Poor Communication and Treatment related to COVID+ Test on Alaska Cruise

Jaws2

The.Voyager Inn must still be the place or at least one of the places because it shows it’s closed to bookings for the whole season, yet I drove by, and there are people staying there with their windows open and one standing on his balcony. I also read it was used for oil workers to quarantine during Covid before going to the slope up north. 

I’ve never heard of an Aptel Hotel in Anchorage, so I looked it up. It’s not in a good part of town, though I guess it doesn’t matter, since you aren’t allowed to leave your room anyway if you’re quarantining/isolating.

3 hours ago, SargassoPirate said:

The OP stated he had only mild symptoms and yet was treated like Typhoid Mary.

With the vaccines and therapeutics available, it's high time for the cruise lines to focus on actual illnesses and not positive tests of people who are not sick.

They may have had mild symptoms but the next person they passed the virus to may have gotten very severe symptoms.  

• Like 8

6 hours ago, memoak said:

They may have had mild symptoms but the next person they passed the virus to may have gotten very severe symptoms.  

Then the next person should have worn an N95 to protect themselves.  

Some people have built themselves a Covid Prison and are two years into their sentence.

I prefer to get vaxxed and boosted and get back to living.

If you are truly worried about catching covid wear an N95 all of the time. Otherwise you are going to get covid sooner or later since the virus is here to stay.

The good news is the vaccines and the therapeutics are working.

• Like 3

I just don't understand why people are doing land-sea tours, Hawaii, Panama Canal trips, and others right now, or even one-way Alaska cruises that begin or end in Canada, especially people whose age or health problems open up even a remote possibility of hospitalization or worse. I know people are anxious to travel after years of sitting at home, but there are a lot of travel options that won't get you quarantined and where you can minimize your time around others in infectious situations. I got Covid on Discovery a few weeks ago, and probably wouldn't have gone in the first place had I known there would be 3400 passengers, but I at least didn't get symptoms until after I drove home and tested negative on debarkation morning. Still, I'm only going on 4-5 day warm-weather cruises until Omicron and its parade of variants is done, or until cruise lines stop forcibly quarantining those who test positive. When on board, I'm not doing any shows, meals, tours, or other activities where I can't keep a safe distance--I most likely got Covid in a packed theater during a lame production show I've seen before. I'm going to be especially cautious on my next cruise, since I don't want to be quarantined on the Diamond Princess. 

• Like 2

Earlier this week a friend called.  He was traveling to a Disney Cruise in Alaska with his family of 12.  They tested negative and entered Canada in Vancouver.  3 didn't feel well after arrival, self tested and were positive. Disney gave a credit to all 12 and they stayed in Vancouver to quarantine. They are trying to get to Seattle so that they can travel home after a 5 day quarantine instead of 10 in Canada.  Clearly cruising right now is highly susceptible to interruption and a big bill to cover the quarantine and travel home.  

• Thanks 1

20 hours ago, SargassoPirate said:

Some people have built themselves a Covid Prison and are two years into their sentence.

If you are truly worried about catching covid wear an N95 all of the time. Otherwise you are going to get covid sooner or later since the virus is here to stay.

I wore n95 entire time and fought it on land tour. Quad Vaxxed  - just cold symptoms but stinks my vacation was ruined. At some point they should let people on the ship and they can continue thr 5 day isolation and then resume the cruise.

I was on four Alaskan cruises this year—B2B, one week on land, B2B—on three different cruise lines.  I was on HAL, Princess and NCL.  Of the three, Princess was the best at requiring folks to mask up.  NCL was the worst—I actually was confronted by a passenger as to why I was wearing a mask.  He was so aggressive that he was reported to staff during our conversation.  Geesh!  I was asked if I wanted to file a report.  Nope, just requested that that ‘gentleman’ and traveling party would try to avoid us.  I did get up and leave some venues when they showed up…

We have been home for a week and neither of us have tested positive.  We had taken five monitored tests during our travels (negative) and we wore masks on board ships, shore excursions, transfers, Alaska Rail, Major Marine tour, etc.  While on land, we arranged private tours when we could to minimize exposure.  Sounds like we dodged a bullet in not catching Covid!  People are certainly NOT masking.

Our NCL cruise was horrible due to the behavior of unmasked folks and kids, poor food quality and activities.  We used the last of our FCC—we will never take another NCL cruise.

We enjoyed our other cruises so much that we’ve jumped on a great price and booked an August Alaskan cruise on HAL.  We’ll do the same as we did earlier this summer (masking, etc) and hope we don’t catch Covid!

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Jaws2 said:

Earlier this week a friend called.  He was traveling to a Disney Cruise in Alaska with his family of 12.  They tested negative and entered Canada in Vancouver.  3 didn't feel well after arrival, self tested and were positive. Disney gave a credit to all 12 and they stayed in Vancouver to quarantine. They are trying to get to Seattle so that they can travel home after a 5 day quarantine instead of 10 in Canada.  Clearly cruising right now is highly susceptible to interruption and a big bill to cover the quarantine and travel home.  

Princess basically threatened that if my wife tested positive by their test it was a MANDATORY 10day quarantine in Vancouver. Bus was full to Seattle and once in quarantine you had to stay in quarantine for full 10 days.

On 7/13/2022 at 3:48 PM, SargassoPirate said:

This is the one of the exact attitudes of why the US is going to keep floundering with Covid....pure nonsense.

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

23 hours ago, rj59 said:

...until Omicron and its parade of variants is done, ...

Well that part of it will be never, there will always be new variants. Though I guess they might not be Omicron variants eventually. We could move on to Pi variants or Sigma variants.

On 7/13/2022 at 9:22 AM, cruisequeen4ever said:

The.Voyager Inn must still be the place or at least one of the places because it shows it’s closed to bookings for the whole season, yet I drove by, and there are people staying there with their windows open and one standing on his balcony. I also read it was used for oil workers to quarantine during Covid before going to the slope up north. 

I’ve never heard of an Aptel Hotel in Anchorage, so I looked it up. It’s not in a good part of town, though I guess it doesn’t matter, since you aren’t allowed to leave your room anyway if you’re quarantining/isolating.

I can speak from experience about the Aptel. DH came down with COVID in Denali. We think he caught it in Fairbanks. No one wears masks or social distances. We did, but the virus doesn’t care if you are in close quarters and no one else is masked. We were bussed to Anchorage….HAL and Princess passengers. The. Voyager Inn was full, another hotel Beacon Health Care had secured rooms in was full, so the Aptel was the one that had rooms available. It is true, when you are quarantined in your room and can’t even go out in the hall, it doesn’t matter where you are. We had seven different couples on our bus that day. You are charged $550 per day, but it will be reimbursed in the future. Too many people mixing pre-cruise and post-cruise. The post cruisers don’t care because they already had their cruise. The pre-cruisers miss their cruise. Just too much pent-up demand and too many people jammed into close quarters. I think if people knew the actual COVID positive numbers, they would be shocked.

• Like 1

On 7/14/2022 at 7:53 PM, PrincessLuver said:

This is the one of the exact attitudes of why the US is going to keep floundering with Covid....pure nonsense.

With all due respect, would you care to explain what about my post is "pure nonsense".  For your convenience, I'll repost it below:

"Then the next person should have worn an N95 to protect themselves.  

The good news is the vaccines and the therapeutics are working."

• Like 1

On 7/14/2022 at 7:40 PM, Yehootu said:

Princess basically threatened that if my wife tested positive by their test it was a MANDATORY 10day quarantine in Vancouver. Bus was full to Seattle and once in quarantine you had to stay in quarantine for full 10 days.

If that's what they said, it was not accurate.  You can break quarantine if you travel by private vehicle out of the country.  You can check with the Government of Canada COVID Information Line at (833) 784-4397.  Admittedly it is difficult to arrange but it's being done.

You point out the biggest problem with Princess, inaccurate information that was important to get correct.

• Like 2