Any Reykjavik tours offered at the pier?

Maligator

Some ports have tour operators right off the pier. Not the taxi drivers who offer to give you the nickel tour, but all day tours that range out for several hours. Our Reykjavik tour was unexpectedly derailed and we're scrambling to find something. TripAdvisor has a bunch, but their pick-up times are predominantly 7-9am and our ship doesn't dock til 10.

Thanks

Iceland guided tours have their tours tailor made to the arrival of the cruise ships, you might want to have a look at them. We did the golden circle with them which was excellent, they also offer a discount if you book a combination with other ports. 
The HOPONHOPOFF is also at the port and there was one bus showing a private tour but I have no details of that one.

Happy planning

Rosalyn

• Like 1

We were there in the last month, and I agree there were no tour companies at the pier.   However, I would  be surprised if you couldn't get a local tour company to re-view their tour times based on the ships arrival.  I assume you are not the only one on the derailed tour, so there could be others asking the tour companies the same question.   We went with SAGA tours.

Edited by CCJack

2 hours ago, CCJack said:

We were there in the last month, and I agree there were no tour companies at the pier.   However, I would  be surprised if you couldn't get a local tour company to re-view their tour times based on the ships arrival.  I assume you are not the only one on the derailed tour, so there could be others asking the tour companies the same question.   We went with SAGA tours.

I'd booked a flightseeing tour with a local pilot in his Cessna, but he was killed (along with his three passengers) in a crash last winter. I didn't find out until last week. 

None of the tour operators I've contacted have flexed at all on times, or have recommended other tours not even remotely close to what I wanted. So we ended up booking one through Celebrity that will probably end up being operated by one of the companies I contacted. 

I've already decided I'm going to do a non-cruise photo expedition for all the things I have to miss on this trip. It's not like I'd be able to see it all, anyway.

Thanks for the advice

• 5 weeks later...
2 hours ago, Maligator said:

We've been back a couple of weeks and I can confirm there isn't much around the pier. There's the standard Iceland store with souvenirs. Maybe a HOHO bus stop, but I didn't see it.

The parking lot is a bus flow system. The Hop on Hop off stops at the front of the buildings once the main surge of buses for ship's excursions clear out.

There is a combination store and tourist information center at the pier.   They were able to give out a phone number to call for a taxi, allowing us to get to Sky Lagoon easily, however we already made an online reservation.  They appear to have a lot of tourist information, but I would not rely on having anything like you want available on the spot.  

You don't have to book through the cruise line.    As Cruise Critic frowns on any direct mention of a specific company (makes sense, otherwise you don't know if someone is using the site for advertising and only posing as a neutral advisor) I suggest a web search for Reykjavik tours from pier or port.

• 3 weeks later...

I had absolutely no luck booking any private tours that could accommodate the ship's port schedule (2 p.m. arrival with a departure the following day at 5:00 p.m.). I ended up booking a ship tour on day one and the hop-on/hop-off bus the next day.

The ho/ho bus was a colossal waste of money. They were supposed to be operating every 15-20 minutes and clearly the drivers never got that memo. We waited 30 minutes at the port before the bus showed up. It took us as far as the church (stop #9), where we got off with the grand plan to walk back to bus stop #7, doing a bit of shopping ... then catch the bus to do the rest of the circuit. We reached stop #7 shortly before 3:00. And we waited. Then waited some more. By 3:30 it was clear doing the rest of the circuit was going to be cutting things too close, so we called a taxi. When the taxi picked us up at 3:40, there was still no sign of the bus.

• 3 months later...

I am wanting information about this port too. we are there from 7 am to 5 pm and I can not find any Golden Circle Tours which leave in the early morning to get back in time. What self guided things can we do ? Not really interested in Blue Lagoon. I am super frustrated.