NCL Getaway July 9-16, 2022-H9-Live w/pics

graphicguy

5 minutes ago, luvcruzing said:

After reading about the good hotel price you got for Cocoa Beach using Trivago, I decided to check prices out for my November cruise.  On the Trivago website, I clicked on the hotel I thought I might choose to stay at, and it immediately took me to Booking.com. Same company or affiliated?

Trivago is owned by Expedia.  Booking.com is owned by Priceline.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, debenson0723 said:

Trivago is owned by Expedia.  Booking.com is owned by Priceline.

I’ve probably had 20 written exchanges with booking.com.  Probably a ⅓ of them were replies from the Netherlands and either in German or Dutch.  Their price match policy is clearly just a marketing tool.  They don’t actually honor their own policy.

I’ve turned it over to AMEX given I’ve contested the charge.

Long and short of it, regardless of their increased recent marketing efforts, booking.com has provenj to be untrustworthy.

Trivago is a web aggregator that searches web prices.  Booking us an actual booking site, like hotels.com.  It’s just that you can’t trust booking.com.

Edited by graphicguy
  • Like 1

AMEX comes through.  Just got an email this a.m. that they are crediting $109.45 back to me based on their research of Booking.com's terms.

This is one of the reasons I pay as much as I do for AMEX Platinum's Annual Fee.  Their OBC is another.  And, their travel insurance is another.  And.....and....and......!!!!

• Like 4

1 hour ago, graphicguy said:

AMEX comes through.  Just got an email this a.m. that they are crediting $109.45 back to me based on their research of Booking.com's terms.

This is one of the reasons I pay as much as I do for AMEX Platinum's Annual Fee.  Their OBC is another.  And, their travel insurance is another.  And.....and....and......!!!!

Does their travel insurance include med evac?

That's why we upgraded to Chase Sapphire Reserve.

With our travel taking a big uptick now, looked into an annual travel insurance plan.

Well, with the Reserve's $550 annual fee, you get a $300 travel credit off ANY travel charge.

So even if I use it for nothing else (tho I use it for ALL travel expenses), $250/yr for comprehensive travel insurance is a bargain.

10 hours ago, KKB said:

Does their travel insurance include med evac?

That's why we upgraded to Chase Sapphire Reserve.

With our travel taking a big uptick now, looked into an annual travel insurance plan.

Well, with the Reserve's $550 annual fee, you get a $300 travel credit off ANY travel charge.

So even if I use it for nothing else (tho I use it for ALL travel expenses), $250/yr for comprehensive travel insurance is a bargain.

It’s actually not bad insurance……

https://www.americanexpress.com/idc/en/benefits/the-platinum-card/platinum-insurance.html

Edited by graphicguy

On 6/4/2022 at 11:20 AM, graphicguy said:

Well....I done did it.

It's my Birthday Month.  So, as a present to me, I booked a Haven Spa Suite on the Getaway.  This one is solo.  

It just occurred to me...

We are BOTH sailing next week.

And we are BOTH on the Getaway this month & next.

It's a damn shame we didn't line BOTH of those up!

For being retired now, I sure have a ton of loose ends to tie up before Friday!

• Haha 1

Hope everyone had a great July 4th, whether or not you were celebrating something (as my U.S. compadres were), or it was just another Monday (like the rest of the non-U.S. world was doing).  

Entering into "laundry phase" of my trip. Or, also known as "what will I take, and what do I have to still go buy".  For example, the Oakley's I bought 3 months ago for $200 now have a big scratch.  Don't know how it happened, as I always put them in a case in my car.  But, what I thought was a smudge as I was bobbing in my pool with family yesterday, turned out to be a 1" scratch, which was making me (even more) nuts while wearing them all day.

I know this makes some people crazy (like the woman I've let hog my sheets  the last 10 years of my life), but I wing it when packing.  I guess I've done this so many times, I have grown to rely on muscle memory.  I will forget something.  Even when I used to make a packing list, I would forget to include something on my list, which it turn meant I forget to pack something.

Posted this before in other threads, but it bears repeating (at least for my own record keeping).  For Caribbean, Mexican, Dominican, Bahamas, Haiti, etc cruises of 7 nights or less, I used nothing but carryons.  That means 1 roll aboard and one backpack.  Rollaboard goes in the overhead bins, back pack goes under the seat.

Cold weather cruises, (Washington State, Western/Northern Canada, Alaska, Northeast U.S., winter in the EU) or cruises OVER 7 nights, where more bulky clothes like sweatshirts, coats, parkas, etc rule the day, or I just need more clothes, the medium sized (checked bag) rollaboard comes out.

This cruise isn't the latter.  This cruise is Puerto Rico, Dominican Republic and NCL's private island....shorts, swin trunks and Hawaiian Shirts rule.  Throw in some Crocs, Tennis shoes (for walking) and one pair of cargo pants for Le Bistro, along with underwear, electric razor, toothbrush, toothpaste, deodorant, meds (including high hydration packets), and that's it.

iPad, cables, phone, GoPro, Bluetooth speaker go into back pack...

That's it!  

I've found cruise ship soaps, shampoos and conditioners (yeah, like I would use conditioners) are all pretty good these days, especially if you're staying in the Haven (don't remember what NCL uses...L'Occitane, Biggelow...?????).  So, no need to pack those.

I believe all paperwork is done.  Pre-tested with one of my free home COVID tests this a.m.  All good.  Will do proctored test with another free COVID test ($15 for the proctored service, though) pm Thursday.  Walgreens drive thru COVID test as back up (insurance covers this) in case the home test is somehow defective.

Going to bank today to get "gambling cash" and excursion pocket money.

Flight reservation (with back up flights identified)-check

Hotel (thanks AMEX for your help)-check

Transportation to/from airport/hotel/cruise port-check

Vaccination card-check

NCL checkin ticket and CC on file-check

Passport and Passport card (for wallet)-check

Travel Insurance-check

I think that's it....(I THINK)!

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, KKB said:

It just occurred to me...

We are BOTH sailing next week.

And we are BOTH on the Getaway this month & next.

It's a damn shame we didn't line BOTH of those up!

For being retired now, I sure have a ton of loose ends to tie up before Friday!

I know.  What's wrong with me?  We'll cross paths sooner rather than later.

BTW...saw you scored VIBE passes.  Well done!

21 minutes ago, KKB said:

Yeah, medevac was the key reason for reserve...I don't see it here.

My cousin got injured in the Caribbean & had a $30K medevac to the states.

OUCH

I bought other insurance, too for that very reason (AIG).  Still, AMEX can be supplemental.

Edited by graphicguy

4 minutes ago, graphicguy said:

I know.  What's wrong with me?  We'll cross paths sooner rather than later.

BTW...saw you scored VIBE passes.  Well done!

Yes, we shall.

The Vibe thing was BIG.

I knew I odds were unlikely to score it for week one with a 9:50 shuttle from Orlando. 

I am pondering the Sanctuary on the Caribbean Princess as well. 

DH doesn't sit long in deck chair, so I will secure for week 2. 

Plus I will know the schedule a bit more & can pick & choose my days/time & save a few $.

We have $400 OBC on each cruise (still TRYING to get that $100 more for our shareholders credit)

18 minutes ago, KKB said:

Yes, we shall.

The Vibe thing was BIG.

I knew I odds were unlikely to score it for week one with a 9:50 shuttle from Orlando. 

I am pondering the Sanctuary on the Caribbean Princess as well. 

DH doesn't sit long in deck chair, so I will secure for week 2. 

Plus I will know the schedule a bit more & can pick & choose my days/time & save a few $.

We have $400 OBC on each cruise (still TRYING to get that $100 more for our shareholders credit)

We've debated about sailing Princess.  Just have never found an itinerary and/or price we were interested in.

GF is pressing for us to to do the Solstice in October.  That's looking more and more likely.  As I told her last night..."Book it and I will come"!

2 minutes ago, graphicguy said:

GF is pressing for us to to do the Solstice in October.  That's looking more and more likely.  As I told her last night..."Book it and I will come"!

That is DH's POV too.

Well, EXCEPT during golf league (1x max per season)

AND avoid Husker football home games.

So NOW you know why there are some solo trips tossed in there!

• Haha 1

32 minutes ago, graphicguy said:

shorts, swin trunks and Hawaiian Shirts rule

My official Caribbean cruise uniform 😉  

Following this as I'll be on the Getaway the 13th and 20th of August.  Enjoy your cruise! 

Pat

• Like 1

1 hour ago, graphicguy said:

I believe all paperwork is done.  Pre-tested with one of my free home COVID tests this a.m.  All good.  Will do proctored test with another free COVID test ($15 for the proctored service, though) pm Thursday.  Walgreens drive thru COVID test as back up (insurance covers this) in case the home test is somehow defective.

Curious--what proctored test provider are you using?

Friends found a nearby lab, walk in rapid test for $30 each. 

(NO idea how..could not find it online; and it is one of our hospital's lab)

Edited by KKB
  • Like 1

So....the way it works, they give you a ZOOM meeting invite, with a time/date to joint the meeting.  You fill out the information they request before the meeting (name, address, pic of insurance and pic of driver's license, etc).

Using your computer camera and audio (which is what I did), you show the testing box, remove the contents, do the test...all while on audio and video.  Based on the test type, they knew exactly what the procedure was.  I knew it before hand as I have taken this same test at home at least a 1/2 dozen times.

-Swab each nostril

-put the swab in the vial

-Swish and squeeze the vial

-put 3 drops of liquid in the hole on the stick

-wait....wait....wait...

-show the results to the camera (and in turn, the lab person on the other end)

If negative, you do a little dance.  And, they email hardcopy results.

That's it.

• Like 6

59 minutes ago, luvcruzing said:

I didn’t know these could be proctored until I read it here, so thank you.  

You are very welcome.   The iHealth test is the one sent by the FDA/CDC at no charge.  The proctored testing service will Procter any of the legitimate home tests (link in top post on this page).

Josh, my Procter, said he procters about 3 tests/hour.  They then send a PDF with your info and results to print out.

• Like 2