Airport transfers from Trieste to Venice

Medeba

That was very helpful doghouse2 - thanks!  We are docking in Trieste on Vista 1 May.  Which is a major public holiday and trains are not on weekday schedules.  We are staying at the Hyatt Centric on Murano (Museo stop).  I had asked my TA to book us a private transfer to the Piazzale Roma and was planning to get the Hyatt to collect us from there.   Perhaps I will change that to an Oceania "mass" transfer to VCE and take Alilaguna to the hotel stop.  I know Venice very very well.  And have no desire at all to visit the main island.  But I do want to have lunch on Torcello - hence the Hyatt!

For those who don't know Venice Alilaguna has several lines.  So you need to get the map of the lines and pick the right one to be nearest to your hotel.   I think the fare is €8 but that is to Murano..

14 hours ago, Hambagahle said:

That was very helpful doghouse2 - thanks!  We are docking in Trieste on Vista 1 May.  Which is a major public holiday and trains are not on weekday schedules.  We are staying at the Hyatt Centric on Murano (Museo stop).  I had asked my TA to book us a private transfer to the Piazzale Roma and was planning to get the Hyatt to collect us from there.   Perhaps I will change that to an Oceania "mass" transfer to VCE and take Alilaguna to the hotel stop.  I know Venice very very well.  And have no desire at all to visit the main island.  But I do want to have lunch on Torcello - hence the Hyatt!

For those who don't know Venice Alilaguna has several lines.  So you need to get the map of the lines and pick the right one to be nearest to your hotel.   I think the fare is €8 but that is to Murano..

Am following this thread, with lots of interest, since thinking of booking that Vista cruise.  Reading some of these posts, I would not recommend that folks with many pieces of luggage even think about using the Alilaguna from VCE into Venice (or the other stops).  The problem is that it is a pretty long walk from the airport terminal to the Alilaguna (or water taxi) docks and the availability of a porter (who do not work cheap) is always questionable. Another option, if, heading into Venice take the ATVO Express Airport bus (leaves from right outside the terminal exit) to the Piazale Roma.   The buses are quite nice with plenty of luggage storage underneath.  Or course that still leaves the problem of how to get to one's hotel from the Piazale Roma...with lots of luggage.

So what is the solution for the folks with all that luggage?  1.  Take a lot less luggage 🙂   2.  Hire a Water Taxi from VCE to their hotel (this will cost over 120 Euros).

Hank

Good guidance @Hlitner

I admit, when we used the Alilaguna we had only small hand luggage - nothing checked (that met us at the ship).We did have 4 small bags, no one seemed to care but this was November 2021 so not very busy.

2 minutes ago, babysteps said:

Good guidance @Hlitner

I admit, when we used the Alilaguna we had only small hand luggage - nothing checked (that met us at the ship).We did have 4 small bags, no one seemed to care but this was November 2021 so not very busy.

As a long time independent traveler (and now quite old) I have developed a real appreciation of luggage logistics.  For those of us who routinely do independent travel, the luggage issue is a very important part of trip planning.  We recently went through that exercise while traveling in Japan when we had to ship our luggage from one hotel to another, and then a few days later take it on a bullet train...which meant reserving special "Green Car" seats that came with extra luggage storage space.  

In Venice, the luggage issue is even worse then it is in Japan.  In theory, one can take a single piece of large luggage on the Vaporettos or Alilaguna.  If you want to take more, you are supposed to pay an extra fee (no big deal) but also need to maneuver all that luggage (by yourself) on and off the boats (and to the hotels).  None of this is easy.  In fact, it is why one of my favorite Venice hotels (when we have lots of luggage) is a small hotel located in the Piazale Roma.  That means we can just take the ATVO bus and easily walk to our hotel (with our luggage).   When we travel in Europe, we often choose our hotels because of luggage-related issues.

Hank

• Like 2

Hiltner - would be very nice to meet you if you take the cruise we are booked on (21 April from Malta to Trieste).   Luggage - I am not fussed about it.  We are Swiss and only coming from Switzerland.  While we will fly to Malta we will take the train home from Venice so we have to have luggage that we can handle ourselves.  Which means one medium size wheelie each and one small backpack each.  No more.   However I just found out that our Venice Hotel (Hyatt Centric on Murano) has its own shuttle boat to/from the airport so likely we will take that.  Even if we have to wait a little at the airport.  (And before you tell me that Murano is not "Venice" I will say I have been to Venice many many times (both as a tourist and on business) and "Venice" is what I want to avoid.   Our main aim is to have lunch at the Locanda Cipriani on Torcello.   And Murano is just fine for that!   we are only spending two nights and the only time we will technically be in Venice is at Sta Lucia to catch our train home.

Let me know if you are indeed on our cruise!  (Did I tell you that our friends who were on it said on return - never again HAL?)

LOL, no fear of me taking a position on Murano.  In fact, I can see a lot of wisdom in staying on that island or perhaps Burano (our favorite island in the Lagoon).   We are thinking of booking the Vista for the 35 days from Miami to Trieste and would try to save you some wine (or other adult beverage).  It would be our first "O" cruise as we need some new discussion topics to share with Flatbush Flyer.  

DW and I have been debating how we would handle the Trieste debarkation...given that it is May 1.  Our current thinking is that we would either stay in Trieste a couple of nights (have never been to Trieste) or take the cruise line transfer to Trieste's airport where we can rent a car for a couple of weeks.  With a car we would likely drive down to Croatia and also do some exploring of Slovenia. We had also thought about taking a one week yacht cruise (out of either Split or Dubrovnik) but are now thinking it is too early in the season to enjoy swimming in the sea.

Eventually we would make our way to MXP, drop the car, and fly back to the States.  We might even stop at Venice for a few days, but parking on Murano would be difficult :).

Hank

• 4 weeks later...
On 5/26/2023 at 6:39 PM, doghouse2 said:

After the bus ride, while you walk to the terminal (about 5 minutes) the luggage is taken to the front of the terminal for you to pick up. From there there is about a 15 minute walk (with moving sidewalk assistance) on the 2nd level of the terminal to the water taxi docks.  At the end of the walkway you take an elevator down to the ground level and all of the water taxi options are there.  You cannot take the luggage trolleys on the moving sidewalk so if you have to use trolley you have to walk all the way.  It’s covered and smooth surface but slightly “uphill”. 

Where did the bus leave you vs where they left your luggage - just 2 different areas of the airport terminal? 

If you walk with a trolley, you are still inside the enclosed "walkway to water transportation" dock - beside the moving sidewalk?

Dave - we have booked a car transfer Trieste/Venice.  (Probably to the Piazzale Roma so the Hyatt can pick us up in their boat.).  Did the booking via my TA and it is close to $300.  However I did see an ad for a transfer service for roughly half that.   But if you rent a car in Trieste you can drop it either at the VCE airport or Piazzale Roma (Hertz has an office there...I know that for sure).  Problem is we dock 1 May which is a major holiday and trains are affected as a result.  (whoever planned the cruise should have looked at the calendar!).

My sole intention in Venice is to go to Torcello.   Love that place!

It would be very very kind of you to leave some wine available for us...Maybe some other drinks too!!

On 5/30/2023 at 1:31 AM, Hlitner said:

Am following this thread, with lots of interest, since thinking of booking that Vista cruise.  Reading some of these posts, I would not recommend that folks with many pieces of luggage even think about using the Alilaguna from VCE into Venice (or the other stops).  The problem is that it is a pretty long walk from the airport terminal to the Alilaguna (or water taxi) docks and the availability of a porter (who do not work cheap) is always questionable. Another option, if, heading into Venice take the ATVO Express Airport bus (leaves from right outside the terminal exit) to the Piazale Roma.   The buses are quite nice with plenty of luggage storage underneath.  Or course that still leaves the problem of how to get to one's hotel from the Piazale Roma...with lots of luggage.

So what is the solution for the folks with all that luggage?  1.  Take a lot less luggage 🙂   2.  Hire a Water Taxi from VCE to their hotel (this will cost over 120 Euros).

Hank

We plan to take the water taxi anyway.  It is a great experience.  We will have one medium suitcase each and 1 small backpack each...   Which we can manage.  However I think the Hyatt offers a free transfer from the airport to the hotel so I am going to look into that!

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Sailing in or out of Venice has always been a challenge.  It has so many restrictions that make it the most tourist unfriendly port.  While seeing Venice is a kick,  the taxis ( land or water) and vaparettos can be a challenge.  

34 minutes ago, Redtravel said:

While seeing Venice is a kick,  the taxis ( land or water) and vaparettos can be a challenge.  

Although I have been to Venice 3 times before, I cannot bring myself to bypass a 4th time - when I will be so close - regardless of the "challenges". I hear my stool at Harry's Bar calling me now....

17 minutes ago, MnDAL said:

Although I have been to Venice 3 times before, I cannot bring myself to bypass a 4th time - when I will be so close - regardless of the "challenges". I hear my stool at Harry's Bar calling me now....

I wish you an uneventful trip.  I have experienced strikes( city museums, vaparettos, taxi drivers), high water, taxis that won't pickup at hotels, not finding porters which are required now to handle baggage,etc.  It's Italy where strikes are scheduled and happen often.

We disembark from Vista in Trieste on June 29, 2024 and want to go to Milan or Florence by train. Any thoughts about taxi availability to take us from the ship to train station in Trieste? At worst, I suppose we could take Oceania's transfer to Trieste airport and find a taxi there to train station? Thanks.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Has anyone experienced disembarkation in Trieste RECENTLY? I am in process of booking a private car to meet us. Just wondering:

The earliest time you were offered to leave the ship.

How much time it took from the gangway to the street (ie claiming luggage, clearing immigration/customs and exiting the building).

How far is it from ship to the area where private transportation cars stage.

I will be headed for Venice Island, so just looking for any kind of logistic info you can provide!

Thanks in advance.

• 4 months later...

Does anyone know if O has a transfer from Trieste to Piazzale Roma?  Although we have been to Venice a lot we can’t get enough of it so will be staying close to P. San Marco so the cost of the water taxi will be less if we get to Piazzale Roma rather than Marco Polo.

Also, is there info on these transfers on the O website?  I don’t see it but imagine I can phone O to book it.

We left Miami in March 2023 and arrived in Trieste 23 days later.  We were one of the first to exit the ship around 8:00 AM although it did take about 30 minutes for the luggage to arrive.  Short walk from ship to taxis.  We caught a taxi quickly to the train station where we took the train to Venice.  We had rented a car from Avis which was a short walk from the train station and all went smoother than we thought it would.  

• Like 1

We disembark in Trieste from Riviera on June 27 at 8 am. 

Has anyone walked with the bags to the train station? The distance is showing at 1 km but I don't know how easy that would be with the luggage. Any experience/comments?

Option is to catch a cab, just hope the taxi drivers aren't like at the Toronto airport where they get upset/rude if its a "short fare" trip.

Also I'm estimating the disembarkation will take an hour which makes it unlikely we can catch the 9:15 train direct to Venice Santa Lucia.  Next express/direct is 12:16 so we are planning to use the short term luggage lockers at the Trieste station and then walk around Trieste for a few hours and grab an early lunch. 

Any recent experiences would be appreciated.

6 minutes ago, thebsinmiss said:

We disembark in Trieste from Riviera on June 27 at 8 am. 

Has anyone walked with the bags to the train station? The distance is showing at 1 km but I don't know how easy that would be with the luggage. Any experience/comments?

Option is to catch a cab, just hope the taxi drivers aren't like at the Toronto airport where they get upset/rude if its a "short fare" trip.

Also I'm estimating the disembarkation will take an hour which makes it unlikely we can catch the 9:15 train direct to Venice Santa Lucia.  Next express/direct is 12:16 so we are planning to use the short term luggage lockers at the Trieste station and then walk around Trieste for a few hours and grab an early lunch. 

Any recent experiences would be appreciated.

We walked from train station to the port this past May. I  would say took about 15-20 minutes, which included waiting on lights for street crossings, etc. There were some areas especially getting through parking area at port that could be challenging for some with mobility issues due to uneven surfaces and curbs with no cut outs, etc. For us it was not a big deal.  Also as I recall from station to port was more so on a decline. 

If you are willing to pay for private transfers or are interested in touring Venice before or after a cruise, suggest Venice Quality Transfers. Run by a Brit who works with her Italian hubby in the business. Super dependable. We used them to go from VCE to a Celebrity cruise embarking in Ravenna last September. She (name is Trisha) is also great at offering logistics/advice.

WHO WE ARE|VQTravels