Trip insurance that covers cruise voucher purchase?

mslaabs

I tried the search feature and I must not be using the magical phrase because I can't find an answer, so hoping someone here can help.  I want to purchase a Viking Cruise using a voucher we received when we had to previously cancel a cruise due to a Covid related issue.  Viking confirmed through email that their TripMate's travel insurance would not cover the voucher if we once again had to cancel (the new cruise).  Can anyone suggest a travel insurance that will cover the voucher if we had to cancel?  I understand there are cancellation fees, but beyond that how can we protect the money tied up in the voucher (a few thousand dollars)? I did search several insurance providers but could not find anything on their websites specifically related to travel vouchers.   I guess the biggest concern is testing positive a day or two before sailing date.  I'm still a little baffled that the cruise line's insurance would not protect the money tied up in the voucher.  At the very least I was expecting we would receive another voucher.  

Thanks for any help you can offer.

This may be one of those times when it is best to get on the phone and talk with the various insurance companies and ask your questions. The insurance and voucher thing is so confusing that trying to find and understand it in the fine print is impossible. Let the insurance company explain to you what their policy covers.

1 hour ago, mslaabs said:

I tried the search feature and I must not be using the magical phrase because I can't find an answer, so hoping someone here can help.  I want to purchase a Viking Cruise using a voucher we received when we had to previously cancel a cruise due to a Covid related issue.  Viking confirmed through email that their TripMate's travel insurance would not cover the voucher if we once again had to cancel (the new cruise).  Can anyone suggest a travel insurance that will cover the voucher if we had to cancel?  I understand there are cancellation fees, but beyond that how can we protect the money tied up in the voucher (a few thousand dollars)? I did search several insurance providers but could not find anything on their websites specifically related to travel vouchers.   I guess the biggest concern is testing positive a day or two before sailing date.  I'm still a little baffled that the cruise line's insurance would not protect the money tied up in the voucher.  At the very least I was expecting we would receive another voucher.  

The reason the Viking insurance does not cover the value of the voucher is because you are only paying the premium based on the cash used. Therefore, the voucher is not insured.

You should be able to contact any of the 3rd party insurers to check which ones will accept the risk.

There is a a very reputable ins broker who is on CC.  He has a q&a on Cruise/Travel Insurance category, under Cruise Discussion Topics. You can ask there, or call him.  I have used him many times.

Edited by FetaCheese
Addl info

2 minutes ago, FetaCheese said:

There is a a very reputable ins broker who is on CC.  He has a q&a on cruise/travel category.  You can ask there, or call him.

Totally agree. His name is Steve and his email is steve at tripinsurancestore dot com. His phone number is 816-282-6858. He is very detail oriented and highly recommended. 

On 7/10/2022 at 8:05 PM, mslaabs said:

You can determine if a policy you are considering covers vouchers by looking in the Definitions for terms like Payments and Deposits or Forms of Payment. Most do not recognize vouchers, FCC, or gift cards because they do not have cash value; but, after COVID, some companies will cover vouchers for the value of the initial cruise fare only - not any bonus FCC.

It is a tedious process to go through multiple policies, and it still does not address the issue of establishing initial deposit date, which can vary from policy to policy and will impact your eligibility for things like a pre-existing conditions waiver if that is of concern.

The easiest - and safest - thing to do is to contact a broker who has access to policies from a number of companies and can advise you of the one that best fits your needs. There is a good recommendation in post #5.

Edited by Babr
  • Like 1

On 7/11/2022 at 8:01 AM, FetaCheese said:

There is a a very reputable ins broker who is on CC.  He has a q&a on Cruise/Travel Insurance category, under Cruise Discussion Topics. You can ask there, or call him.  I have used him many times.

Hi FetaCheese,

I'm that guy. Thank you for your kind words.

I am very thankful for the favor and kind words I have received on Cruise Critic. The editors have let me do six multi-month long Q & As in the last 5 years.

Here's the Cruise Critic Q & A I recently finished:

Here's the archived link to the Q & A I did in Dec 2020 and Jan 2021 that was re-opened in June 2021:

I also did a Q & A on Cruise Critic for June 2020:

Steve Dasseos

• Like 2

On 7/11/2022 at 8:06 AM, keokukjoe said:

Totally agree. His name is Steve and his email is steve at tripinsurancestore dot com. His phone number is 816-282-6858. He is very detail oriented and highly recommended. 

Hi keokukjoe,

Thank you for your kind words.

Steve Dasseos

• 2 weeks later...

Bumping this thread.   Like the original poster, I'd like to find insurance that will insure MY TOTAL COST for a new Viking trip I booked last month.  Most of the cost of this trip was covered by a voucher issued by Viking for a trip I paid for last year.  I had to cancel that trip because I came down with Covid (in the embarkation port! So near, yet so far...)

I bought Viking insurance for this new trip, but found out too late that Viking''s "TripMate" does not insure the value of their own vouchers: "once redeemed, vouchers will not be reissued"

Has anyone else in this position found a third party insurer that will insure the value of the vouchers?

I've gone through two online brokers, and contacted four insurers.  I have yet to find a company which addresses "vouchers" in their "Certificate of Insurance".   I've tried speaking to company agents,  but I get different answers depending on who answers the phone.  Since the scenario isn't addressed in the written contracts, it seems to be subject to interpretation.  Clearly I'd prefer to purchase insurance from a company with an unambiguous guarantee of coverage.

Thanks to anyone who has been successful in their own search and can share any insights.

On 7/10/2022 at 9:05 PM, mslaabs said:

On 7/28/2022 at 7:20 PM, IDLnyc said:

Bumping this thread.   Like the original poster, I'd like to find insurance that will insure MY TOTAL COST for a new Viking trip I booked last month.  Most of the cost of this trip was covered by a voucher issued by Viking for a trip I paid for last year.  I had to cancel that trip because I came down with Covid (in the embarkation port! So near, yet so far...)

I bought Viking insurance for this new trip, but found out too late that Viking''s "TripMate" does not insure the value of their own vouchers: "once redeemed, vouchers will not be reissued"

Has anyone else in this position found a third party insurer that will insure the value of the vouchers?

I've gone through two online brokers, and contacted four insurers.  I have yet to find a company which addresses "vouchers" in their "Certificate of Insurance".   I've tried speaking to company agents,  but I get different answers depending on who answers the phone.  Since the scenario isn't addressed in the written contracts, it seems to be subject to interpretation.  Clearly I'd prefer to purchase insurance from a company with an unambiguous guarantee of coverage.

Thanks to anyone who has been successful in their own search and can share any insights.

Hi IDLync,

Two days ago I wrote a detailed Blog post about this:

https://tripinsurancestore.com/blog/how-to-insure-a-future-cruise-or-travel-credit/

I hope it makes sense.

Steve Dasseos

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2