Using OBC before you board

jtslattery

9 minutes ago, toseaornottosea said:

All you have to do is go to Seabourn Square and they will take care of it for you.

It is just one more thing to keep track of, to make sure the refund happens, and is credited properly (usually yes, in my experience and that of others, sometimes no, and  then you have more headache fixing the error if that happens)

We like to take some ship excursions (and use our loyalty % discount option on the excursions), even though SB's are not the best priced or the best organized compared with other luxury lines. Having  to prepay for them months ahead of time, when you're not sure they'll even run or even if the cruise will run, or that you'll still be using that credit card, is not my favorite part of SB, though it is minor. 

The other luxury lines do not have this odd prepay system and I prefer to pay closer to time of the event to track things more easily, since I also deal with other lines and do many excursions (we typically cruise not just to sit on the ship, but for the ports).

But SB has other good things, (at least they did so far) and SB Square customer service is a highlight:  being able to sit down in a civilized manner and be comfortable when dealing with various service issues, instead of standing while someone behind you breathes down your neck at reception on other lines, is wonderful for those of us with muscular problems where prolonged standing is uncomfortable.  However, staffing needs to be maintained at the desks, otherwise you land up standing waiting for a desk to open.

• Thanks 1

We really do enjoy Seabourn, but this is one area they need to improve. 
On Regent we can book shore excursions (the ones that are not included in the fare) 270 days out using our OBC. It makes everything so much easier. You know you have the tours you want, usually small group or specialty experiences, and you never see it on your credit card/have to credit and rebook etc. 

2 hours ago, adolfo2 said:

Yes!  I don't understand the logic of paying w/CC then rolling it back w/OBC at embarkation.

Sounds like lots of additional work along w/possibility of a screw-up!

I suspect the "logic" is they get the use of your money for a period of time.  Plus, if passengers have to pay up-front, there is less likelihood of people booking excursions they may not actually end up taking.  So it makes managing excursions spaces more reliable.

Also, it doesn't get credited to your credit card immediately. It is credited to your onboard account. Perhaps they think you will spend it at the spa, wine upgrade, the boutique - or more reasonably, on another shorex.

• Like 2

Its ok if you are from USA. Being from UK my card card is charged in £sterling,  converts to US$ and charges a fee. Refund loses on exchange rate. Just about to travel with Celebrity. Booked trips and OBC used. Much easier.

2 hours ago, jtslattery said:

Thanks for the helpful advice. At this late date I will just wait till boarding.

The only issue is if the excursion you want fills up before the ship sails.  It does happen on some excursions, so if it's something that you really, really don't want to miss out on, go ahead and book in advance.

• Thanks 1