kicked off QV on Sunday, I don't think alcohol was the cause there, but it was an unpleasant experience.

Say 9.30 to 11.30, depending. But perhaps more to the point is the fact that I have never set foot in G32 or the Yacht Clubs when they were functioning as night clubs, or the Golden Lion after about 8.30.

I hope the forced disembarkation was more unpleasant for them than for you.

12 minutes ago, exlondoner said:

I hope the forced disembarkation was more unpleasant for them than for you.

I'm not sure it was, to be honest, the couple concerned with too angry to realise the impact on others. But I'm quite sure the heads of security and housekeeping found it the most unpleasant of all, plus they had to keep their professional voice on. They addressed the woman respectfully as "madam" throughout, when I'm sure they wanted to use other words. She was filming the incident - without permission - so we may see it yet. But it was certainly enough for me to think "I'm never ever going to be that guy / gal".