Hi folks looking at a transatlantic cruise and trying to persuade my other half its a great idea lol but she’s not convinced that it won’t be a rough crossing from Barcelona to Florida.

If anyone has done this voyage in Oct/Nov I’d like to hear their reviews please.

thank you

44 minutes ago, soloadventurer said:

Hi folks looking at a transatlantic cruise and trying to persuade my other half its a great idea lol but she’s not convinced that it won’t be a rough crossing from Barcelona to Florida.

If anyone has done this voyage in Oct/Nov I’d like to hear their reviews please.

thank you

We cruised from Barcelona to Miami in November of 2018 and the seas were very smooth. Of course we have also cruised in the Caribbean in the spring and had some serious wave action. I think that you should be prepared for the possibility of rough seas but hope you don’t have them….which is what we do for every cruise!

• Like 2

We have done that itinerary. Veranda on the Port (Left) side much sunnier of course. Brisk between Spain and Madeira but no storms. Pleasantly warm to Florida. Our ship had retractable Pool roof. 

• Thanks 1

I love coming across the ocean from Europe.  On my last Southern TA it got warmer every day. 

I also like gaining or losing an hour (I forgot which) every day so when I got off the ship I was on USA time.

Can't wait to do it again this December.

On 8/7/2022 at 8:22 AM, Ex-Airbalancer said:

On our October 2019 Westbound TA  it was so hot everyone was looking for shade 

🤣🤣I have heard Canadians complain when it gets over 85F as they did on my spring cruise. 

1 hour ago, Mary229 said:

🤣🤣I have heard Canadians complain when it gets over 85F as they did on my spring cruise. 

yeah & the Texans complain when it gets below 65F 😄

I have family in  w Texas  & Houston area    they cannot take the nice  temps  & let's not mention that 4 letter word   s**w  LOL

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, Mary229 said:

On the West Coast we consider 85F/30C is comfortable, we start complaining when it hits 104F/40C and really didn't enjoy the 118F/48C we experienced last summer.😁

33 minutes ago, LHT28 said:

yeah & the Texans complain when it gets below 65F 😄

I have family in  w Texas  & Houston area    they cannot take the nice  temps  & let's not mention that 4 letter word   s**w  LOL

You are right.  I almost “died” at Logan Airport in Boston.  The air conditioning was set to below 65 and I was freezing.  

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Heidi13 said:

On the West Coast we consider 85F/30C is comfortable, we start complaining when it hits 104F/40C and really didn't enjoy the 118F/48C we experienced last summer.😁

It is not heat but the humidity that is a killer  

we live by Lake Ontario , it sunny with 76% humidity 🥵

It is 81°F but feels like 99°

83A44B09-60E3-413B-B74D-042D97C83C35.jpeg

1 hour ago, Ex-Airbalancer said:

Thanks, I concur as having always lived within a few miles of an ocean, and spent 40+ years at sea, I know a little about the effects of humidity. In the Persian Gulf we experienced > 50C with 100% R/Humidity.

4 hours ago, Ex-Airbalancer said:

83A44B09-60E3-413B-B74D-042D97C83C35.jpeg

Pretty muggy in most of southern Ontario these days 

Thank goodness for A/C 😉

Just now, Ex-Airbalancer said:

At one point today it was 91% and sunny , no rain yet today 

It may be on the way

we are closer to Lake Erie  just had a thunderstorm roll through not long ago

23C now 😉

showing 94% humidity n😲

13 hours ago, grandmacani said:

We’ve done2 transatlantic cruises. One ,last port New Orleans. Once  into New York Both were Oct/Nov cruises.  I worried about the what if too. Glad to sa both smooth sailing 

Who did you sail with?

• 2 months later...

We were on the maiden Rotterdam cruise from Amsterdam to Fort Lauderdale last October/November. 

Had weather delay leaving Amsterdam due to weather and missed a stop in Belgium.  Also, missed Porta Delgado due to the weather.

No issues with the crossing though...Seas were not a bother. 

It's a crap shoot regarding weather.....it's always changing.  

Go.  We love TA's. Done 3 and want to do more. 

We are already booked on the HAL in Nov 2023 (Barcelona to FLL), so I am interested in what the weather will be like.  It was fairly easy to convince my husband as he prefers sea days to port days -- he's into the relaxation aspect of cruising while I like the visits to ports.

On 10/23/2022 at 9:00 AM, Shalandara said:

We are already booked on the HAL in Nov 2023 (Barcelona to FLL), so I am interested in what the weather will be like.  It was fairly easy to convince my husband as he prefers sea days to port days -- he's into the relaxation aspect of cruising while I like the visits to ports.

.  Hmmmm and I was wondering what the weather will be like in Virginia at that same time :).  But seriously, that is a very strange time of the year for weather.   We have done a few crossings that time of the year and had everything from balmy nice weather (including 70s F in Barcelona) to nasty, rainy, windy weather.  The advice you will get from all experienced cruisers is to have layers so you can deal with just about anything.    We are in your husbands camp in that both DW and I love our sea days.  Our most recent crossing (March) had 9 sea days in a row and it was wonderful :).

Hank

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

We just did the Wonder TA from Barcelona to Port Canaveral from 10/30-11/13.  It was warm (mid 70s) in Barcelona pre-cruise, but they were having a "heat wave" due to some warm air from Africa.  Looking over the Cruise Compasses, here were our temps during the TA:

10/30:  Barcelona 68

10/31:  Palma de Mallorca 72

11/01:  Valencia 70

11/02:  Cartagena 72

11/03:  Malaga 68

11/04:  At Sea 71

11/05:  At Sea 71

11/06:  At Sea 70

11/07:  At Sea 73

11/08:  At Sea 75

11/09:  At Sea 75

11/10:  At Sea 79

11/11:  At Sea 77

11/12:  Nassau 81

11/13:  Port Canaveral 79

We had smooth seas when we were in the Mediterranean with a little rocking, but not bad.  Once we entered the Atlantic our first day was a bit bumpy.  Then we smoothed out until about midway across.  By then we were following Hurricane Nicole.  We had one day with quite a bit of rocking, but nothing horrible.  Then it smoothed out and we were fine the rest of the way.  

I've had worse rocking in Skagway, Alaska as a stormfront was moving into the area and when we left Port Canaveral in 2004 as Hurricane Jeanne was arriving.  In both of those instances everyone was hugging the walls to walk down the corridors.  We had nothing at all like that during the Wonder WB TA.

I'm almost ready to start posting my Wonder TA vlog on YouTube.  I'm finishing up our pre-cruise excursions in Barcelona right now.  I have 2 more vlogs to do for Barcelona and then I will start on the Wonder TA itself.  If you're interested, my channel is TheEmptyArmchair.  

I also posted the Cruise Compasses at Issuu in case you want to get an idea of what to expect during a westbound transatlantic.  You can find them here:  https://issuu.com/theemptyarmchair/docs/wots

• Like 2