Canceling and rebooking a Viking cruise in order to replace my Travel Advisor

SempreMare

My TA definitely needs replacing.  Because of my recent Viking Air experience (before my first Viking cruise),  I have not booked any new Viking cruises despite the sales that would have motivated me to do so otherwise.  So I'm actually no longer Viking focused.  At least I don't feel that way at all at the moment.   

But for my remaining Viking cruises booked,  I have a specific question.   From what else I've read here, the answer is probably complicated...

If you were me, in order to move away from current TA who gave me incorrect info re: Viking Air Plus, then did nothing to correct the problem, in total causing me a ton of grief and time already not to mention future grief and time on my return flight, which would you do: 

a) Transfer reservation ownership back to Viking

1) Move my booked cruise reservations back to being 'owned' by Viking
2) Lose out on the TA's benefits I would have received

OR

b) Cancel the reservations and re-book with a new TA

Since I'm well beyond the 60 days post booking limit of when I could move a reservation to a TA / new TA

in order to move my existing Viking cruises to a new TA, I'd need to

1) Cancel my future cruises

2) Completely re-book with a new TA

in b) Hopefully I could re-book quickly enough to not lose my stateroom reserved for existing booked cruises.

Edited by SempreMare

13 hours ago, SempreMare said:

My TA definitely needs replacing.  Because of my recent Viking Air experience (before my first Viking cruise),  I have not booked any new Viking cruises despite the sales that would have motivated me to do so otherwise.  So I'm actually no longer Viking focused.  At least I don't feel that way at all at the moment.   

But for my remaining Viking cruises booked,  I have a specific question.   From what else I've read here, the answer is probably complicated...

If you were me, in order to move away from current TA who gave me incorrect info re: Viking Air Plus, then did nothing to correct the problem, in total causing me a ton of grief and time already not to mention future grief and time on my return flight, which would you do: 

a) Transfer reservation ownership back to Viking

1) Move my booked cruise reservations back to being 'owned' by Viking
2) Lose out on the TA's benefits I would have received

OR

b) Cancel the reservations and re-book with a new TA

Since I'm well beyond the 60 days post booking limit of when I could move a reservation to a TA / new TA

in order to move my existing Viking cruises to a new TA, I'd need to

1) Cancel my future cruises

2) Completely re-book with a new TA

in b) Hopefully I could re-book quickly enough to not lose my stateroom reserved for existing booked cruises.

Prior to taking any action, may I suggest contacting the good people at tellus@vikingcruises.com

Explain the situation, your concerns with current TA and see if they have any suggestions to assist in eliminating your current TA. Even if you have to cancel, they may be able to assist with a smooth transition to a new booking.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

We had canceled a cruise and received vouchers (too late to get our money back). We wanted to transfer the cruise to a different TA after we rebooked through Viking. Apparently the initial TA gets the credit for booking the cruise. We left the booking with Viking. 

• Thanks 1

We had issues with a TA and it was before full payment.  

My understanding is that the TA is not paid until full payment comes through.

We did contact Viking and had to contact the TA, have the TA write a letter saying they would release the booking, we got it back with Viking and we worked directly with Viking.

I would assume through all this that the TA was NOT paid any commission, but I don't know that 100%

We are up and down with the use of TA's.  We originally did all our Viking bookings and then moved to TA's for potential value in discounts and OBC's, but sometimes I swear, it is not worth anything that we have gotten to date from a TA.

• Like 2

I don’t use a travel agent because I prefer to have full control over my trips.  But, if I were in this situation, I think I’d write a letter to the TA outlining my overall dissatisfaction and documenting the issues, mis-steps, and concerns.  Set your expectations for future dealings with them, and give them the option to resign if they can’t meet your needs.  They might just “quit” and that would enable you to start fresh and transfer your bookings to another agency.  Just my two cents.

I was in your exact situation and ended up doing A. I cancelled specifically to get rid of her and rebooked directly with Viking. I have had terrible luck with TAs! Either they aren’t knowledgeable, they won’t give the perks I expect, or it’s impossible to get a hold of them. 

Yes, you lose the OBC but will have peace of mind. 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Baron Barracuda said:

Our TA is pretty good however we still book direct with Viking allowing us to deal directly with Viking Air.  Then, after all our flights are set we transfer booking to TA.

I don't understand this.  We've been on 2 river and 1 ocean cruise - all 3 using a TA - and were able to interact directly with Viking Air Plus to arrange our flights.  Have things with VAP changed since last January?

52 minutes ago, Moonlion said:

I don't understand this.  We've been on 2 river and 1 ocean cruise - all 3 using a TA - and were able to interact directly with Viking Air Plus to arrange our flights.  Have things with VAP changed since last January?

No, you can still deal directly with The Air Plus department even when you book your cruise through a travel agent. I have done it for years, and as recently as last week. I suppose if you prefer you could have your TA do it for you but it’s easier for me to find the flights I want, call VAP and have them book it. 

10 minutes ago, mhb1757 said:

No, you can still deal directly with The Air Plus department even when you book your cruise through a travel agent. I have done it for years, and as recently as last week. I suppose if you prefer you could have your TA do it for you but it’s easier for me to find the flights I want, call VAP and have them book it. 

This is my experience exactly.  I've NEVER had a Viking agent refuse to talk to me because I had a TA. 

I had a great TA for many years until I booked Viking.  She had no experience with them and it became a nightmare for her.

Since I love Viking so much and won’t cruise with anyone else, she is no longer my agent.  The good news is that I found a wonderful Viking agent.