Discovery buffet self serve or not ?

modes

Anyone who has sailed on the Discovery recently is the buffet self serve? We were on the first 2 sailings and they were serving you and they were very short staffed and you had to wait for someone to come over and serve you. Thanks for your replies.

7 hours ago, juneaugold said:

Just got off Discovery on July 10th. 

Buffets were all self serve and running efficiently.

That's good to hear. It sound like Princess may soon be returning to self service on other ships as well. 

It's frustrating having to stand there & be served each item, especially when their shorthanded.

• Like 4

Almost everything is self-serve now, except for peanut butter cookies, for some reason. I wish they'd have someone serving the seafood feast at lunch the final day, since people were piling their plates high with as many oysters as they could fit on a plate and attacking a line of cakes like starving piglets. 

• Haha 4

7 hours ago, rj59 said:

Almost everything is self-serve now, except for peanut butter cookies, for some reason. I wish they'd have someone serving the seafood feast at lunch the final day, since people were piling their plates high with as many oysters as they could fit on a plate and attacking a line of cakes like starving piglets. 

Where did you get fresh oysters? We've not seen that. The peanut butter cookies are kept away from everything else because of pax with nut allergies. That's what we were told. 

27 minutes ago, ImperialLady said:

I see that some people will not wear gloves but they will use the hand sanitizer. It was merely a question, ok.

It wasn't really a question.  You wanted to veer off into a discussion of hand-washing, food handling and the like rather than talk about the return of self-serve buffets.

• Haha 2

On 7/17/2022 at 10:29 PM, stevenr597 said:

Just completed 7 day cruise on Discovery.  The Buffet was self serve.  We, whenever possible, dined in one of the main dining rooms for breakfast and lunch. 

Because it was self serve 

• Thanks 1

On 7/17/2022 at 5:29 PM, stevenr597 said:

Just completed 7 day cruise on Discovery.  The Buffet was self serve.  We, whenever possible, dined in one of the main dining rooms for breakfast and lunch. 

I don't think the buffet is for everyone, especially those that are overly concerned about contracting the virus. We have no problem with it and always found it to be acceptable & clean and are looking forward to have them open it for self service in the near future on all the ships.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, MissP22 said:

I don't think the buffet is for everyone, especially those that are overly concerned about contracting the virus. We have no problem with it and always found it to be acceptable & clean and are looking forward to have them open it for self service in the near future on all the ships.

The majority of passengers on our cruise did eat, especially breakfast and lunch in the buffet.  To be fair and honest, there is a wide variety of dishes, and an entire section filled with desserts.

However, we have  several friends who did contract Norovirus.  In addition, we prefer to be served with the hot food being hot, and cold food cold.  Because of this, whenever possible we book Club Class and try to eat the majority (not all) of our meals in the Dining Room. 

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, stevenr597 said:

In addition, we prefer to be served with the hot food being hot, and cold food cold. 

The only ship we had problems with food not being hot was on the Caribbean Princess a few years ago, otherwise it's always been acceptable.

11 hours ago, stevenr597 said:

The majority of passengers on our cruise did eat, especially breakfast and lunch in the buffet.  To be fair and honest, there is a wide variety of dishes, and an entire section filled with desserts.

However, we have  several friends who did contract Norovirus.  In addition, we prefer to be served with the hot food being hot, and cold food cold.  Because of this, whenever possible we book Club Class and try to eat the majority (not all) of our meals in the Dining Room. 

Hope your friends are doing well.  Now that some of the sanitation measures are   not being enforced, we have to deal with Norovirus again!  Wash your hands people!  Sanitize your hands people!

Norovirus  is a lot worse than any cold or flu that I ever had.  
I’ve seen some disgusting behavior at the buffet. Sorry, had to rant.