Encore - What to Expect?

Tippyton

1 hour ago, TominNC said:

We're no kids either, so her ability to play songs we like was much appreciated.  We were sitting there the first night and I said to my wife, I bet she could do a great Carole King.  So my wife made a request and sure enough, spot on.  When she saw us the next night she just "happened" to do a King song in that set.

My wife gave her a long list of Carole King songs during our August 2021 sailing, as her tone and style were a great match.  I have a poor but precious recording of her doing Hallelujah from Leonard Cohen for us.   

Looking at Encore Haven Spa Suite. NCL notation says it sleeps 4 people yet I only saw one bed in NCL diagram. How do they get 2 more beds in that cabin? A sleep sofa nor a pull out appears in any of the pictures I've seen.

We were on the Encore for a 21 day repositioning cruise to Seattle in April.  I know beauty is in the eye of the beholder but the Atrium chandelier, we joked, was made to look like alien pods and much of the artwork was modern minimalistic, in our opinion.  Not to our taste but we weren't there for the artwork!  As other cc's mentioned, it has a fantastic observation lounge which you might miss if you're not looking for it.  Take advantage of it!  It far surpassed any other place on the ship except for the Haven!  The waterfront lounges were very nice if you could find a seat!  We found them to be occupied most of the time by nappers, book readers and people that lived there all day.  Nice space though!  The Cavern was always full with the Beatles show or comedians.  Don't know what the entertainment is for Alaska.  I usually enjoy NCL's entertainment but for the 21 day, it was minimal for the main Theater events.  The atrium had events- game shows, movies, live music and DJ's-  extremely loud.  The nice thing was they had seating on the floor above with bar stools and a ledge that you could eat at and/or drink while watching the shows.  The 24 hr. restaurant and a bar were right there and the food was very good too!  One of our favorites was to get the chicken wings and go to the observation lounge or back to our room to devour them!   You'll enjoy the ship- it's huge!  We generally had no problem getting our 10,000 steps in!  If you're interested in going to the spa- go to one of the pampering parties.  It's a fun time going for a self facial and they put a very discounted package together for a reasonable price.  They do push their California Sun Powder which I did only because I'd bought in the past.  Gives you a great healthy glow without illuminating like so many glow products.  Use sparingly.  It will last years.  Bonus is it comes with the brush at the pampering party.  They have the typical water slides along with the co-carts.  We didn't use them.  They also have the galaxy room.  This was a mystery and didn't open till late- it has an escape room in it and other gaming entertainment.  We always meant to go but never did.  Sounded interesting and something to investigate on a rainy sea day.  We're off on the Getaway in a couple weeks and have put it on our list again- only 7 days so only if it rains!  Have a great time on your cruise!

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, kitty-sail said:

Looking at Encore Haven Spa Suite. NCL notation says it sleeps 4 people yet I only saw one bed in NCL diagram. How do they get 2 more beds in that cabin? A sleep sofa nor a pull out appears in any of the pictures I've seen.

I just looked up an Aft Haven Spa Suite, accommodates only 2 (per sign in youtube video from NCL tour).  Not sure why they say up to 4, as there is no other bed that I can see in those cabins.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, sea witch said:

We were on the Encore for a 21 day repositioning cruise to Seattle in April.  I know beauty is in the eye of the beholder but the Atrium chandelier, we joked, was made to look like alien pods and much of the artwork was modern minimalistic, in our opinion.  Not to our taste but we weren't there for the artwork!  As other cc's mentioned, it has a fantastic observation lounge which you might miss if you're not looking for it.  Take advantage of it!  It far surpassed any other place on the ship except for the Haven!  The waterfront lounges were very nice if you could find a seat!  We found them to be occupied most of the time by nappers, book readers and people that lived there all day.  Nice space though!  The Cavern was always full with the Beatles show or comedians.  Don't know what the entertainment is for Alaska.  I usually enjoy NCL's entertainment but for the 21 day, it was minimal for the main Theater events.  The atrium had events- game shows, movies, live music and DJ's-  extremely loud.  The nice thing was they had seating on the floor above with bar stools and a ledge that you could eat at and/or drink while watching the shows.  The 24 hr. restaurant and a bar were right there and the food was very good too!  One of our favorites was to get the chicken wings and go to the observation lounge or back to our room to devour them!   You'll enjoy the ship- it's huge!  We generally had no problem getting our 10,000 steps in!  If you're interested in going to the spa- go to one of the pampering parties.  It's a fun time going for a self facial and they put a very discounted package together for a reasonable price.  They do push their California Sun Powder which I did only because I'd bought in the past.  Gives you a great healthy glow without illuminating like so many glow products.  Use sparingly.  It will last years.  Bonus is it comes with the brush at the pampering party.  They have the typical water slides along with the co-carts.  We didn't use them.  They also have the galaxy room.  This was a mystery and didn't open till late- it has an escape room in it and other gaming entertainment.  We always meant to go but never did.  Sounded interesting and something to investigate on a rainy sea day.  We're off on the Getaway in a couple weeks and have put it on our list again- only 7 days so only if it rains!  Have a great time on your cruise!

The Local allows you to take the food to go?

40 minutes ago, disneylover89 said:

The Local allows you to take the food to go?

They may not pack it to go for you, but, I can't imagine that they would stop you if you got up and walked away the plate.  

I like to nibble during the night so I often take food to go from the various dining venues.  Some will pack it to go for you, others like the buffet I just take with me.  I can't recall specifically that I've ever taken "The local" to go.

• Like 1

what the heck...I'll pile on with a review, too.

BTW...not sure why someone doesn't like the Encore's chandelier.  Granted, it's different than the crystal ones in the older ships, but I like the idea of rose petals....

8B816FB8-9889-4C74-B70A-D93976D107F4.jpeg.9135e6b1c50fc1c376d13319312e44cf.jpeg

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, graphicguy said:

what the heck...I'll pile on with a review, too.

BTW...not sure why someone doesn't like the Encore's chandelier.  Granted, it's different than the crystal ones in the older ships, but I like the idea of rose petals....

8B816FB8-9889-4C74-B70A-D93976D107F4.jpeg.9135e6b1c50fc1c376d13319312e44cf.jpeg

the actual scale of it in the space seems too big for me.  However, a chandelier doesn't factor into my cruise decisions thankfully lol 

Edited by aubreyc1988
  • Like 1

41 minutes ago, aubreyc1988 said:

the actual scale of it in the space seems too big for me.  However, a chandelier doesn't factor into my cruise decisions thankfully lol 

I’m probably the last person to give art critiques.  I can’t even draw a stick man! 😉

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 7/19/2022 at 3:16 PM, gvgseg said:

Sailing on Encore in 2 weeks. Anybody know whether Kinky Boots will be showing? I'm seeing conflicting information.

I would expect it will be playing.   We were on the May 22 Encore sailing and it wasn't showing as an option until after we boarded.  IIRC that was their first cruise with the new cast.  They had several technical difficulties but think they made it through at least two or three performances.  We saw it and thought it was fun. 

20 minutes ago, Ixtoras said:

They had several technical difficulties but think they made it through at least two or three performances.  We saw it and thought it was fun. 

We saw it in May and when the performance was paused due to a "technical difficulty," I took it as a very welcomed opportunity to exit the theatre.  I've honestly tried to sit through that thing twice, but it really just isn't my thing.  I'll leave it to the other enthusiasts.  You can have my seat while I warm yours in the bar.

18 hours ago, ChiefMateJRK said:

We saw it in May and when the performance was paused due to a "technical difficulty," I took it as a very welcomed opportunity to exit the theatre.  I've honestly tried to sit through that thing twice, but it really just isn't my thing.  I'll leave it to the other enthusiasts.  You can have my seat while I warm yours in the bar.

Funny, we must have been at the same show. IIRC, It "paused" right after the main actor sat down on the stage. We seriously thought about taking off then, but figured we had already made it that far. They got it back up and running in about 5 minutes.   I do wish they had a bar in the theater like they do on some of the other ships.

I don't think it was nearly as good as Choir of Man.  Hint, sit in the first 1/4 of the theater at Choir if you want to get a beer from the cast.  

1 hour ago, Ixtoras said:

Funny, we must have been at the same show. IIRC, It "paused" right after the main actor sat down on the stage. We seriously thought about taking off then, but figured we had already made it that far. They got it back up and running in about 5 minutes.   I do wish they had a bar in the theater like they do on some of the other ships.

I don't think it was nearly as good as Choir of Man.  Hint, sit in the first 1/4 of the theater at Choir if you want to get a beer from the cast.  

In May we were in the back 1/2 and a beer still made it into my hands! 😎