Back-to-Back COVID Testing

Plan.B

We are looking at a back-back cruise for Montreal to Boston.  Do we require a COVID test in Boston for the return cruise to Montreal?  And, if the test is positive, are we stuck in Boston?

11 minutes ago, gdy0354 said:

Last month we went back-to-back Boston-Montreal. No covid testing after first leg.

That’s interesting! That seems to be inconsistent with what HA’s website says- that HA will test people on B2B and, if you or someone in your party tests positive, you would be unable to continue on the next leg. There is also some confusing language about HA covering costs for any quarantine or adjustment for flights. We’re concerned because we don’t want to be left in Fort Lauderdale for a second leg for Christmas week and in a scamble to find a hotel. There are currently no official quarantine rules, so who would be responsible? Making it more complex, we need an accessible hotel room, which makes last-minute solutioning more difficult.

I grew up in Fort Lauderdale, so I have a better than average understanding of local hotels and transportation.

1 hour ago, FOPMan said:

That’s interesting! That seems to be inconsistent with what HA’s website says- that HA will test people on B2B and, if you or someone in your party tests positive, you would be unable to continue on the next leg. There is also some confusing language about HA covering costs for any quarantine or adjustment for flights. We’re concerned because we don’t want to be left in Fort Lauderdale for a second leg for Christmas week and in a scamble to find a hotel. There are currently no official quarantine rules, so who would be responsible? Making it more complex, we need an accessible hotel room, which makes last-minute solutioning more difficult.

I grew up in Fort Lauderdale, so I have a better than average understanding of local hotels and transportation.

I would trust real world examples more than the outdated info on hals website on this matter.  Will it change next  week, next month, next year?  Who knows.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Florida_gal_50 said:

I would trust real world examples more than the outdated info on hals website on this matter.  Will it change next  week, next month, next year?  Who knows.

Yea,  but when push comes to shove, a printout of the HAL website is a lot more official than a screenshot of a passenger forum.

2 hours ago, FOPMan said:

Yea,  but when push comes to shove, a printout of the HAL website is a lot more official than a screenshot of a passenger forum.

Well I guess the only answer is to phone hal and ask for written details so you’ll have proof positive.  I have a b2b in the fall and I’m perfectly comfortable with what I hear on this board.  Generally I find “most” information is much more reliable than hal.  It’s not going to change my plans one bit.  Being Canadian we’ve had to go through tons of testing to cruise from USA ports that folks from USA have not had to deal with.  I had to test to come down, in between my b2b and to go home in November and March. Things change.  Hal’s generally not good with communicating.

At resumption of cruising last fall I was tested on three separate B2Bs in October, December and March.  But that was HALs protocol at the time.  Now apparently HALs protocol is not to test on B2Bs. 

However, the protocol of the country you may be visiting probably overrides that of the cruise line.  I'm getting ready to do a B2B on Zuiderdam to Alaska, departing and returning to Vancouver. Because of the ArriveCAN requirements I expect that I'll have to be tested TWICE (and that's not counting the one I'll have to do for the border crossing prior to entering Canada):  Once for the in-transit procedure and then again for disembarkation at cruise end in Vancouver.

Edited by AV8rix

On 7/29/2022 at 1:37 PM, Florida_gal_50 said:

My concern isn’t so much about taking a test- it’s about not continuing on the cruise and what alternatives I’d need to plan for, such as a hotel for any quarantine, and who would be financially responsible. (My B2B is out of Florida. No government quarantine is in place. We don’t live in Florida, and don’t particularly want to fly home with Covid. Driving is not a viable alternative.

33 minutes ago, FOPMan said:

My concern isn’t so much about taking a test- it’s about not continuing on the cruise and what alternatives I’d need to plan for, such as a hotel for any quarantine, and who would be financially responsible. (My B2B is out of Florida. No government quarantine is in place. We don’t live in Florida, and don’t particularly want to fly home with Covid. Driving is not a viable alternative.

That would not be cool to fly home with covid.  I hope no one puts people’s health in jeopardy like that. I have a friend that tested positive for covid.  He was on the last few days of a Panama cruise carrying on to Canada.  He had to quarantine on the ship and then on land once in Canada.  Hal picked up the bill.  That was when they were still testing on board.  Everything I’ve read says they are not doing that.  If you contact hal and they say yes they will pick up the bill it could change in a day.  I probably worry more then most people what if, but sometimes you have to decide if it’s more important to go for your mental health or stay home.  Unfortunately nothing is in stone with this virus.

We just got a 15-day update for the 1st half of  our upcoming b2b cruise bos-mtl-bos.  the HAL links re: b2b imply a required test between legs.  We did a b2b on Rotterdam last December, and they required a test on the last day of the cruise.  We did a b2b on Royal Anthem in Feb'22 and they also required the mid test.  We did a b2b on Royal Oasis in June'22 and they told us that  they no longer required it.  I would also not like to be stuck in Montreal in the middle of our cruise as much as you would prefer not to be stuck in Boston.

15 minutes ago, semibeater said:

We did the last B2B B-M-B ending july 9. There was NO testing in Montreal and we enjoyed the day in the Old City.

Seriously @semibeater?  You didn't have to do the ArriveCAN (requires testing within one day of arrival) to get into Montreal?  I'm asking because I have Can-US-Can-US-Can B2Bs coming up.  See my post #10 on this thread.