Canadian with past medical history looking for annual travel insurance recommendations

unclekinny

Folks:

I am looking for suggestions on an annual travel insurance plan.

I am Canadian, 67 years old, I had considerable medical issues in much of 2021after a fall. I had a perforated bladder and shattered shoulder which resulted in emergency surgery. Additionally, I had 2 minor strokes. After out-patient care I was released in late December of 2021. I also had an operation to correct a dupuytren contracture on my hand. Other than all that I have to self-catheter 5 times a day.

As is common with catheter usage, I do get an occasional UTI which is quickly corrected with a short treatment of meds.  I have no other or continuing issues anymore thankfully. I also take blood pressure medication and ASA as a blood thinner.

All this happened right after I retired and I would dearly like to get to the fun part of retirement by travelling again.

I am hoping to find a plan that will cover me considering my medical past. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I can't help on the annual plans but for a single trip plan we compared Manulife with Blue Cross earlier this year. I found that Blue Cross was a little less intensive in it's health questions and a little less costly vs. Manulife but it's exclusions/range of coverage was weaker than Manulife's ( at least for my specific health issues). We ended up going with Manulife. I did not want to be penny wise and pound foolish. Sorry, probably  not much help, but perhaps a place to start with your research.     

I just booked an annual plan with TuGo, with a rider that reduces the stability period to 7 days. I had originally asked about a single trip, but the initial questionnaire I had to fill in mentioned annual plans, so I asked for quotes for both. It was about 25% more expensive to get a 20 day annual plan (with a 2 day extension for the current trip) than just the current trip. By the way, I am 66.

Edited by gnome12

My parents went with Blue Cross.  If I recall correctly, annual plans are not an option for people with health issues in combination with age.  Anyway, they were happy with the coverage and the cost.

Thanks all. I am starting to realize that the real issue seems to be with those having had a stroke. Even though mine were classified as a mini stroke, it still is hard to find coverage. Geeze there must be 1000's of other Canadians that have had similar strokes. How do they get coverage? There is NO WAY I'd go to the states without coverage!

I just spoke to my travel agent about this as my dad had a deep brain thalamic bleed a couple years ago. The agent said they are recommending Manulife for people with pre-existing conditions.  
I’m not sure if it’s ok to provide the number, but try 1-877-882-2953

and have prescriptions ready when you call.

Edited by YVRteacher

12 minutes ago, YVRteacher said:

I just spoke to my travel agent about this as my dad had a deep brain thalamic bleed a couple years ago. The agent said they are recommending Manulife for people with pre-existing conditions.  
I’m not sure if it’s ok to provide the number, but try 1-877-882-2953

and have prescriptions ready when you call.

Thank you so much! I'll give them a call.

We've gone with Blue Cross for yearly coverage for trips up to 30 days. My husband had an increase of 1 medication and they upped the $ significantly. He's over 61 so they ask more questions. I was still 60 when we renewed our policy, so saving $400. 

Our TA recommends Manulife...we also get it for cancellation insurance and medical (at times) because they have better coverage than blue cross for some things.

Many TA's recommend Manulife, but their questions are extensive and they declined to insure DW. Blue Cross did not have sufficient pre-existing coverage. Next, we checked BCAA and TuGo, who both provided an offer of coverage.

I am finding gathering a complete records to refer to this rather overwhelming. For example even though I have been through a lot of medical treatments, tests and issues since this all began last year, I have no idea how I can obtain a complete record of all this information to relay to a potential insurer. My treatments were from hospital stays, out-patient sessions, the stroke center, etc. How have others tackled all this?

Sorry for this but at 67 yrs., I lived a life where I never got sick and never saw a doctor for at least 25 years, so this is all new to me.

I don't have the same extent of medical concerns as you do, but I had some "stuff" happen to me about a year ago now, that made getting insurance questionable.  Here is what I found and hope that it is helpful...

A lot of what the insurance company is looking at is not the condition but the stability of the condition.

How long has the condition been stable.

How long since an addition - or subtraction - of medication.  Increase or decrease in medication as well.

I did not think my medical condition was that significant, but Manulife turned me down flat out.  I filled out an extensive questionnaire with Manulife feeling very exposed by the detail that I had to provide and weeks later I got a letter in the mail saying I was not insurable.

I managed my Mother's medical insurance (as a Canadian) going to Florida as a snowbird for years and many of her friends used the same company and got insurance so I knew that I could get insurance somewhere.

I finally found that CAA has the best options for me.

First, you can do it on the phone with CAA and get an answer immediately.  The guy that I talked to was very frank but reasonable.  At the time that I called because my "event" was within 6 months it would mean higher rates.  My trip was not for months yet, so he suggested calling back and doing the questions again after 6 months and my rates would fall.

I contacted 4-5 insurance firms and for me CAA was the best option.

Hope this helps.

1 hour ago, unclekinny said:

I am finding gathering a complete records to refer to this rather overwhelming. For example even though I have been through a lot of medical treatments, tests and issues since this all began last year, I have no idea how I can obtain a complete record of all this information to relay to a potential insurer. My treatments were from hospital stays, out-patient sessions, the stroke center, etc. How have others tackled all this?

Sorry for this but at 67 yrs., I lived a life where I never got sick and never saw a doctor for at least 25 years, so this is all new to me.

Not sure where you are from, but all of your recent medical treatments "should" be linked through your provincial health care number, assuming all of your treatments were in your home province and your province has a centralized database. I would think you could ask your family doctor for a copy of your records... they might charge you an administrative fee. 

17 hours ago, Heidi13 said:

Many TA's recommend Manulife, but their questions are extensive and they declined to insure DW. Blue Cross did not have sufficient pre-existing coverage. Next, we checked BCAA and TuGo, who both provided an offer of coverage.

With TuGo how did you choose the broker form their list?  There are so many, none of which I know anything about.

Another option is to work through a Broker; I’ve used Mediquote.ca in Winnipeg, and Calgary, check them out on line then if you like what you read , give them a call.. CAA is another option…. Manulife also has an department to call for complicated medical histories 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SilvertoGold said:

With TuGo how did you choose the broker form their list?  There are so many, none of which I know anything about.

I used Travel Secure. I have seen Martin Firestone on the news many times talking about travel insurance, so I went with that. When I discussed my health issues he was the one who suggested TuGo. There was a fairly simple questionnaire involved, and 2 quick quotes - one for my single trip, and one for the annual plan. I accepted the annual plan, and hope that things will go well.

(One thing to note about travel medical insurance is that they will underwrite after the fact, at claim time. That is when most of them will dig into your medical history in order to make sure that the claim should be covered. Maybe it is better to get that all out in advance by providing lots of documentation a la Manulife, but I chose Tugo's approach.)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SilvertoGold said:

We use our local insurance broker, who we use for all our insurance needs - car, house, rv, etc.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Heidi13 said:

We use our local insurance broker, who we use for all our insurance needs - car, house, rv, etc.

I'm not sure that is a great idea. Travel medical is quite different from those types of coverages; it is better to have someone who specializes in it.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, unclekinny said:

You may be able to get a copy of your records directly from the hospital.  / Centres where you received treatment.

When you contact insurance companies, you may want to ask if there is a specific underwriting department for people with preexisting conditions.  

Another company to look at is Medipac.   I believe they have a special personalized underwriting department as well.  

Good luck.  

• Like 1

Just now, ringers0815 said:

We use MEDOC from Johnson Insurance. They offer a standard plan for unlimited trips of up to 40 days each and you can have a supplemental plan for a trip of more than 40 days.

A standard plan doesn't work for someone with non-stable pre-existing conditions.

• Like 1

On 7/8/2022 at 10:19 AM, gnome12 said:

I just booked an annual plan with TuGo, with a rider that reduces the stability period to 7 days. I had originally asked about a single trip, but the initial questionnaire I had to fill in mentioned annual plans, so I asked for quotes for both. It was about 25% more expensive to get a 20 day annual plan (with a 2 day extension for the current trip) than just the current trip. By the way, I am 66.

We have also purchased the annual plan with TUGO. We have bought single trip plans with them in the past, including when I had an unstable medical condition (paid extra for that one!). Luckily, we have never had to make a claim, so can’t comment on how that would go. 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, gnome12 said:

I'm not sure that is a great idea. Travel medical is quite different from those types of coverages; it is better to have someone who specializes in it.

I read the entire policy document, so I understand the coverage and most importantly the limitations, so do not require assistance from a specific broker.

The insurance company we deal with has numerous agents, who all have different specialties.

It has worked for us for over 40 years, including one trip when we had a reasonable claim. Therefore, for us it is a great idea.

• Like 1

Great information all - Thank you!

I am starting to look at Medipac which is the provider used by The Canadian Snowbirds Association. Does anyone have any experience good or bad with these people at Medipac?

I appreciate all the help!