Accessible/ Scooter tips- I know the basics but tips for getting around

Tarheelblues

We’ll be cruising this month for a b2b on the Horizon. My mobility has recently decreased to the point that I need a scooter for any sort of distance. I’ve rented a scooter from scootaround (my personal one is being built), notified Carnival and gotten a fully accessible cabin so I know the basics but as I am a type a and sort of anxious personality I just want to know what to expect from those who have been there as far as what’s expected as far as getting around the ship and any tips or tricks. Such as when going to dinner or say the comedy club, is there a place to park outside the venue or do you take the scooter in, how navigable are the elevators, anywhere to park on lido or should I use my cane, are there elevators to the higher decks to see my kids on the sky course and water works, etc.

Any help or advice you could offer would be appreciated more than you know!

• Like 1

On 6/9/2022 at 11:31 PM, Tarheelblues said:

We’ll be cruising this month for a b2b on the Horizon. My mobility has recently decreased to the point that I need a scooter for any sort of distance. I’ve rented a scooter from scootaround (my personal one is being built), notified Carnival and gotten a fully accessible cabin so I know the basics but as I am a type a and sort of anxious personality I just want to know what to expect from those who have been there as far as what’s expected as far as getting around the ship and any tips or tricks. Such as when going to dinner or say the comedy club, is there a place to park outside the venue or do you take the scooter in, how navigable are the elevators, anywhere to park on lido or should I use my cane, are there elevators to the higher decks to see my kids on the sky course and water works, etc.

Any help or advice you could offer would be appreciated more than you know!

I have taken my mobility scooter on over 30 cruises without any incident or inconvenience.  The only advice would be to very mindful that most people don't see you....mostly because they are looking forward and not slightly down.  Especially in crowded areas.  Just go as slow as possible and say excuse me a lot.  Also, I have found that when I can, I try and back into elevators.  It seems to be a lot easier to get off them instead of trying to back out and watch out for people.   

• Like 1

4 hours ago, slimknyzer said:

I have taken my mobility scooter on over 30 cruises without any incident or inconvenience.  The only advice would be to very mindful that most people don't see you....mostly because they are looking forward and not slightly down.  Especially in crowded areas.  Just go as slow as possible and say excuse me a lot.  Also, I have found that when I can, I try and back into elevators.  It seems to be a lot easier to get off them instead of trying to back out and watch out for people.   

4 hours ago, May1cruiser said:

Plan for additional time to gain elevator access. May take additional cycles to get onboard

Definitely makes sense. Thank you for the advice! I didn’t think about backing into the elevator, I’ll try that. I do realize that I’ll have to pack my patience especially when busy. 

How does having the scooter work as far as shows? Do you park outside the venue or is there space for the scooter inside? I will have my cane so that I will be able to transfer easily. I don’t imagine the scooter will be that comfortable to spend an extended amount of time in. 

Regarding the shows, I was on the Pride TA recently with a friend who was using a scooter.  On the Pride there were spaces in the theater designed for people in scooters or wheelchairs.  She rode her scooter in and used one of those spaces, and I sat in the adjoining chair.  It worked very well.  Just ask one of the Carnival staff and they’ll direct you to those spaces.

I started using my scooter when cruising about 9 years ago. The best advice I can give are the following tips:

-Notify guest services that you will be using the scooter so everyone is aware in case of an emergency.

-We book Aft standard balcony cabins. That way we can use the Aft elevators with less traffic. I always let folks go before me if it’s crowded, which is rare on those elevators. I’m not in a rush, I’m on vacation.🙂

-Wait until the last 5 min. or so to get to Dining room, instead of waiting in a long line until doors open. Our waiters have always taken my scooter away in the dining room and brought it back after dinner.

-I have never run into any problems with the scooter. Everyone has been helpful. Do be aware of folks that may not see you while they are texting while walking. Sometimes you’ll need to stop quickly.

Above all, enjoy your cruise!

• Like 2

Three tips. Be aware of the speed setting. My wife had a tendency of going fast in open areas and forgets to slow it down in crowds. It has a horn, don't be afraid to use it. And most important, get in an empty elevator even if it's not going in the direction you want. At least you will be on the elevator. This will prove invaluable at meal times. And one more thing and please don't flame me for this. Have someone run interference for you at the elevator if possible. You will have rude people and those in a hurry cut right in front of you.

• Thanks 1

On 6/12/2022 at 10:45 AM, jetsfan58 said:

I have witnessed a cruiser get literally run over by a scooter. Just please slow down and get fully adjusted to the scooters operations before venturing too far. Hope you enjoy the cruise!   

Good advice for sure. I practiced at Walmart and Target before my first tourist experience using one. However, I would imagine you have no idea how many people stop dead right in front of someone in a scooter or cut across their path. People just don’t notice.

I had a funny encounter with some moms of a special needs child who had an adapted stroller inDisney World. They cut right in front of me and I had to come to a dead stop so fast that my son actually crashed into the back of my scooter. They were SO apologetic and appalled that they had done that because they were so used to getting cut off like that all the time. They couldn’t believe they had done it to someone else.

I watch very carefully and am relieved that I have never run into someone but sometimes that feels like a miracle. I can’t tell you how many times someone in my family has walked into me when I have had to stop suddenly, 

• Like 1