What services do a butler offer?

1 hour ago, Cruisegoer said:

Challenge him????  Why should he be subject to your challenges? If you have a reasonable request or need sure but CHALLENGE? No wonder the service industry, including cruise ships, is losing staff by the thousands.

Excellent response !!

Gotta remember-- There are some people that will never be satisfied or look for " reasons " ( ?? ) to complain no matter how hard the Butler, Server, etc tries . 

Who do you think is in the " Remove Gratuities Here " line ?

( Perhaps I read the term " Challenge " out of context  )??

21 hours ago, HC2023 said:

Just a question (new user here!) but which rooms get a butler? Is it every Retreat level room or just the "big" suites?

They are available to all Retreat Cabins from Sky Suites up.    BTW they dropped the name Butler and call them Personal Retreat Hosts.   and BTW I still call them Butlers... LOL

I seem to remember on a similar thread to this not long ago that a suite guest asked for a bath to drawn by the host/butler. Not my thing but to each his own😀

ian

Edited by abritinva
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, abritinva said:

I seem to remember on a similar thread to this not long ago that a suite guest asked for a bath to drawn by the host/butler. Not my thing but to each his own😀

ian

I would like to be towel dried, but I'm guessing that's too much to ask. 

• Haha 7

They also take your drink orders, bring you coffee or Cappuccino and refresh you Ice 2x a day.    

I was under the impression that you could not have drinks brought to your suite other than the 2 bottles of any type of liquor in the upper level suite and the complimentary sparkling wine / champagne upon boarding.  Please clarify.  Thanks!

8 minutes ago, peanut head said:

They also take your drink orders, bring you coffee or Cappuccino and refresh you Ice 2x a day.    

I was under the impression that you could not have drinks brought to your suite other than the 2 bottles of any type of liquor in the upper level suite and the complimentary sparkling wine / champagne upon boarding.  Please clarify.  Thanks!

They are happy to $erve their customers with any reasonable request 

34 minutes ago, abritinva said:

that a suite guest asked for a bath to drawn by the host/butler.

Talk about " Entitlement " --

To me it's a disgrace to call their Butler to come to turn on a friggin tap --- next thing you know, the water would be too hot, too cold, too high or too low in the tub--- followed by a poor tip because of it !!

Luckily for them that I was not their Butler--- 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Pinboy said:

To me it's a disgrace to call their Butler to come to turn on a friggin tap --- next thing you know, the water would be too hot, too cold, too high or too low in the tub--- followed by a poor tip because of it !!

But just think of the fun we could have here with a poster who announced to the all important CC world that they do this.  OMG the possibilities are endless!

Edited by LGW59
  • Like 2

14 minutes ago, peanut head said:

In our experience it is not part of the butler’s role to bring alcoholic drinks to your room even in a top suite…

I am not saying that if you have ordered room service they may not offer to bring wine etc but even when we cruise in the PH we would not phone the butler to bring alcoholic beverages. If we want a drink mid afternoon (not stocked in our room) we will go and get it. If we want a late night drink on the balcony we will bring it back with us.

Retreat Hosts/Butlers try hard to offer a personalised service but they are a shared service. Their role is described clearly and most of us respect their role and use their service but do not abuse it…

The big concern is if lots of guests board expecting drink service in suites the butlers are placed under pressure. If they refuse to bring drinks they are worried about bad reviews or responses like ‘our last butler always…’. However, if they provide the service the time comes out of that shared pool of time the butler has to divide between all guests.

2 minutes ago, chemmo said:

In our experience it is not part of the butler’s role to bring alcoholic drinks to your room even in a top suite…

I am not saying that if you have ordered room service they may not offer to bring wine etc but even when we cruise in the PH we would not phone the butler to bring alcoholic beverages. If we want a drink mid afternoon (not stocked in our room) we will go and get it. If we want a late night drink on the balcony we will bring it back with us.

Retreat Hosts/Butlers try hard to offer a personalised service but they are a shared service. Their role is described clearly and most of us respect their role and use their service but do not abuse it…

The big concern is if lots of guests board expecting drink service in suites the butlers are placed under pressure. If they refuse to bring drinks they are worried about bad reviews or responses like ‘our last butler always…’. However, if they provide the service the time comes out of that shared pool of time the butler has to divide between all guests.

In my personal experience the butlers have offered it when I asked asked for a fruit or cheese plate.  They are doing a task either way and again, in my experience they have offered, $o I gladly accept.

12 minutes ago, LGW59 said:

In my personal experience the butlers have offered it when I asked asked for a fruit or cheese plate.  They are doing a task either way and again, in my experience they have offered, $o I gladly accept.

I think there is a big difference between you ordering a cheese plate and the butler offering to bring you a port to go with it and a suite guest boarding thinking it is ‘normal practice’ to phone the butler and expect drinks to be delivered at any time.

Totally agree $ are earned and appreciated by butler’s going above and beyond but equally on a forum like this I do think we have a responsibility to make it clear that the general rule is that butlers do not usually offer in suite alcoholic beverage service. 

Edited by chemmo
  • Like 3

40 minutes ago, Pinboy said:

Celebrity actually suggests this as one way to make use of your Retreat Host so although it is not something I personally would do, I’m not sure I would go so far as calling some entitled for accepting a service offered to them. 

https://www.celebritycruises.com/blog/cruise-butler

• Like 6

4 hours ago, prmssk said:

Celebrity actually suggests this as one way to make use of your Retreat Host so although it is not something I personally would do, I’m not sure I would go so far as calling some entitled for accepting a service offered to them. 

https://www.celebritycruises.com/blog/cruise-butler

So, you return from a day of touring -- you're zapped and loaded down with all kinds of good " stuff " ( ?? ) that you couldn't resist buying ( sales never seen before and special ( ?? ) prices for your cruise ), and just want a bath/shower and have a snooze before dinner---- 

Are you going to call your Butler , wait for him/her ( who knows how long ) to come to your suite just to turn on a tap and pull down a bedspread ??

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Pinboy said:

So, you return from a day of touring -- you're zapped and loaded down with all kinds of good " stuff " ( ?? ) that you couldn't resist buying ( sales never seen before and special ( ?? ) prices for your cruise ), and just want a bath/shower and have a snooze before dinner---- 

Are you going to call your Butler , wait for him/her ( who knows how long ) to come to your suite just to turn on a tap and pull down a bedspread ??

🛁 what’s wrong with asking the butler for a little cuddle$ and bubble$ 🙇‍♂️🙇‍♀️

• Haha 4

21 minutes ago, Pinboy said:

How is asking for a bath to be drawn any different than asking for a snack you could get yourself from the buffet or a specialty coffee in the morning you could go get yourself from Cafe al Bacio?  

Cruising in a suite is a luxury.  Retreat Hosts/Butlers are there to do these extra special things that we absolutely could do ourselves.  I agree we should always keep in mind our Butlers serve many passengers but we aren't entitled to ask for things they are willing to offer and that is actually a part of their job.  For some people that might be a having a bath drawn.  For others it might be that cheese plate in the afternoon.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Pinboy said:

I've yet to hear of anyone just ringing up their Retreat Host and saying "hey, come draw me a bath."

However, we've been asked more than once if we'd like to have a bath drawn. It's been offered to be ready when we were to return from a long day, it's been offered for formal night, and it's been just an open offer. 

If you don't like the sound of it, then don't ask for it and drive on, but it's most certainly something they are ready, willing, able, and glad to do. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Libra1975 said:

Ooo according to that they will press shirts, my husband was not happy about having to wear wrinkled shirts....

Free laundry, including pressing is a great perk of upper suites. There is also some free laundry and pressing for guests Elite and above. 

12 hours ago, LGW59 said:

🛁 what’s wrong with asking the butler for a little cuddle$ and bubble$ 🙇‍♂️🙇‍♀️

LOL--- You are smarter than me --- I never thought of that.

Where d'ya see that "option "( ?? ) listed ??

However, I don't want to be banned from cruising on Celebrity , and besides , I have a putting tournament to defend from 2013 !!!

From post #44 " If you don't like the sound of it, then don't ask for it and drive on, but it's most certainly something they are ready, willing, able, and glad to do ".

That's sound advice --- Lastly, the Butlers have several suites to service--Does anyone " really " believe 

they are ready, willing, able, and glad to  come to your suite and turn on a tap ?

From post #43 "How is asking for a bath to be drawn any different than asking for a snack you could get yourself from the buffet or a specialty coffee in the morning you could go get yourself from Cafe al Bacio?  

Of course it's different --- Getting a snack or a specialty coffee requires " preparing and delivering "---- drawing a bath requires the Butler come to your suite to " turn a tap ".

Whatever--- Ce n'est pas pour moi  ( It's not for me  ).

• Like 1

20 hours ago, mfs2k said:

I would like to be towel dried, but I'm guessing that's too much to ask. 

Hello,

I think it would depend on the size of the tip.

Regards,

Cublet

58 minutes ago, cublet said:

Hello,

I think it would depend on the size of the tip.

Regards,

Cublet

Speaking of which--and I know this is a highly subjective decision--but is there any sort of additional tip range if you feel your host has gone above and beyond?  Clearly their basic tip is already included in the cruise fare, but roughly how much additional to tip for particularly excellent service, either per person/cabin?

8 hours ago, chemmo said:

Free laundry, including pressing is a great perk of upper suites. There is also some free laundry and pressing for guests Elite and above. 

Pretty sure we don't get free laundry at Sky Suite level but ironing would be fantastic.

• Like 1