New masking policies on HAL ships.

grammi

1 minute ago, Mary229 said:

Spiking can occur after the 30 day limit. Again it is a Covid policy and their hands are bound by this as long as they persist in having Covid regulations 

Also note that the cancellation does no good for those on the june 26 cruises that are receiving letters now.

Where as the cruise contract giving the cruise line the ability to change policy clearly does.

As far as spiking there are usually signs that cases are increasing in a given area that would in most cases give one warning.  Cases counts start increasing about 60 days before a peak is reached.

4 minutes ago, ldtr said:

Also note that the cancellation does no good for those on the june 26 cruises that are receiving letters now.

Where as the cruise contract giving the cruise line the ability to change policy clearly does.

As far as spiking there are usually signs that cases are increasing in a given area that would in most cases give one warning.  Cases counts start increasing about 60 days before a peak is reached.

Any signs of waning that you can share?  It's all spikes, as far as I'm concerned. I'm watching for waning. 

34 minutes ago, muffin said:

I am wondering if this was sent to those on the Whittier Vancouver run which DID announce they would have these restrictions due to the embarking passengers from the bus tours they had just completed overland. But only on the one way Whittier/ Vancouver voyage  both directions as I understood it. The other journeys had only the  recommended mask usage as noted.  Could this be a bee in a bonnet? 

No, it was sent to others.  I'm on the 7/3 Vancouver to Whittier and received the mask email too.

5 hours ago, Florida_gal_50 said:

I would love to see hal follow through on the second to last paragraph.  Not going to happen.

The second paragraph gives the policy some teeth.  Most people will comply when reminded of the mask mandate.  Those who get belligerent will know what the consequences are.  We are doing a land tour and will be wearing masks on the bus and train according to this.  If anyone refuses  to wear a mask I hope they will be removed from the group.   We are two months from sailing so I’ll not worry too much yet.   We wear masks in Walmart, Costco, and the grocery store anyway.  

• Like 6

2 hours ago, PACD_JG said:

So far this only applies to the one-ways, but the interesting part to me:  "we also strongly recommend wearing masks while ashore."

From some things I read on Princess, longer cruises seem to be generating more COVID cases, and it looks like a lot of the trips where HAL is calling for masking are longer than a week.

2 minutes ago, oaktreerb said:

If anyone refuses  to wear a mask I hope they will be removed from the group.

They will not be. My husband and I cruised on one of the first cruises in 2021 and that was the stated policy at the time. They didn't enforce that policy then and they won't enforce it now.

57 minutes ago, seaoma said:

Any signs of waning that you can share?  It's all spikes, as far as I'm concerned. I'm watching for waning. 

if you follow the case load graphs with a 7 day moving average for a given country you can see when they  change direction. They will usually start up around 60 days before they peak and starting turning down.  I use the worldmeters info site myself.

Just now, seaoma said:

They will not be. My husband and I cruised on one of the first cruises in 2021 and that was the stated policy at the time. They didn't enforce that policy then and they won't enforce it now.

There will be more peer pressure on a land tour.  With a host and 34 people on a land tour I would expect, that the stated policy could be enforced.

On the ship people are more anonymous.  Even I would leave the stateroom without my mask, I’d see a steward wearing a mask, and return to my room to get the mask.  In March we did see officers reminding people on the dance floor to mask up  It’s a policy that is almost impossible to enforce onboard.  I really don’t want to end up in the Covid corridor of the ship!  

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, oaktreerb said:

There will be more peer pressure on a land tour.  With a host and 34 people on a land tour I would expect, that the stated policy could be enforced.

On the ship people are more anonymous.  Even I would leave the stateroom without my mask, I’d see a steward wearing a mask, and return to my room to get the mask.  In March we did see officers reminding people on the dance floor to mask up  It’s a policy that is almost impossible to enforce onboard.  I really don’t want to end up in the Covid corridor of the ship!  

Come back and post and let us know how it went. 

I don't want to end up on the Covid corridor either, nor do I want to end up isolated in a city other than my hometown.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, oaktreerb said:

The second paragraph gives the policy some teeth.  Most people will comply when reminded of the mask mandate.  Those who get belligerent will know what the consequences are.  We are doing a land tour and will be wearing masks on the bus and train according to this.  If anyone refuses  to wear a mask I hope they will be removed from the group.   We are two months from sailing so I’ll not worry too much yet.   We wear masks in Walmart, Costco, and the grocery store anyway.  

I’d like to bet my next paycheque they’ll do nothing.  Back in November when masks were mandatory people were flaunting it at that time.  I heard staff ask people to put masks on and some said no, some didn’t answer and some did my favorite 🙄 the chin mask.  Being a 5 star I’ve been on my fair share of cruises and hal will not confront.  That said probably most cruise lines may not either.  I’m like you I wear my mask in the same places plus transit and in the food court of the building I work in.  Apparently covid is over for most because social distancing isn’t a thing for a lot.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

No they won’t confront and even if confronted a person can walk around with a bottle of water to sip on and be compliant.  I am personally ok with that but if I don’t have a bottle of water I mask up 

We were on the first Alaska cruise on the Nieuw Amsterdam last summer. At the start of the cruise, all passengers were required to be vaccinated. Mask were not required onboard. We wore masks prior to the cruise while traveling and touring as we didn't want to bring anything onboard. Halfway through the cruise masks were required on the tour buses and in town. They said it was due to local requirements, but the only people wearing masks were from the ship.

We have been on 4 other cruises since then. Mask requirements have come and gone. We are booked on the Noordam for a BTB the first two weeks of August. I received the emails today for both segments. It is still 50 days away for me. So much can happen before then. 

My daughter is a tour guide in Icy Strait Point. The biggest problem that they are having is when staff has to be quarantined for 5 days due to a positive Covid test. Everybody involved with the cruise lines and tour companies are already spread thin. If we want to enjoy our cruise, maybe it behooves all of us to help.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Mary229 said:

Further,  the longer the cruise lines continue to extend various mandates the longer they are going to have to have these Covid cancellation policies.  It is a catch 22 for them

I'm fine with all of it, no complaints, just sharing the information..

2 hours ago, Mary229 said:

No they won’t confront and even if confronted a person can walk around with a bottle of water to sip on and be compliant.  I am personally ok with that but if I don’t have a bottle of water I mask up 

Didn’t they have a policy to sip and cover? I know I had to do that on plane rides.  Some people will use any excuse.  It’s just being shady.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Florida_gal_50 said:

Didn’t they have a policy to sip and cover? I know I had to do that on plane rides.  Some people will use any excuse.  It’s just being shady.

No, I am pretty sure the policy is except when eating and drinking but I could be wrong. 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, PACD_JG said:

So far this only applies to the one-ways, but the interesting part to me:  "we also strongly recommend wearing masks while ashore."

So that's how we'll be able to differentiate the tourists?  Masked folks are one-wayers, unmasked are round-trippers?  🙄

Don't confuse things with logic

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Mary229 said:

No, I am pretty sure the policy is except when eating and drinking but I could be wrong. 

I'm sure they mean that you are sitting down at a table eating or drinking not walking around with a bottle of water.  Follow the rules or end up in quarantine. 

Edited by Traveling Dot
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Traveling Dot said:

I'm sure they mean that you are sitting down at a table eating or drinking not walking around with a bottle of water.  Follow the rules or end up in quarantine. 

Don’t threaten people.  They write the rules, if they want to be more specific they can. I follow the rules as stated.  Whether I walk around with a water bottle is not up for discussion, if I did it would be within the rules, if not, it is because I am not thirsty. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Mary229 said:

Don’t threaten people.  They write the rules, if they want to be more specific they can. I follow the rules as stated.  Whether I walk around with a water bottle is not up for discussion, if I did it would be within the rules, if not, it is because I am not thirsty. 

I'm not threatening anyone just stating a fact.  But just carrying a bottle just so you don't have to wear a mask is pure idiocy.  My son died from covid because he didn't want to believe it was real.  

• Like 8

Just now, Traveling Dot said:

I'm not threatening anyone just stating a fact.  But just carrying a bottle just so you don't have to wear a mask is pure idiocy.  My son died from covid because he didn't want to believe it was real.  

I am sorry for your loss.