Checking Capacity

Realblonde474

I have seen a few posts about the "current" capacity of some cruises and also how many specific type of rooms are still available on a future sailing...is that info only available to travel planners? 

Just curious, we are on the Infinity in mid July..

Thanks

Donna

People are either counting open staterooms or hearing things on board. If a TA has a contact at Celebrity they may be able to get the official count, but anything else I would have no confidence in. There is capacity at 100% then there is max capacity which ranges from 100% to almost 120% depending on the ship.

So when people quote ~75% is that at double or max capacity? The difference can be significant. Our last cruise on Beyond we heard people quote numbers that would have equated to at ~350 person difference in the count. 

• Like 1

Just from what I'm seeing and hearing around this board, it sounds like there is no prescribed reduced capacity beyond setting some rooms aside for covid isolation.  However, even that may no longer be the case as it sounds like folks are now being allowed to isolate or quarantine in their rooms.

In other words, don't count on sailing on a ship that isn't 100% full or nearly so.  If it happens, it's most likely because the rooms didn't sail rather than because the line closed sales early. 

Last week, on Summit, CD quoted 1840 passengers at start of cruise. Toward the end, I asked guest services. Told 2300 out of max capacity 2500.  That’s a huge difference.  I looked it up.  The max capacity of 2500 includes every berth filled….includes all upper berths and sofa beds.  Reality is the numbers being quoted may not be accurate.  There were crowds. 

It seems that Capacity takes two forms.  Celebrity-controlled capacity is one.  This seems not to be well-understood right now.  Initially 50-60% by some accounts.  Now greater but no number has been released.  It might be 100% on some ships at this point.  Then there is capacity controlled by bookings and cancellations, including last minute cancellations.  Passengers have had the 48 hr rule (through September 2022) to cancel or have contracted COVID or have a positive pre-boarding test.  These things all affect numbers so final ship passenger count is hard to predict.  More of this last minute stuff happens in times of COVID surges.  As for cabins- it seems that all suites are usually at 100%.  Usually the same for Aqua by most accounts.  There is also part of at least one deck reserved for COVID-related isolation cases - although recently passengers have been isolated in their own cabins.  Infinity might be fairly full in mid-July.  I would probably approach it that way.

4 hours ago, PTC DAWG said:

My take is this, if the possibility of full or 90+% capacity bothers you, it's probably not the time for you to cruise. 

This is my 3rd cruise since COVID so the increased numbers don't worry me at all. I was just curious as I have since many posts about the number of certain cabins available and the people count prior to sailing. 

The more the merrier at the Martini Bar is my motto! 😘

Donna

Some TA websites list all the cabins available for booking.   One I’m aware of allows you to see exactly how many cabins are available in each category.