Tipping butler for small tasks

sweetalyssum

I have a Sky Suite on the Celebrity Summit.  I haven’t asked for much from our butler, but if I ask him to bring ice (we’ve haven’t had it brought except the first day), or a bottle opener or something should I be tipping him as I would for room service? We haven’t had a butler before. Thanks.

We tend to tip in one lump sum at the end. Doesn't sound like tasks above the norm. Ice is brought by your Room Steward in normal rooms but the butler has to do it in Suites. Same with Laundry.

Above and beyond are a different story. 3 course meal, coffee or tea later in the evening, special occasion setups, etc. we tip for.

• Like 1

No need to tip for every little thing the Butler does.  We tip extra at the end depending upon what we have requested over and above the basics.  The daily gratuity includes the Butler so we feel that covers the basics; ice, pick up and return laundry, restock mini bar and remove used glasses,  etc.

If we regularly have breakfast in the room,  need a shoe repaired, have friends in for cocktails, have dinner served in the suite, have a emergency clothing repair, ask for decorations for spouses b’day or anniversary, request a snack every afternoon or evening then we tip extra for those services.  
Last cruise Butler really didn’t do the basics ( forgot to bring juice, dirty glasses left for full day, no ice 3 out of 6 days).  That Butler got $0 extra.  

• Like 2

14 hours ago, MarKay525 said:

Thank you viperfoth and  jelayne for the distinctions between "the basics" and going above and beyond. Very helpful!

i know it’s a bit of a personal choice, but is there a range to tip the butler at the end of the cruise if they went above and beyond? Say, 7day cruise and you had room service for breakfast daily.

We generally tip at the end of each cruise for many who have made our cruise speil.   If a Butler just does his job and nothing more we would not feel compelled to tip extra.   This is rarely the case.    Most butlers we have had done far and beyond to make our cruise comfortable but on occasion we've had a dud.

1 hour ago, Whinenowine said:

i know it’s a bit of a personal choice, but is there a range to tip the butler at the end of the cruise if they went above and beyond? Say, 7day cruise and you had room service for breakfast daily.

The portion of the daily gratuity rate that goes to the PRH is around $3.50 pp.   I use some multiple of that to determine what I might leave as an extra amount based on the amount of "extra" service.

18 minutes ago, sweetalyssum said:

Original Poster here. Thanks for taking time to answer my question! 😊

And appreciate the OP coming back and thanking those that helped them. You’d be surprised how many OPs asking for info/ help/ advice never respond back. 

den

2 hours ago, wrk2cruise said:

The portion of the daily gratuity rate that goes to the PRH is around $3.50 pp.   I use some multiple of that to determine what I might leave as an extra amount based on the amount of "extra" service.

40 minutes ago, Happy Cruiser 6143 said:

My yardstick for a tip for an exceptional butler is $10/day.

Thanks both, that makes sense.