How Dressy is Elegant Night - 4 night Cruise

cfreas

3 minutes ago, pattycruisealot21 said:

Have you guys seen ladies with long dresses on gala night lately? I Know before it was a thing but not sure if its been so much lately. Do you guys think that a long dress for the gala night is too much? With Covid I haven't had a chance to use it so I was thinking of wearing it for our next cruise.

I have seen some sparkly dresses, long formal dresses and regular dresses.  I personally don't think a long dress is too much.  Get some pictures done!!😁

I have taken long formal gowns and elegant dresses and my husband wears a suit and tie for formal night.  Our last cruise we ate in the buffet, so did not dress elegantly.  The cruise prior, we did dress formally and I had to apologize to my husband because I thought I had chosen the wrong night as formal night.  It appeared we were the only couple in the dining room in formal attire.  To be clear, this does not bother us because my DH was required to dress formally on occasion throughout his career.  I like a well dressed, handsome man.  To each his own.😋 

• Like 1

On 6/8/2022 at 1:13 PM, cfreas said:

It has been 7 years since my last cruise, and looking to book a short 4 day from Port Canaveral or Charleston.  Can you help me understand the dress code these days?  Are the days of cocktail dresses & suits done?  I simply want to pack light BUT not be our of place.  will shorts and polo shirts on non elegant night work for my husband and maybe polo and pants on the elegant night?

Men. Shoes, slacks and a dress shirt. That would be the minimum. Lady. Dress slacks, shoes, nice blouse. That would be the minimum. However there are many that could care less. 

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, pattycruisealot21 said:

Have you guys seen ladies with long dresses on gala night lately? I Know before it was a thing but not sure if its been so much lately. Do you guys think that a long dress for the gala night is too much? With Covid I haven't had a chance to use it so I was thinking of wearing it for our next cruise.

Yes, on the Elation in February and the Panorama in September there were quite a few people that dressed up and had pictures taken on elegant nights. On the Elation there was a really fun group of people that did a different theme and had pictures taken every night. We are now retired and travel for several weeks at a time, so I have switched to shorter cocktail dresses due to space constraints, but my husband still brings his tuxes.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, pattycruisealot21 said:

Wear it.

You will stand out as someone who knows what it means to follow the suggested dress code.

I started cruising in the days when gowns and tuxes were normal for formal/elegant night.

Perhaps I slacked off dressing like I was going to a Red Carpet event over the years of cruising but I still "dress" for those special nights.

14 hours ago, Skippy said:

Is there any issue with my 13yo son wearing shorts for dinner? He doesn’t have any dressy clothes at all but before I drag him shopping I wanted to check first. He does have athletic pants. Our last carnival cruise was in 2016. We last sailed Royal Caribbean in 2018. Not sure how much things have changed. 

Jeans would be preferable to shorts especially gym shorts. If you're weren't going to have him bring long jeans tbh I think that's not asking too much of a teenager to wear a pair of jeans and something other than a T-shirt to dinner. 

Edited by kwokpot
  • Like 1

16 hours ago, pattycruisealot21 said:

I still see a lot of long dresses, though I don't know that they'd be categorized as gowns. Some gowns, some fancy sun dresses.

15 hours ago, Skippy said:

He only has basketball shorts. 😅

It's Carnival. Do whatever you want, which people end up doing anyway. (IMO, going with just basketball shorts on formal night is rude, but again, this is Carnival and people do whatever they want.)

Was on the Conquest last week for a Mon-Fri four day.  There were alot of families and lots of beautiful dresses and suits.  After 20+ cruises DH and I don't formally dress.  I wore a dress - nothing fancy and he wore a golf shirt and dress shorts.  We always sit by ourselves so hopefully don't offend anyone.  I would say about 50% were doing the same as us.