Pacific Dawn to be replaced by ??----

Well , for a start Coral Princess  plus Pacific Encounter (ex Star Princess) plus I am sure other ships which others here will tell us about -   even if there are no others Coral and ex-Star are a massive increase in capacity over tiny Dawnie ( and Pacific Sun before her) . How are they going to fill them??? 

3 minutes ago, bazzaw said:

Well , for a start Coral Princess  plus Pacific Encounter (ex Star Princess) plus I am sure other ships which others here will tell us about -   even if there are no others Coral and ex-Star are a massive increase in capacity over tiny Dawnie ( and Pacific Sun before her) . How are they going to fill them??? 

People are lining up to cruise Barry. P and O Aurora would go well here, been on her, nice ship.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, bazzaw said:

Hi not sure of your question😃

The Sun Class ships were approximately the same size of the Coral Princess.

Assuming you are referring to the number of ships home porting Brisbane...🤨

If we get more ships base here, that might be great, if they have difficulty filling them, maybe we will see some good fare discounts.🤗

• Like 1

Short term, I think they will struggle to fill them out of season, as it is a different world now.

It was a 5 ship market for them with Eden, Pearl, Aria, Jewel & Dawn. Explorer indirectly replaced Jewel & Pearl, so that leaves the two larger ships to replace the other three.

Carnival Australia will juggle this though. Not that long ago we had 3 Princess ships year round, and were meant to have two Carnival ships. They can balance it all out so they aren't competing for passengers that aren't there.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, arxcards said:

Short term, I think they will struggle to fill them out of season, as it is a different world now.

It was a 5 ship market for them with Eden, Pearl, Aria, Jewel & Dawn. Explorer indirectly replaced Jewel & Pearl, so that leaves the two larger ships to replace the other three.

Carnival Australia will juggle this though. Not that long ago we had 3 Princess ships year round, and were meant to have two Carnival ships. They can balance it all out so they aren't competing for passengers that aren't there.

Not forgetting Noordam and Westerdam will be here for a few months, Aust and NZ.

noordam.jpg.022422894ec4e488dce81a4ce51e1632.jpg

Edited by NSWP
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, NSWP said:

Not forgetting Noordam and Westerdam will be here for a few months, Aust and NZ.

noordam.jpg.022422894ec4e488dce81a4ce51e1632.jpg

Yes, they are also part of the juggle. It appears they have more chance of getting passengers here than in Asia, and that is what is bringing Westerdam to town.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Ozwoody said:

I guess my question is - how will they fill 2 large ships porting out of Brisbane? - when compared to the past when we only had  Pacific Dawn? 

24 minutes ago, bazzaw said:

I guess my question is - how will they fill 2 large ships porting out of Brisbane? - when compared to the past when we only had  Pacific Dawn? 

Passengers may fly in from interstate like Queenslanders used to fly south to cruise north. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, bazzaw said:

We also had one of the princess sun class ships, (Dawn,Sun,Sea) home porting out of Brisbane, and another cruise company, I can't remember which one was, and a number of others offering cruises ad hoc out off Brisbane as well.

We weren't totally treated as second cousins to Sydney. But close.😁

From my point of view, the more the merrier. Hopefully that manifests more competitive prices.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Ozwoody said:

The Sun Class ships were approximately the same size of the Coral Princess.

Assuming you are referring to the number of ships home porting Brisbane...🤨

If we get more ships base here, that might be great, if they have difficulty filling them, maybe we will see some good fare discounts.🤗

Having been on both, Coral is a little larger than the Sun Class. 92,000 tonnes, Sun Class are about 77,000 tonnes from memory and a bit shorter. Both classes excellent though.  Ideal for Aussie/NZ cruise operations.

3 hours ago, bazzaw said:

We had the Pacific Dawn and the Sea Princess home-porting out of Brisbane. Now we will have the Pacific Encounter and the Coral Princess. I can't see much difference in size.🙂

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Aus Traveller said:

We had the Pacific Dawn and the Sea Princess home-porting out of Brisbane. Now we will have the Pacific Encounter and the Coral Princess. I can't see much difference in size.🙂

Cruise company publicity is to make cruise ships look new.  They are a good size for cruising Australia, but it would be nice to have the choice of some newer ships.  

I hope Viking visits Australia, as their ships are new.  This year, I was fortunate to cruise on a small ship with Coral Expeditions from Cairns to Darwin.

16 minutes ago, NSWP said:

Having been on both, Coral is a little larger than the Sun Class. 92,000 tonnes, Sun Class are about 77,000 tonnes from memory and a bit shorter. Both classes excellent though.  Ideal for Aussie/NZ cruise operations.

Yes slightly larger by tonnage but about same size 2000 Passengers.

Thinking about when I first started cruising, if you were in the know, as the ships quite often weren't sailing at full compacity. You could go up to the service desk, and see if you could score an upgrade if available.  Unfortunately I was not one of the ones in the know, as the ones in the know kept it quite, for obvious reasons. 

When I found out, that little sign you probably remember seeing at the service desk saying, "Ship currently full compacity, No Upgrade Available", popped up. Bugger.

But hopefully with more ships, the sign may disappear again. So shhh, don't let it out, just keep it in, and be one of the ones in the Know. 😆

6 minutes ago, Ozwoody said:

Yes slightly larger by tonnage but about same size 2000 Passengers.

Thinking about when I first started cruising, if you were in the know, as the ships quite often weren't sailing at full compacity. You could go up to the service desk, and see if you could score an upgrade if available.  Unfortunately I was not one of the ones in the know, as the ones in the know kept it quite, for obvious reasons. 

When I found out, that little sign you probably remember seeing at the service desk saying, "Ship currently full compacity, No Upgrade Available", popped up. Bugger.

But hopefully with more ships, the sign may disappear again. So shhh, don't let it out, just keep it in, and be one of the ones in the Know. 😆

I once received an upgrade offer between two back to back cruises.  Reception couldn't believe I refused their kind offer.  Simple, I was happy where I was and couldn't be bothered shifting!

5 minutes ago, MMDown Under said:

I once received an upgrade offer between two back to back cruises.  Reception couldn't believe I refused their kind offer.  Simple, I was happy where I was and couldn't be bothered shifting!

In case something good comes up, except for the packing/unpacking, the crew relocate everything  for you. So some of the fuss is removed. but if you happy and its no great advantage, as MMdown Under, don't be embarrass to say no.

But if someone offers to up grade me from inside to a balcony, well you can guess my happy little feet, would not be still.... 😆

45 minutes ago, Ozwoody said:

In case something good comes up, except for the packing/unpacking, the crew relocate everything  for you. So some of the fuss is removed. but if you happy and its no great advantage, as MMdown Under, don't be embarrass to say no.

But if someone offers to up grade me from inside to a balcony, well you can guess my happy little feet, would not be still.... 😆

I love upgrades especially from inside to outside before I have shifted in.

5 hours ago, bazzaw said:

For much of the time, they won't. P&O will only base Encounter there year round. A Carnival ship in Brisbane is over a year away, and for now Princess will do short seasons there.

Plus, newer bigger ships will attract cruisers that were no longer interested in cruising on Pacific Dawn.

4 minutes ago, arxcards said:

For much of the time, they won't. P&O will only base Encounter there year round. A Carnival ship in Brisbane is over a year away, and for now Princess will do short seasons there.

Plus, newer bigger ships will attract cruisers that were no longer interested in cruising on Pacific Dawn.

The Coral Princess will undertake some long cruises, just the same as the Sea Princess did. These are the around Australia (28 nights), Hawaii/Tahiti (35 nights) and world cruise (104 nights).

18 minutes ago, Aus Traveller said:

The Coral Princess will undertake some long cruises, just the same as the Sea Princess did. These are the around Australia (28 nights), Hawaii/Tahiti (35 nights) and world cruise (104 nights).

By their cleverness, I think all of those can be taken from Brisbane or Sydney, so it is smart to be based in both places at the same time.

Cruise weekly today has an exclusive from Christine Duffy that Carnival will add a second ship year round to Australia.

""Carnival to add second ship this year Carnival Cruise Line is making plans to deploy a second ship
in the Australian market over the upcoming 2022/23 summer season, with the additional vessel
expected to operate out of the new Brisbane International Cruise Terminal.
The move was confirmed by President & Chief Executive Officer Christine Duffy (pictured),
who told Cruise Weekly she was excited about the Australian cruise restart and will be heading
to Sydney for the already announced inaugural postpandemic Carnival Splendor departure on 02 Oct this year.
Duffy wasn’t able to confirm exact details of the second ship, but the Carnival fleet is already
in the process of being expanded with the addition of the Costa Magica, which was transferred
to Carnival about a month ago and is undergoing a brand transformation and refit.
The new departures are not bookable yet, but Duffy hinted strongly the deployment would
happen “before the end of the year”.
Australia continues to be a strong focus for the cruise line, despite it being forced to
temporarily redeploy Carnival Splendor to Alaska due to the extended cruise ban imposed by
the Australian Government (CW 07 Feb).
MEANWHILE Duffy also told Cruise Weekly the company’s Australian voyages are now
for the first time being actively marketed in the United States. Pre-pandemic, Carnival’s
booking platforms did not easily facilitate international bookings for its Australian deployments,
but significant enhancements made during the cruise pause have made local voyages
bookable from the United States market - both online and through travel advisors.
“We’re getting a lot of bookings for Australian itineraries from American cruisers already,” Duffy
said, with Carnival’s strong brand recognition and American bucketlist aspirations to visit Australia
likely to drive healthy demand.

• Like 3

50 minutes ago, arxcards said:

By their cleverness, I think all of those can be taken from Brisbane or Sydney, so it is smart to be based in both places at the same time.

The first Round Australia starts from Sydney, with Brisbane as the second embarkation stop. It drops off Sydney passengers first and embarks the first of the first Hawaii/Tahiti passengers with the next stop Brisbane for disembarkation/embarkation.

The Hawaii/Tahiti cruise goes via Auckland for disembarkation and embarkation of the first of the world cruisers, then Sydney and Brisbane disembarkations/embarkation.

This repeats at the end of the world cruise taking on passengers for the second Hawaii/Tahiti cruise. Then again for the second Round Australia cruise but that cruise doesn't go to Auckland, just Sydney then Brisbane with a Sydney-Brisbane short cruise to fill the cabins vacated by those getting off in Sydney

Then the Brisbane summer season starts. 

It's very clever scheduling in my opinion giving both Australian and NZ passengers the ability to embark and/or disembark at their nearest port.

• Like 1

If the 2nd Carnival ship is to be based in Brisbane by the end of the year, it is only logical that the ex-Costa Magica will be that ship. It is getting a bit late to start shuffling the deck chairs and upsetting US itineraries by swapping Magica into their US market and sending a different ship here.

• Like 3

On 6/7/2022 at 11:43 PM, arxcards said:

If the 2nd Carnival ship is to be based in Brisbane by the end of the year, it is only logical that the ex-Costa Magica will be that ship. It is getting a bit late to start shuffling the deck chairs and upsetting US itineraries by swapping Magica into their US market and sending a different ship here.

We have a theory that Magica will replace Miracle in San Francisco and Miracle goes to Australia. There is a board about it called "Costa Magica to the Carnival Fleet"