Drink Packages

Beachvue

First time sailing with Oceania (usual cruise with Viking).   Looking at drink packages however,  they are ridiculously expense.  What is the average cost of a glass of wine and a mixed cocktail?   

1 hour ago, Beachvue said:

First time sailing with Oceania (usual cruise with Viking).   Looking at drink packages however,  they are ridiculously expense.  What is the average cost of a glass of wine and a mixed cocktail?   

Go to this ⬆️⬆️ post and scroll down for wine prices, there’s photos of the menus.  Also, I recall drink prices being around $11.00 -$12.00 if averaged out.  Beer averaged around $7.00. There’s happy hour each day, others can explain those prices as we didn’t partake.   Also a couple of Captain’s/Oceania Club parties where the drinks are free. 

Edited by LNielsen

Average cost of a glass of wine is in the $10-11 range. Mixed drinks that aren't top shelf are generally in this range too. 

The value of buying the drink package depends on the person.  For me, it was an excellent value.  The O Life basic drink package is $30/day and includes gratuities. It includes beer and wine with meals. You can upgrade it to the premium package for an extra $10/day when you are onboard.   I only drink wine and only at mealtimes. I don't go to Happy Hour but I'll go to the Captain's party when invited. Beer and wine is served.   So for me, 1 glass of wine at lunch and 2 glasses of wine at dinner is more than $30/day and I'm getting my money's worth. 

When deciding if you should purchase either of the drink packages, think about what and when you prefer to drink. Just keep in mind that if you purchase drinks a la carte, an 18 or 20% gratuity will be added on. 

14 minutes ago, sunlover12 said:

You can upgrade it to the premium package for an extra $10/day when you are onboard.  

When deciding if you should purchase either of the drink packages, think about what and when you prefer to drink. Just keep in mind that if you purchase drinks a la carte, an 18 or 20% gratuity will be added on. 

The drink package upgrade is $20.00 per day. 

23 minutes ago, sunlover12 said:

Average cost of a glass of wine is in the $10-11 range. Mixed drinks that aren't top shelf are generally in this range too. 

The value of buying the drink package depends on the person.  For me, it was an excellent value.  The O Life basic drink package is $30/day and includes gratuities. It includes beer and wine with meals. You can upgrade it to the premium package for an extra $10/day when you are onboard.   I only drink wine and only at mealtimes. I don't go to Happy Hour but I'll go to the Captain's party when invited. Beer and wine is served.   So for me, 1 glass of wine at lunch and 2 glasses of wine at dinner is more than $30/day and I'm getting my money's worth. 

6 minutes ago, LNielsen said:

The drink package upgrade is $20.00 per day. 

And I'm pretty sure that the basic package starts at 39.99. 

But to address the OP. I don't buy the premise that they are ridiculously overpriced. Look at the current price of Celebrity's drink price for comparison. 

7 minutes ago, sunlover12 said:

That must be a new price then.  I know when we were onboard in March, my husband upgraded and it was $10/day.  

Not to be argumentative, but no, it's been $20 a person, per day for years. 

Here you go,

https://www.oceaniacruises.com/value#value-packages

Edited by ORV
  • Like 2

Upgrade was $20 / day on Regatta in April.  

As for the value proposition, I enjoyed having the full package though I probably didn’t do much better than break even.  Still, I enjoyed not having to play games (like carefully timing the 2 for 1 hour), just go sit down and get a drink when I like.  Try a few new things I might not like etc.

to each their own.

• Like 5

13 minutes ago, sunlover12 said:

That must be a new price then.  I know when we were onboard in March, my husband upgraded and it was $10/day.  

It was $20.00 on Regatta in May. And I believe it was also $20.00 on Regatta in January of 2019. 

3 minutes ago, ORV said:

Not to be argumentative, but no, it's been $20 a person, per day for years. 

You're right and I remembered it wrong.  It's $20.

5 minutes ago, ORV said:

But to address the OP. I don't buy the premise that they are ridiculously overpriced. Look at the current price of Celebrity's drink price for comparison. 

If you purchase the O Life drink package, it is $30/day.  If you purchase it outside of O Life it is more than $30. 

I agree that the drink package on O is not overpriced. Never been on Celebrity but I know that on Royal Caribbean it is $78/day and each adult in the cabin has to purchase it. RC doesn't include soda and specialty coffee in their fares but, still, their drinks are ridiculously  expensive. I think O is a bargain compared to them.

25 minutes ago, ORV said:

I may have been unclear, it wouldn’t be the first time - just ask my husband 😉

Yes, the basic drink package of wine and beer with lunch and dinner is $39.95/day.  Premium Select is $59.95/day.   The $20.00 came into play as the daily upgrade price to Premium Select when choosing the basic drink package as your O-Life perk.  

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, sunlover12 said:

It has been this for many years.....the select package is $39.35 per person per day and the Prestige package is $59.95 per person per day...plus gratuity.....if you take the select drink packakage as your Olife choice then you pay an additional $20.00 per person per day to upgrade to the prestige package.  We just did this on our November 2021 Maina sailing...

• Like 2

Don't forget that, if not on a package, there is an automatic gratuity of 20% added to the cost of wine, beer, and spirits.  The package prices include the gratuities.

Edited by 1985rz1
  • Like 2

9 minutes ago, basor said:

It has been this for many years.....the select package is $39.35 per person per day and the Prestige package is $59.95 per person per day...plus gratuity.....if you take the select drink packakage as your Olife choice then you pay an additional $20.00 per person per day to upgrade to the prestige package.  We just did this on our November 2021 Maina sailing...

I've been corrected numerous times already and yes, I know the upgrade is $20/day.

To be clear about the basic beverage package:  It is $30/day if you purchase the O Life beverage package.  If you purchase it outside of O Life, it is $39.99/day.  Gratuities are included in the beverage packages.  If you purchase drinks a la carte, the gratuity will be added on. 

I think this sums up all we need to know about the beverage packages. 

34 minutes ago, LNielsen said:

Yes, the basic drink package of wine and beer with lunch and dinner is $39.95/day.  Premium Select is $59.95/day.   The $20.00 came into play as the daily upgrade price to Premium Select when choosing the basic drink package as your O-Life perk.  

I was agreeing with you. I was just adding to what you said. 

50 minutes ago, sunlover12 said:

You're right and I remembered it wrong.  It's $20.

If you purchase the O Life drink package, it is $30/day.  If you purchase it outside of O Life it is more than $30. 

I agree that the drink package on O is not overpriced. Never been on Celebrity but I know that on Royal Caribbean it is $78/day and each adult in the cabin has to purchase it. RC doesn't include soda and specialty coffee in their fares but, still, their drinks are ridiculously  expensive. I think O is a bargain compared to them.

You're probably right about the cost when you take it with Olife, it's always cheaper than buying it outright. I don't remember ever figuring the per day cost with it. I usually take either the drink package or excursions, or nothing with the Olife, depending on the itinerary. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, LNielsen said:

Still works out to $20 PP PD to upgrade  from the basic Package offer as an O Life  perk  no matter how you spin it  😉

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, LHT28 said:

Still works out to $20 PP PD to upgrade  from the basic Package offer as an O Life  perk  no matter how you spin it  😉

DH has also been known to mumble something about “soooo many words”. 😉

• Haha 2