Question re: B2B and Potential Positive COVID Test before First Cruise

colliercruiser

Just a hypothetical question which I hope will not occur for us...

We're on a B2B in October 2022, and I understand that Celebrity's policy is that if you test positive within 10 days of embarkation, you cannot board (makes sense) AND they refund 100% of the cruise fare.  In that case, what happens to the second cruise of the B2B?  Do they automatically cancel that one too and refund that cruise fare?  The second cruise is more than 10 days after the first cruise (i.e., each sailing is 12 nights), so theoretically one might be well out of the "COVID positive" window and able to cruise (with a negative test).  But not sure I will want to take the second cruise if the first one is canceled for us.

That's a great question and I'm interested in the answer also. My parents have a similar situation coming up in August. their plan so far is to go on the second cruise, and just isolate in the destination for 5 days and then use the rest of the time to be a tourist until the second cruise. 

Edited by AbbyCruiser45

Celebrity treats B2B as 2 separate sailings.   As long as they were able to test negative prior to the second sailing or get a Certificate of Recovery accompanied by a documented positive test 11 days or more prior to the second sailing they should be good to go.

• Like 1

Although on a different line, there is a couple who do the world cruise every year on HAL.  Without a world cruise this year, they spent from mid-December until April between Nieuw Amsterdam and Nieuw Statendam.  Between two of the cruises, one tested positive.  They debarked in FLL, isolated in a hotel for the length of that cruise, then rejoined the ship on the next leg.  I also believe HAL paid…. They always do Live From reports, so it’s on the HAL forum.  EM

In our situation, we are on the Summit for both sailings... both departing from Boston.  First one returns to Boston and second leg (a repositioning cruise) leaves Boston and disembarks in Miami.  If we test before we fly to Boston and (hypothetically) test positive, we won't fly to Boston and expect to be reimbursed by Celebrity for that sailing.  Based on prior responses, it sounds like Celebrity expects that we will rebook our flights to Boston and join the second sailing (assuming we test negative by then)... and no option to just get reimbursed for the second cruise.

Don’t know if this is ‘policy’, but I just finished a Solstice Alaska cruise. I had light symptoms and tested positive exactly 10 days prior. After a few days, no high temp (went to 100) and no real feeling bad except tired, Isolated as I kept tested positive. Was approaching us flying to Seattle 3 days prior. Dr told me I wasn’t contagious and could travel. Flew meeting all our family in Seattle. Tested positive a bit, then the day prior to departure tested negative. took the monitored test and was negative. 

Filled out Celebrity health questionnaire and was truthful on it that I had tested positive within 10 days. When I got to the check in, a medical person asked me questions, took my temp, decided not to test me again since it was so close to when I did it the eve prior. OK’d me and got aboard.  

All worked OK. Don’t know if that is how its done to all, but I was allowed to cruise. It would have been disaster. We’d set up 4 SRs for kids and grandkids and us, and I was envisioning watching my family sail away! But decided not to play the ‘just lie a bit’ on the health form and it all worked out.

Den

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

9 hours ago, colliercruiser said:

Just a hypothetical question which I hope will not occur for us...

We're on a B2B in October 2022, and I understand that Celebrity's policy is that if you test positive within 10 days of embarkation, you cannot board (makes sense) AND they refund 100% of the cruise fare.  In that case, what happens to the second cruise of the B2B?  Do they automatically cancel that one too and refund that cruise fare?  The second cruise is more than 10 days after the first cruise (i.e., each sailing is 12 nights), so theoretically one might be well out of the "COVID positive" window and able to cruise (with a negative test).  But not sure I will want to take the second cruise if the first one is canceled for us.

In your case you could get a COR depending on country restrictions and cruise on the second cruise.  The 2nd cruise would not be refunded.

You certainly could test again in 3 or 4 days and report a positive test for the second cruise as well.

Again all the rules are likely to change between now and October so a Magic 8 Ball would say - Ask again later.

12 hours ago, wrk2cruise said:

Celebrity treats B2B as 2 separate sailings.   As long as they were able to test negative prior to the second sailing or get a Certificate of Recovery accompanied by a documented positive test 11 days or more prior to the second sailing they should be good to go.

I would have to agree with one possible caveat.    For the second cruise when you answer the Questions of Have you tested positive or been in contact with a positive person in the past 10 days.    This will flag you for a medical evaluation at the pier that if have a negative test -   I assume you would be permitted to board but not heard of someone with this exact scenario.

While they are indeed 2 separate cruises -  i tested positive the last day of a B2B and was tossed off the ship and my next cruise was automatically cancelled.

I've pondered the same thing about our upcoming 12 night Greenland/Iceland.    I was originally thinking good odds if we tested positive we could fly to Iceland and pick up the 2nd cruise.

Things changed and we had a breakthrough mild case so waiting for the 11 days and getting COR's so should be covered regardless of what happens.   Cruise is still 19 days off so plenty of time to both test negative and have a COR as a backup

3 hours ago, Arizona Wildcat said:

In your case you could get a COR depending on country restrictions and cruise on the second cruise.  The 2nd cruise would not be refunded.

You certainly could test again in 3 or 4 days and report a positive test for the second cruise as well.

Again all the rules are likely to change between now and October so a Magic 8 Ball would say - Ask again later.

I think that would be dependent on when you booked -   I know our next set of cruises are covered under the cancel for any reason up to 48 hours.    I don't recall the booking cut off  and end date.

2 hours ago, Jim_Iain said:

<snip> Things changed and we had a breakthrough mild case so waiting for the 11 days and getting COR's so should be covered regardless of what happens.   Cruise is still 19 days off so plenty of time to both test negative and have a COR as a backup

Jim - so sorry to hear this. Hope all goes smoothly so you can board as planned.

9 hours ago, Jim_Iain said:

I think that would be dependent on when you booked -   I know our next set of cruises are covered under the cancel for any reason up to 48 hours.    I don't recall the booking cut off  and end date.

The policy I was originally referring to is shown below and covers sailings thru Nov 30, 2022.

Covid-19 Assistance

Book any Celebrity Cruise that’s sailing between now and November 30, 2022, and you’ll have the following reassurance at no extra charge:

• 100% cruise fare refund for you, and your Traveling Party, if any of you tests positive for COVID-19 within 10 days prior to the cruise or at the boarding terminal.**
  • Pro-rated cruise fare refund for anyone who has their cruise cut short due to testing positive for COVID-19 or being suspected of having COVID-19 during the cruise.

On 7/19/2022 at 9:05 PM, MarKay525 said:

Jim - so sorry to hear this. Hope all goes smoothly so you can board as planned.

I should be covered both ways.    I was negative today but getting the COR anyway just in case.