Fans? Especially for an Alaska cruise?

Much to my surprise I see that lots of people recommend taking a fan with you, specifically on Alaska cruises. I can understand that on a warm, humid Caribbean cruise. How many of you take fans with you on an Alaska cruise (or wish you had)? Thanks! 

5 minutes ago, 1025cruise said:

I personally don't, but I know there are people that prefer to have air flowing over them while sleeping, or need the noise.

That's us.  We're quite spoiled by having a nice fan over our bed at home, and we would definitely miss it, if we didn't take one with us. 

Fans are  seen being carried by passengers arriving for their Alaska cruise from Pier 91.  While mostly small table top fans are brought onboard, at least one 20 inch box fan was sighted, although not sure if it made it thru security.  Also not sure if the fans are actually taken home after the cruise, or just left behind.

• Haha 1

We sleep under a fan at home, but it would never occur to me to take anything like that.  The ship's AC, which we don't have at home, feels like moving air to me.

Please be aware that leaving balcony doors open should not be done, as that will affect the AC in a number of other cabins.

I have a five inch USB/battery operated fan that goes on every cruise with us.  It folds down flat and is easy to pack.  I had it with us on our Alaska cruise in May and wish I had kept it for my quarantine hotel after the cruise but had sent it home with my DH.  I like air movement and this two speed fan does a great job.  It is an older model O2Cool fan that cost $10 years ago.  You can get the newer model, now square not round, on Amazon or Walmart.

• Like 1

It's not about cooling you per se, it's about the gentle breeze and the white noise.  The phone apps or special gizmos that mimic white noise don't work for me, believe me, I tried!!