Question about upgrading from the old £30 price Princess Plus to Princess Premium

billsat

Hi Everyone

I have an upcoming Princess cruise this November which I booked last year to include the Princess Plus Package,this at the time of booking was an additional £30 pp. I see that Princess have now added an additional package called Princess Premium. On their website they say " already booked Princess Plus.. Upgrade to Premium for an additional £20 a day pp "
I asked my TA to upgrade me and they came back saying I have to pay £30 a day not £20 !
 Has anyone here managed to upgrade for only £20 a day based on their existing booking was made before the Princess Plus price increase?

The website to the best of my knowledge doesn`t mention that you only pay £20 extra if you had booked the Princess Plus at the new £40 a day price !

Thank you in advance

Hi. I just upgraded from Princess Plus to Princess Premium, and was only charged the difference as reflected on the website. The final price was slightly higher, but not 30% higher. I assume the extra cost was added because I have Princess Platinum coverage. Princess also suggested that I could upgrade once on board, but I’m not sure how that would work. You might try calling back and seeing if it goes better for you this time. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mackenzie1 said:

Hi. I just upgraded from Princess Plus to Princess Premium, and was only charged the difference as reflected on the website. The final price was slightly higher, but not 30% higher. I assume the extra cost was added because I have Princess Platinum coverage. Princess also suggested that I could upgrade once on board, but I’m not sure how that would work. You might try calling back and seeing if it goes better for you this time. 

We are also thinking about upgrading from the Plus to the Premier. We have tons of OBC for our next trip, any chance you know whether, if we wait until we board, we can use our OBC to pay for the upgrade?

Thank you everyone for your feedback.

I did try Princess Customer Services again and was told that I have to pay £30 a day extra as my Princess Plus only cost £30 when I booked the cruise last year. I did point it out that Princess should put in their FAQ that "the £20 upgrade to premium" only applies to bookings made where the Plus price was at the new rate of £40 a day. 

Customer services did confirm that if I want a drink which is more than the $12 US limit on my Plus package, then I only have to pay the difference + the 18% gratuities. I mentioned that some web sites say that Princess are scrapping this "pay only the difference" but instead you have to pay 100% for the more expensive drink. Their reply was "don`t believe everything you read online " !!  

I suppose I will have to see what happens when I get onboard !!

Thank you once again 

This is strange since Plus price also increased with the addition of Premiere but pax who had purchased Plus already were grandfathered at original Plus price/ By that logic you would think they would only charge the difference between current Plus and Premiere.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, billsat said:

Thank you everyone for your feedback.

I did try Princess Customer Services again and was told that I have to pay £30 a day extra as my Princess Plus only cost £30 when I booked the cruise last year. I did point it out that Princess should put in their FAQ that "the £20 upgrade to premium" only applies to bookings made where the Plus price was at the new rate of £40 a day. 

Customer services did confirm that if I want a drink which is more than the $12 US limit on my Plus package, then I only have to pay the difference + the 18% gratuities. I mentioned that some web sites say that Princess are scrapping this "pay only the difference" but instead you have to pay 100% for the more expensive drink. Their reply was "don`t believe everything you read online " !!  

I suppose I will have to see what happens when I get onboard !!

Thank you once again 

Your GBP amounts are not converting nicely for me to USD using today's rate and IDK when you booked, etc.  I do agree that when PCL launched Premier Fare Class at + $75 over Standard and re-priced Plus Fare Class to + $50 over Standard, they did say anyone who was already booked on PLUS (presumably at +$40 over Saver/Standard) could upgrade to Premier for only $25 and not $35.

What I do not recall is if there was a time limit on that.  I also don't know if UK market was given the same offer.  I would try and find the initial Princess roll-out info, including their marketing seminar to TA's.  I wouldn't be giving up just yet, but I would at least figure out if there was only a limited time to take PCL up on the offer.

Edited by Steelers36

I hope this may be helpful. Attached is the link to the current 2022  Princess drinks price list. Almost all of the drinks are within the $12 Plus limit. If you  are buying the premiere package for the drinks alone then I expect it is because you are a connoisseur and enjoy really fine wines and spirits. If, like me, you are not sophisticated in your drinking habits then to me  it’s not really worth it. 

https://profcruise.com/princess-bar-and-drink-menus-2022/

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Alcairns said:

I hope this may be helpful. Attached is the link to the current 2022  Princess drinks price list. Almost all of the drinks are within the $12 Plus limit. If you  are buying the premiere package for the drinks alone then I expect it is because you are a connoisseur and enjoy really fine wines and spirits. If, like me, you are not sophisticated in your drinking habits then to me  it’s not really worth it. 

Thanks for posting the drink menus 👍. I’ve looked through and can’t see a Malbec listed in the Plus package. Does anyone know if there is one? 

30 minutes ago, villauk said:

Thanks for posting the drink menus 👍. I’ve looked through and can’t see a Malbec listed in the Plus package. Does anyone know if there is one? 

I found this in another site. https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/12whWAkXXP7K8Al6zWXT09134H-8PwZdr?fbclid=IwAR0oT5kdD8DHNbseXj1oGUfiZzJJnTaaQ7BuPpQn2w3wORZqBbVBHoxY1Ww  
Malbec available in MDR

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Alcairns said:

Unfortunately these menus will be out of date now. The premier package was introduced 25/6 and these menus are from May.  It might give an idea but the wine choices and prices in particular will be different now.  Have seen a couple of newer menus but I can’t find them now ! 

24 minutes ago, smilesonfaces said:

Unfortunately these menus will be out of date now. The premier package was introduced 25/6 and these menus are from May.  It might give an idea but the wine choices and prices in particular will be different now.  Have seen a couple of newer menus but I can’t find them now ! 

If you go to post 57 on page 3 you will get Crooners list from July. 

Edited by Alcairns
Clarification
  • Like 3

We were able to upgrade from the £30 Princess Plus to the Premier Package for £20 pppn. Took a while for our Agent to do it, but glad we did.
We are currently on The Enchanted and It is challenging to find availability of the Premium wines as a lot are out of stock, which is very frustrating. We are getting value in other areas though - premium malt whiskies, cocktails, Champagne in Bellinis etc. We have also won $250 in Princess Prizes so far and are also taking advantage of the Photographers.  Albeit a bit cheesy but the quality of the photos are really good. So overall it has worked for us. 

Edited by Suite Susie
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Suite Susie said:

We were able to upgrade from the £30 Princess Plus to the Premier Package for £20 pppn. Took a while for our Agent to do it, but glad we did.
We are currently on The Enchanted and It is challenging to find availability of the Premium wines as a lot are out of stock, which is very frustrating. We are getting value in other areas though - premium malt whiskies, cocktails, Champagne in Bellinis etc. We have also won $250 in Princess Prizes so far and are also taking advantage of the Photographers.  Albeit a bit cheesy but the quality of the photos are really good. So overall it has worked for us. 

We just did exactly the same thing, upgraded our packages to Premier for our next trip. It's quite discouraging that the "better" wines are in short supply, as that is where we would be looking to focus. When you say "...a lot", could you elaborate for us? Is it some, many, or most? Our next trip will also be on the Enchanted, on what I believe will be her first North American trip this September after returning from Europe, so I'm hoping that the ship will receive a large injection of wine and spirits when she's loaded just before our trip.  Thanks for any info....

• Like 1

Cloudy Bay isn’t available by the glass at all, but I know New Zealand had a bad year for the production of their Marlborough Sauvignon Blancs. The Dashwood Sauvignon Blanc is also not available. We are also struggling with Champagne - the Cattier Brut seems to be unavailable, but Bellinis are serving us Nicolas Feuilatte Champagne by the Glass, which is nice. Have tried to get a glass of Grgich Hills in the dining room, but that was not available, but haven’t tried anywhere else as we are not red wine drinkers. We seem to be able to get Whispering Angel, but again it is a bit hard to find. We are enjoying the Rob Floyd Cocktails in Bellinis Bar, which are all covered by the Premier Package and John is having a lot of McCallum Whisky at $18 per measure, again covered. I will try and find out a bit more about the wines for you. Are you more interested in the whites or reds?  

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Suite Susie said:

Cloudy Bay isn’t available by the glass at all, but I know New Zealand had a bad year for the production of their Marlborough Sauvignon Blancs. The Dashwood Sauvignon Blanc is also not available. We are also struggling with Champagne - the Cattier Brut seems to be unavailable, but Bellinis are serving us Nicolas Feuilatte Champagne by the Glass, which is nice. Have tried to get a glass of Grgich Hills in the dining room, but that was not available, but haven’t tried anywhere else as we are not red wine drinkers. We seem to be able to get Whispering Angel, but again it is a bit hard to find. We are enjoying the Rob Floyd Cocktails in Bellinis Bar, which are all covered by the Premier Package and John is having a lot of McCallum Whisky at $18 per measure, again covered. I will try and find out a bit more about the wines for you. Are you more interested in the whites or reds?  

Thanks for the detailed info.  Our concern would be for the (un) availability of white wines, my wife isn't able to drink much red wine, sadly.

• Like 1

On 7/29/2022 at 8:43 AM, lx200gps said:

We are also thinking about upgrading from the Plus to the Premier. We have tons of OBC for our next trip, any chance you know whether, if we wait until we board, we can use our OBC to pay for the upgrade?

That I do not know. Sorry!