Fly in a day early but still use Princess transfer from airport to ship?

wildfan2k

I always do that flying into LAX. Then I just catch the transfer at the airport nice and early the next morning. The only hiccup is that they keep a separate list of people without a flight time, so you just tell them you flew in the previous day. Personally, though, if flying into SFO I'd just take the BART subway to the Embarcadero and walk, Uber, or take the waterfront streetcar to the cruise terminal, instead of sitting in traffic with a bus full of unmasked people. It also allows you to stay at a non-airport hotel and get some sightseeing time in SF. 

There are always different scenarios to this question.  If I am are going in a day early just to be sure I am there for sailing day and arrive late afternoon or early evening (especially if I've been there before) , then I pick a hotel near the airport with airport shuttle to and from airport. A quick ride in the morning and I get on a cruise ship bus going to the port.  If I haven't been to the city before and want to see some sights,  I always go in at least two days early and pick a hotel near what I want to see and then just take a cab to the port.  The cruise ships could care less how you get there, they just want a headcount.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

We are thinking of flying into LAX and staying at hotel near airport and then taking the hotel shuttle back to the airport to catch the Princess shuttle.  I have been trying to find where I can book the transfer on the CP but do not see it...any suggestions?

Thanks

• Like 1

On 6/1/2022 at 10:24 AM, wildfan2k said:

Does anyone who flies in a day early for a Princess cruise ever stay at a hotel near the airport, then shuttle back to the airport the following day to use a Princess transfer to the ship?  Does Princess allow that?

To answer your question, "yes".

2 hours ago, alibabacruisers said:

We are thinking of flying into LAX and staying at hotel near airport and then taking the hotel shuttle back to the airport to catch the Princess shuttle.  I have been trying to find where I can book the transfer on the CP but do not see it...any suggestions?

Thanks

If you booked with a TA, call your TA.

If you booked directly with Princess, call Princess.

• Like 1

• 5 months later...
On 6/1/2022 at 1:27 PM, jinpasco said:

Us too. Stayed at a hotel  terminal 4 at the airport. Took the  Underground for sightseeing then morning of the cruise went to terminal 3 and took Princess bus to port. SO easy ! Many times in the personalizer if you have purchased the transfer it will give instructions on where to go to get the transfer if you come in a few days early.They are used to that situation.

Thank you, this is very helpful.  We're coming into Heathrow a day early and staying at the Hilton between terminals 2 and 3.  We'll get in around 9:40am and hoping to take the short train ride into the city.  

We purchase the ship transfers (which we almost never do) and were hoping we could still use them on embarkation day.  I would risk just coming in on departure day, but had a bad experience in Istanbul with traffic and almost missed the cruise.  So we're now too chicken to try that on an international trip.  

Smooth sailing,

Bob

Taxi ride from airport to your hotel is about $20 ISD for the trip. Princess transfer is per person and around $20.00. We always take taxi as there are plenty. Getting to the terminal is about $8.00-20.00.

Edited by Potstech

My booking confirmation for a Mediterranean cruise included instructions for those returning to the airport in Rome to get the transfer to Civitavecchia. Obviously, they expect many to do it

Edited by Torfamm
  • Like 1

This was before Covid, but we have always booked our flight and hotel through Princess.  Yes, it is pricy, but I look at it as insurance.  It is always a very nice hotel in a nice neighborhood, and it includes transportation from the airport to the hotel and hotel to the ship.  And most of the time a nice breakfast buffet at the hotel.  This is way above our paygrade, but we are on vacation...and the insurance.  We are Princess' baby from our home airport to the ship.

We always have flown in world wide 3 or 4 days early to sightsee and relax before boarding.  The extra days are booked through Princess.  There has never been anyone else at the airport this early, so Princess has always had a private car for us.

So, as you can see, I highly recommend the Princess hotel and EZ Air.  You do get what you pay for.

Edited by 2 cruises a year

We recently did it in San Francisco. We did not care if we had time to sightsee so stayed at a hotel near the airport which included shuttle. On the day of the cruise, shuttle took us back to airport and correct terminal. Your booking will give you instructions as to how to meet Princess Rep at the airport. It was quite easy and I can send instructions if needed. Other times we have stayed at same airport hotel and taken LYFT to ship from hotel-Also easy.

We are flying into IAH and staying near the airport (free shuttle from IAH to Hotel). Seeing things in the area and then using free hotel shuttle back to IAH the next day and catching Princess transfer to pier in Galveston. It just made sense to us for what we wanted to do and avoiding snow or ice delays in Kansas City, MO and the high stress that comes with fear of missing the ship by traveling on the same day as the cruise leaving. Princess is aware of our plans and they have no qualms about it. I say go for it! I totally understand your reasoning! Happy cruising!

• Like 2

16 hours ago, Cruising Shar Pei Mom said:

We are flying into IAH and staying near the airport (free shuttle from IAH to Hotel). Seeing things in the area and then using free hotel shuttle back to IAH the next day and catching Princess transfer to pier in Galveston. It just made sense to us for what we wanted to do and avoiding snow or ice delays in Kansas City, MO and the high stress that comes with fear of missing the ship by traveling on the same day as the cruise leaving. Princess is aware of our plans and they have no qualms about it. I say go for it! I totally understand your reasoning! Happy cruising!

We are doing the exact same thing next month.