early bag drop off in seattle?

My 89 year old mom and I will be traveling to alaska the end of July on RC. We have a boarding time of 11am, but our hotel is out by the airport. We are both pretty early risers, so we'd like to head downtown as soon as we are up so we aren't stressed about traffic issues. We won't want to sit at the port for hours, though! I was wondering if we would be able to drop our bags off early and then uber or walk over to a coffee shop for a light breakfast and people watching. We won't want to do this with our big rolling bags, since i'll probably be the one schlepping everything around, though. Anyone know what time the porters are able to start taking checked bags? Thanks!

Personally, if you have an arrival time at 11, I would just go to the port. If you try to drop off bags early, you are fighting traffic for disembarking passengers, and porters will be tied up with them. There also could be 2 ships in port, which makes it worse. Add to that a weekday embarkation, and you also have rush hour traffic.

There really isn’t anything close to Pier 91 for people watching, so you would have to go back to downtown Seattle, and then back to Pier 91.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, crzndeb said:

Personally, if you have an arrival time at 11, I would just go to the port. If you try to drop off bags early, you are fighting traffic for disembarking passengers, and porters will be tied up with them. There also could be 2 ships in port, which makes it worse. Add to that a weekday embarkation, and you also have rush hour traffic.

There really isn’t anything close to Pier 91 for people watching, so you would have to go back to downtown Seattle, and then back to Pier 91.

I was wondering if they knew Royal now uses pier 91 instead of 66. Not much to do there at all.  OP, if you are reading this just hang out at your hotel until last minute and then head to the port. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just have breakfast before you arrive at Pier 91.  There is no restaurants anywhere near Pier 91.

Terminal doors have been opening between a little after 10 am and as10:30 AM if the ship is slow during  debarkation.  The ship will open for boarding a bit after 11 AM.

• Thanks 1

There is really nothing there and not a great spot to just hang out and nowhere to sit and 'people watch'.  Pier 91 is a combo of cruise port and industrial area.  Eat at your hotel, then head to the port.  

image.thumb.png.9a0c4fc32e3119ae0a24de96d8a88bf4.png

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, taglovestocruise said:

I was wondering if they knew Royal now uses pier 91 instead of 66. Not much to do there at all.  OP, if you are reading this just hang out at your hotel until last minute and then head to the port. 

Yup, planning on pier 91, but I hadn’t really done a deep dive into what all is around there. Sounds like a leisurely morning at the hotel is our new plan! Thank you!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jennianne said:

Yup, planning on pier 91, but I hadn’t really done a deep dive into what all is around there. Sounds like a leisurely morning at the hotel is our new plan! Thank you!

We showed up around 10:30ish. By the time we got through the multiple lines to check all of our test and vaccination, then to security, then to check-in, we waited less than 10 minutes in the waiting area before they allowed us to board.   

Breakfast at the hotel, finish last minute packing, then head to the port. I think avoiding the lines would be better for mom.  

image.png.207ebac0e3380e8319d8a30d813f2ee6.png

image.png.3928114aeb529cb2ee869cbe371be868.png

image.png.fe0c803c2777233969a08753bb7fdef4.png

Edited by BirdTravels
  • Like 1