Say no to the Twizy while in Bermuda

wags1913

While in Bermuda, this past June, we opted for a Twizy, the small electric car vs our standard Moped. To us it was not worth the extra money or the time. First, the Twizy is so compact it is very hard to get in or out of the car even for the driver. We expected this for the passenger but not so for the driver, we were really wrong. There is no room for packages or bags if you go shopping, we literally sat with our backpacks on our lap, there was just no room anywhere for it. Second, the car is received with a charge of 86-87% charge and you are told to not let it get below 72% charged. Which means we went from the Dockyard to the Swizzle Inn and needed to recharge the car, this took at least 2.5 hours to get to roughly 83%. While this gives you a lot of time to explore, the charging stations are few and far between. We charged at the Oleander Bike shop near the causeway, had lunch at the Swizzle Inn and wandered around the park area. Third, the car is slow. Mind you the driving speed in Bermuda is about 35-40 miles per hour, the Twizy will not go any higher than 40 mph but in reality it is not going even that speed. I understand the reasons there are no rental cars on Bermuda and due to the compactness, charging time, and lack of charging stations, maybe Bermuda should reconsider using the Twizys as well. Just my opinion.

That's too bad they didn't work for you in Bermuda.  My sister and I rented one on our Eclipse Norway cruise in Geiranger a few years ago and loved it.  We buzzed around for about five hours without having any problems with the charging, and it had a nice tour on a screen to follow if we wanted to.  I wonder if not getting below 72% is more for their convenience than something that's really necessary?  

Personally I would not drive in Bermuda in the mini electric cars or on a moped but there are a couple of other mini electric car options that are side by side seating unlike the Twizy. As far as Bermuda reconsidering the Twizy the private companies are picking the car. They have to be electric and two seaters but they don’t have to be Twizys. The company that rents the Twizy also rents another type of car and there are two other rental companies that rent different vehicles. Thanks for your report. It is good information. 

Edited by Charles4515

We had a blast in our Twizy in Bermuda! In fall 2017, we needed to pick it up at the Hamilton Princess Hotel, which was a bit of a hassle and extra expense, but we shared the cab with a fun couple from our roll call who had discovered Twizy. DH and I are septuagenerians and laughed aloud at my gyrations getting in the back of the vehicle. Drove all the way to St. George and back, charging it while at lunch. Caught the last ferry back to King's Wharf.

I had never heard of a Twizy before this thread. Thanks for posting. I looked it up and the Twizy looks like fun. There is also another electric car, the Tazzari which looks a bit bigger and has larger range. I won't win any F1 race in either but they look like fun options to get around the island. 

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, DirtyDawg said:

I had never heard of a Twizy before this thread. Thanks for posting. I looked it up and the Twizy looks like fun. There is also another electric car, the Tazzari which looks a bit bigger and has larger range. I won't win any F1 race in either but they look like fun options to get around the island. 

They generally get positive reviews. This is the only negative one I recall reading but it contains a lot of info. I won’t rent one because I would rather not drive in Bermuda. Too much traffic congestion and they drive on the other side. I prefer having someone else drive. I don’t mind using taxis. 

Edited by Charles4515

Different strokes I guess.  DW and I rented a Twizy in Bermuda and enjoyed it.  True it is hard to get in and out of for some people - there is no room for packages etc. - and no air conditioning, but if you just want to explore it's a blast.  Was never told anything about a 72% limit on the battery and we sure ran it much lower without issue.  That said.... it's certainly not for everyone.  Just as I enjoyed it, I can easily see how others would hate it.   

We loved our Twizy we rented in 2019. Last week we used ferry to get around but was going to rent the side by side car. Decided against it THIS time. We love to visit Bermuda and have been many times..

If it was a hot day, we made sure not to get car till we were organized since u will feel the heat till you get moving. I was an officially allowed backseat driver, reminding him to stay on left as we went tru turns. 

WE were able to get to Art Mels for a fish sandwich cause we had our own wheels. We went around St. George and stopped at Clearwater Beach. Battery was not any issue. I do appreciate you can now pick u a vehicle at the dockyard as we had to go into Hamilton...my travel backpack fit, but its not like anything we buy takes u THAT much room. if it was clothing- you could always sit on it!!!

I had broken my ankle that January & hubby got a new hip the month prior and we were pretty limber enough to get in and out easily. I had my husband record my ease of entry as I was quite proud of myself...

I do wish we had rented this trip, but we always enjoy ourselves.....and we did shop and did our part to boost the local economy...

Bernadette

• 4 weeks later...
29 minutes ago, MILLERVILE said:

what does it cost to to rent one of these cars?  is it for 2?  can 2 kid and 1 one small adult ride in it?

can we park them at the beach?

There are only  two seaters for rent and only two people are allowed to ride in any of the rental mini electric vehicles. So no to 2 kids and one adult. I believe it comes out to $120 ia day for the Twizy. Some of the others cost more.  There are several companies renting vehicles. Some are front and back others are side by side but only two seaters. There is parking at beaches.

https://www.currentvehicles.com

https://bermudarentalcar.com

Edited by Charles4515
  • Like 1