CAN A NRD BE APPLIED TO ANOTHER BOOKED CRUISE?

BarbaraB2

I have two cruises booked for October with the final payment coming due soon. I want to cancel  one and transfer the NRD (minus the $100 pp administration fee) to the other. However, Celebrity will not allow it. Instead, they will provide a FCC for the $700 balance which I assume can only be used towards a new booking only? 
Has anyone had a different experience with this? What are the ‘rules’ for using FCC? Can they be applied to OBC if they get issued before the next cruise? 
Without a doubt, this is the last time I book a cruise using NRD!

Don't tell them you want to cancel.   Tell them you want to move your current reservation to another ship/sail date.  That's covered in the NRD T&C and at worst you will be charged the $100 pp admin fee and maybe if you are lucky will be waived.

Celebrity phone reps seem to be woefully under trained at this point.   If you can't get someone to to this for you ask for supervisor, if they won't do it ask to be connected to resolutions department.

FCC can be used on existing reservations, it doesn't have to be a new booking.

It would be crazy for Celebrity to want to absorb the bookkeeping expense of going the FCC route.   Totally unnecessary in your situation where you just want to move the reservation to another sailing.

Edited by wrk2cruise

I think the fact that you are trying to move the $ from a cruise you don't want to take to  a cruise you have already booked is the complicating the situation.

If you cancel the cruise you don't want and get the FCC you can then apply that to the other existing sailing, but since final payment is almost due the FCC probably won't be issued in time.

Maybe try calling again and ask to speak to a supervisor who can apply the deposit less the $100pp fee to your other Oct

• Like 1

I moved the NRD deposit from a cruise in December 2021 to another one that I had also booked for a different week in December.  No problem and no administrative fee. My TA was on phone with Celebrity to handle for quite some time, unfortunately.

If all the other suggestions do not work and you are forced into FCC, you should be able to apply this to another cruise ... I did this with a $100 NRD that I had for a cancelled cruise so don't see why you couldn't do the same.  I was even able to do it online in the section where you can make payments on your cruise, you can enter your FCC ##s.  Have not tried this recently but assume this still be an option.

Of course EVERY situation can be different ... Good Luck!

Sorry I misunderstood the OP.   I thought they had another cruise in mind.    I agree with the poster to ask for a supervisor to get the deposit moved to your other reservation as FCC will not be generated in time for final payment.

On 7/6/2022 at 4:08 PM, BarbaraB2 said:

I have two cruises booked for October with the final payment coming due soon. I want to cancel  one and transfer the NRD (minus the $100 pp administration fee) to the other. However, Celebrity will not allow it. Instead, they will provide a FCC for the $700 balance which I assume can only be used towards a new booking only? 
Has anyone had a different experience with this? What are the ‘rules’ for using FCC? Can they be applied to OBC if they get issued before the next cruise? 
Without a doubt, this is the last time I book a cruise using NRD!

I had a NRD cruise booked on Beyond and decided to switch it to an Apex cruise.  No problem.  I believe they just reassigned the Beyond booking number to Apex.  I could not cancel Beyond without penalty.

Yes to what folks are staying, but there may be an issue with timing for transferring the FCC on the cruise you’re cancelling. It sometimes can take a long while to get the numbers. 

Edited by dcbiker97

After multiple discussions with Celebrity, I was unable to transfer the deposit and was charged $100 pp to cancel the first cruise. 
My TA is asking for an expedited FF but I don’t expect it to be issued in time to apply to the second cruise.  As I previously mentioned, this is the first and only NRD for me!

Thank you all for your input!

14 hours ago, BarbaraB2 said:

After multiple discussions with Celebrity, I was unable to transfer the deposit and was charged $100 pp to cancel the first cruise. 
My TA is asking for an expedited FF but I don’t expect it to be issued in time to apply to the second cruise.  As I previously mentioned, this is the first and only NRD for me!

Thank you all for your input!

Just curious as to why you would not want to book with an NRD, again.  The cost of a fully refundable deposit is significantly more than a NRD.

As long as you plan to book another Celebrity cruise and apply the FCC, it can still be a good deal.  Of course if you do not plan to book another Celebrity cruise in the future, you would not want to book with a NRD.

If you were booking another cruise when you cancelled this cruise, you could have transferred your deposit (minus the $100 pp charge) immediately.

Still seems like a good deal to me, but only if you are going to continue to book Celebrity cruises.

I agree, NRD may be good under some circumstances but it has not been beneficial for me. My money is being held hostage by rules designed to discourage changes. If I had a refundable deposit, and canceled the cruise, I could immediately apply the balance to another cruise (regardless of when it was booked) and  I could potentially even re- price it to a lower non -refundable rate prior to final payment.  I like having more options and less restrictions.

1 hour ago, BarbaraB2 said:

I agree, NRD may be good under some circumstances but it has not been beneficial for me. My money is being held hostage by rules designed to discourage changes. If I had a refundable deposit, and canceled the cruise, I could immediately apply the balance to another cruise (regardless of when it was booked) and  I could potentially even re- price it to a lower non -refundable rate prior to final payment.  I like having more options and less restrictions.

Thanks for answering the question.  All valid points IMO.  Just a question of how much you are willing to pay for the cash flexibility.

If you booked you scheduled cruise niw (the one with final payment due soon), what would be the difference in between NRD fare and fully refundable fare?

Unfortunately, the category I booked, Sunset Veranda, is not currently available and I can not  get an accurate price for it. However, with the current promotion, I priced a different cabin to get a ‘feel’ for it. To my surprise, there were several choices in the IV category that were less expensive, and they all included the same options as my original. 

1 hour ago, BarbaraB2 said:

Unfortunately, the category I booked, Sunset Veranda, is not currently available and I can not  get an accurate price for it. However, with the current promotion, I priced a different cabin to get a ‘feel’ for it. To my surprise, there were several choices in the IV category that were less expensive, and they all included the same options as my original. 

What was the difference in price on those choices between the NRD and fully refundable fares.  Just wondering if the added cost was worth the flexibility.

Have  a great time on the cruise. 

Are you considering changing categories to save some money.

the difference in fare (IV) for the end of October cruise is $635 per cabin for the Refundable deposit.  

Edited by jagoffee

Thank you! I am looking forward to it after not being able to cruise since 2019!

To answer your question, no, I would not give up the Sunset Veranda cabin just to save money. The cost was never the main issue; the restrictions imposed on my deposit was. 

• Like 1