Visas and health records help please

chrism23

Hi 

We are on the Silver Moon from Lima to Rio for 31 days departing 1/22/23.  Its 2 segments of what they first called a Grand Voyage.  No stops for more than 1 day.  But it stops in too many countries to mention.  Will there be any required showing of health records or visas as of this moment knowing that its far away.  

thanks 

chris m

Looks like you are hitting 5 South American countries plus the Falkland Islands.

You can start by reviewing US Dept. of State---travel.state.gov.

Go to 'International Travel' tab and then click 'Country information'.

You will get the basics regarding how long your passport needs to be valid, visa requirements, vaccination requirements and travel advisory levels. 

You need to make sure you are following closely, as things can change quickly. I know Chile and Argentina refused to allow many ships into some ports during the Omicron surge. 

Take some time to read some Roll Call threads for previous cruises in South America on Silversea. 

1 hour ago, broker1217 said:

Looks like you are hitting 5 South American countries plus the Falkland Islands.

You can start by reviewing US Dept. of State---travel.state.gov.

Go to 'International Travel' tab and then click 'Country information'.

You will get the basics regarding how long your passport needs to be valid, visa requirements, vaccination requirements and travel advisory levels. 

You need to make sure you are following closely, as things can change quickly. I know Chile and Argentina refused to allow many ships into some ports during the Omicron surge. 

Take some time to read some Roll Call threads for previous cruises in South America on Silversea. 

Which ships did Argentina refuse during "Omicron surge"??? I was in Argentina from end of February this year until July 4th, and heard nor saw anything about this......

How do you know this??

55 minutes ago, kimanjo said:

Which ships did Argentina refuse during "Omicron surge"??? I was in Argentina from end of February this year until July 4th, and heard nor saw anything about this......

How do you know this??

Moon on the Grand Voyage around South America.

Edited by Silver Spectre

Let me research. We sailed on Viking in February and I was following some  Roll Calls in January. I k ow Viking had problems in SA.

I will post links later—not trying to be a scare monger or to generalize. I just remember that Chile and Argentina reacted swiftly and strongly.

1 hour ago, Silver Spectre said:

Moon on the Grand Voyage around South America.

When was that??  Delta was in the early part of 2022, Omicron is now.   So, from Feb 2022 til now was the Moon denied entry? I thought South American sailings were from Nov-March-ish.

Call me confused.

Our Antarctica cruise was to disembark in Buenos Aires in March of 2022 and they would not let the cruise ship in, so we disembarked in Montevideo and SS flew us to Buenos Aires.  It made not sense if they allowed air travel and not cruise travel, but that was what occured.

Thanks for all the insight.  Right now I have decided this is too damn complicated.  This cruise is not scheduled until January 2023. 6 months away.  6 months ago Omicron BA-5 now the dominant strain of the virus did not exist.  God knows what 2023 will bring.  I noticed this morning that Biden was reinfected, tested positive again and must be back in isolation.  BA-5 in addition to being the most virulent of all the strains so far also has the remarkable ability to bounce back.  

I leave in 10 days for Iceland for the Silver Cloud Reykjavik to Dublin cruise.  In just 10 days I have no idea what the situations will be in both Iceland, Scotland and Ireland.  For me, that is a stark indictor of where we are, where the cruise industry, hell, where the world is right now.  We are in a state of constant change and flux.  

I am vaxxed and boosted twice.  There supposedly is a third booster coming out in September that specifically targets Omicron.  But until then that is the best I can do.

I have no idea what the masking policy is going to be on the Silver Cloud.  The same with excursions nearly all of which, this is an expedition cruise, require outdoor physical activity, some of which will be demanding.  I don't see taking a 4 mile hike up a steep grade with a mask on.  

Usually when I cruise, this is my 8th with SS, I do a lot of research before hand.  But with this, since I don't know what the hell is going to go on, I'll just show up and see what happens.  This is perhaps not prudent but I haven't been to sea and I have gotta to dive back in at some point.  

I feel your pain I really do. We have just returned home after sailing on the Spirit after almost two years away. Totally different atmosphere, almost no one wore masks, or at least very few, we both did until the last two days, typical, I get Covid after leaving the ship, let my guard down my fault!

Masks:  Very touchy subject with passengers, some say yes wearing masks cut down the chance of infection, others couldn't care less. It was mandatory on the tender however, at least three passengers took theirs off saying, " stupid mask, not wearing it" The crew did not enforce the rule.

You only have to read passengers in isolation how difficult life is on board, not my idea of a luxury cruise.  I have had 4 jabs, very uncomfortable Covid experience, would not wish it on anybody, taken me four weeks to get over it!

You are right, we have to return to cruising some time, our next cruise is in October, lets hope things begin to improve by then, I think its with us for years to come I really do, we just have to cope with it and get on with it I guess? 

Not sure I would wear a mask outside, just keep to socially distancing.

Have a great cruise, take care.

• Like 1