Has anyone Contracted Covid on a Cruise in the last 2 weeks? Treatments?

D. B.

I am asking because my TA wants to know if guests on Any Cruise have been offered Paxlovid or Remdesivir treatment?

I'm sure a lot of us would like to know.

From what I have read on boards it seems most cases are treated with Over the counter Meds. that treat the Symptoms of Covid.

I will be on a 14 day Alaska Cruise in late August myself.

Any answers to this question would be helpful.

I suggest you do some reading on the boards here for the major cruise lines.  There are usually threads from people who tested positive onboard, or after returning home.  Not every cruise line stocks the anti-virals.  EM

11 minutes ago, D. B. said:

I was just curious to know if Any Cruise Line has been offering them to those guests who have been quarantined onboard?

Tne medicines you mentioned should only be prescribed for  the most serious cases. They would  only be  presrcribed if the medical team on board have a patient's full medical history,  and there is absolutely no way that the patient  can be treated ashore.  

Thats what I was thinking but my TA ask me to find out. He must have clients who are asking Him?

I also think cruise lines would not want to open that can of worms and the possibility of ambulance chaser lawyers looking for deep pocket cruise lines to come after if anything went wrong.

5 hours ago, Billish said:

Tne medicines you mentioned should only be prescribed for  the most serious cases. They would  only be  presrcribed if the medical team on board have a patient's full medical history,  and there is absolutely no way that the patient  can be treated ashore.  

This is no longer the case.  Paxlovid is now being routinely prescribed for certain high risk folks including those of us over 65!  While there are some underlying medical conditions that might make the use of this drug unacceptable, for most seniors (and younger folks with various risks) it is becoming very common.  In fact, the FDA recently has given unprecedented approval for pharmacists to dispense Paxlovid without a prescription to those who meet the high risk catagories specifed (including age).  The FDA has done this because they believe this drug is so important that many folks, who cannot quickly access a physician, should be able to get the drug.

Expecting cruise ships to stock this drug (and a few other therapeutics) is not only reasonable but would now fall under what is known as "standards of medical care."   The use of Paxlovid would have little to do with being treated ashore.  Consider that on our recent Seabourn cruise the first 9 days were days at sea and we had many COVID cases aboard.   There are also many cruises that do not go to ports with very good healthcare facilities or are at ports in parts of the world where drugs like Paxlovid are not available.

Hank

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Hlitner said:

In fact, the FDA recently has given unprecedented approval for pharmacists to dispense Paxlovid without a prescription to those who meet the high risk catagories specifed (including age).

Yes, but.

The FDA is clear that any pharmacist seeking to prescribe paxlovid is REQUIRED to review the appropriate medical records including:

• Electronic or printed health records less than 12 months old, including the most recent reports of laboratory blood work for the state-licensed pharmacist to review for kidney or liver problems. State-licensed pharmacists could also receive this information through a consult with the patient’s health care provider.
  • A list of all medications they are taking, including over-the-counter medications so the state-licensed pharmacist can screen for drugs with potentially serious interactions with Paxlovid.

If the pharmacist is not provided with sufficient records to make these determinations, they are not to dispense paxlovid but should refer the patient to a medical doctor or other entity licensed to prescribe.

I find it highly amusing that so many of the same people who cited the COVID vaccine's approval under an EUA as a reason to refuse the vaccine are lining up to take a drug approved under an EUA for treatment of COVID.

This is not an OTC drug; it can have serious adverse effects and it should not be given out like candy unless there are verifiable indications that a patient with COVID is experiencing a severe disease course.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, cruisemom42 said:

Yes, but.

The FDA is clear that any pharmacist seeking to prescribe paxlovid is REQUIRED to review the appropriate medical records including:

• Electronic or printed health records less than 12 months old, including the most recent reports of laboratory blood work for the state-licensed pharmacist to review for kidney or liver problems. State-licensed pharmacists could also receive this information through a consult with the patient’s health care provider.
  • A list of all medications they are taking, including over-the-counter medications so the state-licensed pharmacist can screen for drugs with potentially serious interactions with Paxlovid.

If the pharmacist is not provided with sufficient records to make these determinations, they are not to dispense paxlovid but should refer the patient to a medical doctor or other entity licensed to prescribe.

I find it highly amusing that so many of the same people who cited the COVID vaccine's approval under an EUA as a reason to refuse the vaccine are lining up to take a drug approved under an EUA for treatment of COVID.

This is not an OTC drug; it can have serious adverse effects and it should not be given out like candy unless there are verifiable indications that a patient with COVID is experiencing a severe disease course.

I completely agree with much of what you say.  But the medical professionals on a cruise ship are well qualified to make a determination if therapeutics (including Paxlovid) are appropriate.  But that is only an option if the drug is available on the vessel.  Since Paxlovid needs to be started early in the disease process, and there are no other comparable treatments other than Remdesivir (also good to have this on a ship), than it is reasonable for passengers to want advance knowledge of this drug is available if needed.    

But the fact remains that Paxlovid is now being routinely given to high risk folks (including many seniors) long before there is any sign of a "severe disease course."   I believe the key to many antivirals is to get it in the patient before the disease has the time to progress to a more serious stage.  It was hard not to notice that President Biden was started on Paxlovid almost immediately after he tested positive (with what his physician described as mild symptoms).  The CDC recommends that this drug be used for those with "mild to moderate COVID-19 who are at high risk of disease progression who are at high risk of disease progression."    We old folks are all consider at "high risk" of disease progression.

Personally, I would want this drug prescribed by my own physician.  But, when on a cruise ship, if we become ill, we must rely on the medical staff onboard.  I cannot think of a single argument against the ship's medical center having immediate access to Paxlovid.

Hank

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

16 hours ago, D. B. said:

I am asking because my TA wants to know if guests on Any Cruise have been offered Paxlovid or Remdesivir treatment?

I'm sure a lot of us would like to know.

From what I have read on boards it seems most cases are treated with Over the counter Meds. that treat the Symptoms of Covid.

I will be on a 14 day Alaska Cruise in late August myself.

Any answers to this question would be helpful.

Two CC members were offered Paxlovid after they tested positive - one about 3 weeks ago, the other about 2 1/2 months ago.  Neither of them accepted their ship's offer.  Both, interestingly, were on Princess ships.  Here are the posts and threads with their details:

• Like 1

7 hours ago, cruisemom42 said:

Yes, but.

Yes, but the ship has a medical doctor; not just a pharmacist on it. And a medical doctor can prescribe it. Unless you are suggesting that no prescription drugs are stocked or administered on a cruise, Paxlovid doesn't seem out of the range. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, sanger727 said:

Yes, but the ship has a medical doctor; not just a pharmacist on it. And a medical doctor can prescribe it. Unless you are suggesting that no prescription drugs are stocked or administered on a cruise, Paxlovid doesn't seem out of the range. 

As I thought would be evident by the very targeted snip I made of Hank's post, I was only addressing the issue of pharmacists prescribing paxlovid. 

23 minutes ago, D. B. said:

only Honolulu Blue answered my question.

Thank you.

I was not intending to start a discussion on Paxlovid. Just ask  if it was Available and/or offered.

You could have searched and found the same results. People are free to discuss context because it's very important. 

20 hours ago, cruisemom42 said:

I find it highly amusing that so many of the same people who cited the COVID vaccine's approval under an EUA as a reason to refuse the vaccine are lining up to take a drug approved under an EUA for treatment of COVID

I have the same amusement that the same people want the monoclonal antibodies made from… generically engineered humanized mice. 

• Like 1