The Return of Arcadia

Travelmadoldie

I have friends onboard at the moment. They also report very long queues for freedom dining, to the point that it is virtually impossible to do anything else in the evening. Many people in formal gear in buffet as they want to do things other than queue for dinner.

Other problems as already documented (showers etc).

We are due to embark on the day they disembark and it does make looking forward to it rather more difficult.

• Like 5

Yup, things are not great on board.

The P&O apologists are saying that waiting an hour for a table is no big deal (!), but tge geberal feeling seems to be that things are not great. 

However,  the usual caveat applies - people are more likely to post complaints on line compared to those that are happy. 

Having said that,  you would think that P&O would be able to offer a timely dinner service after all this time.

On 7/7/2022 at 9:40 AM, arlowood said:

Will be interested to hear the reason for the schedule change and also how the rest of the cruise is going to pan out. Could be that for whatever reason they are planning to do the itinerary in a partial reverse direction. Maybe they'll do the circumnavigation of Iceland after Orkney then head for Alesund and/or Stavanger.

Having checked various port schedules, it appear that my supposition is correct. Arcadia is now due in Akureyri on 11th, Isofjordur on 12th and Rekjavik on 13th.

Not unusual as we were on a recent Saga cruise where they reversed the schudule of the ports due to the Spirit of Discovery being late and having to dock at Portsmouth rather than Dover. It meant doing Iceland first with Orkney as the final rather than the first stop.

I think your supposition is incorrect w.r.t Iceland 🇮🇸 

Original itinerary 11th Reykjavik 06:15

The current position of ARCADIA is at North East Atlantic Ocean (coordinates 60.16387 N / 5.13105 W) reported 17 hours ago by AIS. The vessel is en route to the port of Reykjavik, Iceland, sailing at a speed of 13.3 knots and expected to arrive there on Jul 11, 06:15.

So still in Reykjavik on Monday 11th as sold

Happy Days!

19 hours ago, PompeySailor said:

I think your supposition is incorrect w.r.t Iceland 🇮🇸 

Original itinerary 11th Reykjavik 06:15

The current position of ARCADIA is at North East Atlantic Ocean (coordinates 60.16387 N / 5.13105 W) reported 17 hours ago by AIS. The vessel is en route to the port of Reykjavik, Iceland, sailing at a speed of 13.3 knots and expected to arrive there on Jul 11, 06:15.

So still in Reykjavik on Monday 11th as sold

Happy Days!

Incorrect, it was scheduled for the 13th. 

https://www.cruisetimetables.com/cruisesonarcadia-05jul2022.html

So it is an adjustment to the itinerary. 

10 minutes ago, AuroraCruiser08 said:

Incorrect, it was scheduled for the 13th. 

https://www.cruisetimetables.com/cruisesonarcadia-05jul2022.html

So it is an adjustment to the itinerary. 

See Post #29 

the Sold itinerary, before any adjustments 

Reykjavik was never the 13th

I am looking at my parents booking and 

11th Reykjavik- Overnight

12th Reykjavik 

13th Isafjordur

Guess we will see on Monday when those on the ship report where they actually are 

So many different itineraries from people actually not on the ship

4 minutes ago, PompeySailor said:

See Post #29 

12th Reykjavik 

13th Isafjordur

Guess we will see on Monday when those on the ship report where they actually are 

Arcadia current location is at North East Atlantic Ocean (coordinates 63.06942 N / -21.20304 W) cruising at speed of 11.6 kn (21 kph/ 13 mph) en route to Reykjavik. The AIS position was reported 32 minutes ago.

Guess all the marine traffic satellite reports must not be real 

2 hours ago, PompeySailor said:

See Post #29 

12th Reykjavik 

13th Isafjordur

2 hours ago, PompeySailor said:

I was originally booked on this cruise, booked the day it went on sale

Reykjavik was originally the 13th July and 14th July ............

17 minutes ago, cruisefan2012 said:

I was originally booked on this cruise, booked the day it went on sale

Reykjavik was originally the 13th July and 14th July ............

My parents are ON the cruise 

I am looking at their Itinerary when they booked it

same as post #26 and #29.

So itinerary changed from yours to what we have, then itinerary changed again due to them missing Norway.

then itinerary changed again to go around Iceland CCW instead of CW 

Not disagreeing with you when you booked it your saw different dates than what others who are on the sailing actually purchased.

Do you have an email from P&O informing you of itinerary change or did you cancel before the itinerary was changed.

interested in why so many changes even before ship set sail

• Like 1

Just now, cruisefan2012 said:

No emails regarding changes

My point was that it was the 13-14th July for Reykjavik 

Hope you parents are having a great time despite all the chopping and changes 

Thanks 

They are making the most of it, they were gutted to miss Norway 🇳🇴 

Very confusing on the itinerary front, I am seeing many variables, even for ports in Norway they missed and should have gone to 

Happy Days!

I was never bothered for Norway, been there 3x before with P&O

Iceland was the reason I booked this itinerary in the first place, a whole NEW country for me !!

I booked it on day 1 and cancelled months ago, long story

Belfast is lovely, I`ve been there a fair few times in the past, to the point of it being like "going home " when I go as ive been so often

5 minutes ago, cruisefan2012 said:

Belfast is lovely, I`ve been there a fair few times in the past, to the point of it being like "going home " when I go as ive been so often

How was it in the 1980s and 1990s ? 

I went there a lot in those times,  and in all honesty, it was never lovely or like home ! 

I have never concentrated so much when driving, as a wrong turn could have been fatal. 

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, wowzz said:

How was it in the 1980s and 1990s ? 

I went there a lot in those times,  and in all honesty, it was never lovely or like home ! 

I have never concentrated so much when driving, as a wrong turn could have been fatal. 

I was a baby in the 80s haha

as a tourist from 2008 onwards its a great place, so much to see and do, titanic belfast, giants causeway, shopping, theatre, music comedy - and of course the great people !!

1 minute ago, cruisefan2012 said:

I was a baby in the 80s haha

as a tourist from 2008 onwards its a great place, so much to see and do, titanic belfast, giants causeway, shopping, theatre, music comedy - and of course the great people !!

Glad you like Belfast.  

Great city, great people,  but you need to understand the backstory.  

Army check points, cars searched before entering a hotel car park,  strangers trying to decide if you were the enemy,  etc. 

I once flew to Belfast,  hired a car, then spent eight hours in a traffic jam due to a suspicious vehicle on a bridge, and then turned round and flew home. 

I dont think your short experience counts as "going home" unless you have experienced the real Belfast.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, wowzz said:

Glad you like Belfast.  

Great city, great people,  but you need to understand the backstory.  

Army check points, cars searched before entering a hotel car park,  strangers trying to decide if you were the enemy,  etc. 

I once flew to Belfast,  hired a car, then spent eight hours in a traffic jam due to a suspicious vehicle on a bridge, and then turned round and flew home. 

I dont think your short experience counts as "going home" unless you have experienced the real Belfast.

To be fair Wozz, you can say that about many places (Berlin 1945, during the airlift, post wall etc), but folk can only experience places in their own lifetime. I mean, when my eldest said that she was going to Belfast for a short break a few years ago, my Dad nearly had a heart attack! Thank goodness things have changed. 

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Ardennais said:

To be fair Wozz, you can say that about many places (Berlin 1945, during the airlift, post wall etc), but folk can only experience places in their own lifetime. I mean, when my eldest said that she was going to Belfast for a short break a few years ago, my Dad nearly had a heart attack! Thank goodness things have changed. 

Fair point.

I guess that if someone feels like it is going home, when in reality all they have done is visited a few tourist sites,  and have no conception of what life was like only thirty years ago, I become a grumpy old man!

• Haha 1

I guess with Belfast a short period in history earmarks it as a certain type of place,tourism wise that brings in money,keeping that going I guess is important to some.

We have been there a couple of times,great City,wonderful people & despite some 'peace wall's going up since the Good Friday agreement the booming tourist industry hopefully means that the resulting income will mean too much to have a return to the bad old days!

After reading the numerous negative posts on here I’d like to give you my current experience whilst on board Arcadia. First of all I was very disappointed to of of lost all Norway ports of call,do you adverse weather conditions , in all fairness the weather hasn’t been great on the way up, so we ended up in Kirkwall Orkney islands I’ve never been so that part of the world is ticked of . We then set sail for Iceland again weather was very poor and at one point must admit I thought are we going to make Iceland , but thankfully we did . And what a place wow , fantastic we are on our 2 nd day in Reykjavik. In regards of the dining  experience were on first sitting it was evident that there was new staff so Day 1 wasn’t great , but every day after that has been fantastic food great service great  in and out with 1 15 mins . Entertainment not great IMO but was glad to see angie brown resident singer is on board And is fantastic. There is a lot of people on board moaning at the smallest things, especially their dining experience , iam sorry but with limited dining options on board and we know the reasons ( no staff)people new this after  a couple of days but continue to moan and turn up late for there meals no sympathy what’s so ever.plan your day and evening better very simple. Sorry to rant but they are lucky that we have actually sailed 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

On 7/10/2022 at 11:55 PM, wowzz said:

Fair point.

I guess that if someone feels like it is going home, when in reality all they have done is visited a few tourist sites,  and have no conception of what life was like only thirty years ago, I become a grumpy old man!

That brings back memories of my flying days.  We used to nightstop in Belfast, but that stopped with the troubles.  Then we needed an armed guard round the aircraft when we landed.  Once flew Vera Lynn there to entertain the troops.  She was a lovely lady.  That would be about 1976 ish.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Triggertravel said:

After reading the numerous negative posts on here I’d like to give you my current experience whilst on board Arcadia. First of all I was very disappointed to of of lost all Norway ports of call,do you adverse weather conditions , in all fairness the weather hasn’t been great on the way up, so we ended up in Kirkwall Orkney islands I’ve never been so that part of the world is ticked of . We then set sail for Iceland again weather was very poor and at one point must admit I thought are we going to make Iceland , but thankfully we did . And what a place wow , fantastic we are on our 2 nd day in Reykjavik. In regards of the dining  experience were on first sitting it was evident that there was new staff so Day 1 wasn’t great , but every day after that has been fantastic food great service great  in and out with 1 15 mins . Entertainment not great IMO but was glad to see angie brown resident singer is on board And is fantastic. There is a lot of people on board moaning at the smallest things, especially their dining experience , iam sorry but with limited dining options on board and we know the reasons ( no staff)people new this after  a couple of days but continue to moan and turn up late for there meals no sympathy what’s so ever.plan your day and evening better very simple. Sorry to rant but they are lucky that we have actually sailed 

Any problems around the ship?

3 hours ago, Triggertravel said:

Always good to get the facts from people onboard the ship, my folks have made their own entertainment, but like you disappointed  to miss Norway.

Dining well you know how it is, you are experiencing it in the moment, not “ I never have a problem, or when we sailed  it was perfect three years ago.

Cheer - Leaders will cheer and never have bad experiences.

With any cruise line the first “True” sailing is as all the experts and cheer -leaders know always a nightmare. (all the kinks have to be ironed out, lose all the kinks and after about a week, things get better)

Glad you get to have your second as planned scheduled day in Reykjavik, hope the rest of the cruise is fantastic for you all.

I have seen the photos and it looks amazing 🤩 

Happy Days!

• Like 1