Recommendations for hotel stay pre cruise out of New York.

getawaygirl

19 hours ago, sandancer said:

Is this the Rui Plaza Manhattan?

OP Mentioned "The Manhattan Hotel".  That is the one I replied to saying it is not recommended.

Lots of hotels have the word "Manhattan" in the title.  I only was referring to the one mentioned

I’m also looking for a hotel recommendation we will be arriving in New York on October 29th for a October 30th cruise 

we are Hilton honors member we have a Hilton honors Amex that gives a certificate for a free night if we spend $15000 on it in a year 

there’s no price limit so I was thinking I could just get the most expensive hotel that way I get the most bang for my buck and stick it to the man ha ha I saw the Conrad is over $600 a night is that a good hotel or are there better choices 

this is my only second time to New York so we would like to be in a good location

heres a link to available Hilton hotels

https://www.hilton.com/en/search/hilton-honors/?query=New%20York%2C%20New%20York%2C%20US&placeId=null&arrivalDate=2022-10-29&departureDate=2022-10-30&flexibleDates=false&numRooms=1&numAdults=1&numChildren=0&room1ChildAges=&room1AdultAges=&specialRateTokens=&awc=&cid=&dclid=&gclid=&wtmcid=&displayCurrency=LOCAL&adjoiningRoomStay=false&sessionToken=3a386e9d-a889-4f6f-bcae-c5f7c12b2d36

Edited by jhoover69
Additional information

1 hour ago, jhoover69 said:

I’m also looking for a hotel recommendation we will be arriving in New York on October 29th for a October 30th cruise 

we are Hilton honors member we have a Hilton honors Amex that gives a certificate for a free night if we spend $15000 on it in a year 

there’s no price limit so I was thinking I could just get the most expensive hotel that way I get the most bang for my buck and stick it to the man ha ha I saw the Conrad is over $600 a night is that a good hotel or are there better choices 

this is my only second time to New York so we would like to be in a good location

heres a link to available Hilton hotels

https://www.hilton.com/en/search/hilton-honors/?query=New%20York%2C%20New%20York%2C%20US&placeId=null&arrivalDate=2022-10-29&departureDate=2022-10-30&flexibleDates=false&numRooms=1&numAdults=1&numChildren=0&room1ChildAges=&room1AdultAges=&specialRateTokens=&awc=&cid=&dclid=&gclid=&wtmcid=&displayCurrency=LOCAL&adjoiningRoomStay=false&sessionToken=3a386e9d-a889-4f6f-bcae-c5f7c12b2d36

I see there are two Conrad’s. One Midtown, one Downtown. What are you planning to do while in NYC. If you are planning to visit World Trade Center and Statue of Liberty, choose the downtown location. 

I have points to book the Marriott Marquis in Times Square but they offer no shuttle service from the airport or to the pier.  The concierge suggested it would cost $70 for the 10-mile trip from the airport for 4 of us. Then $30 to go to the ship the next morning by taxi.  Would it be better (more economical) to try something like Uber than to use a taxi?

34 minutes ago, DebbieCruises said:

I have points to book the Marriott Marquis in Times Square but they offer no shuttle service from the airport or to the pier.  The concierge suggested it would cost $70 for the 10-mile trip from the airport for 4 of us. Then $30 to go to the ship the next morning by taxi.  Would it be better (more economical) to try something like Uber than to use a taxi?

No Manhattan hotels offer airport or pier shuttle service.

What airport are you flying into ? I'll assume it's LGA based on the 10 mile distance mentioned. Yes, use Uber or a taxi from the airport to the hotel. Taxi fare will vary based on traffic and exact route taken but on average should be about $35-$40. Uber will vary by demand (surge pricing). i would book an UberXL for 4 passengers.

Which of the three cruise ports are you sailing from...Manhattan, Brooklyn or Cape Liberty? $30 from hotel to ship is way too high for Manhattan but too low for either of the others. If it's the Manhattan Cruise Terminal and you like to walk and can handle your luggage it's only about a one mile walk. A taxi will only be about $10 in average traffic.

Edited by njhorseman

11 minutes ago, njhorseman said:

No Manhattan hotels offer airport or pier shuttle service.

What airport are you flying into ? I'll assume it's LGA based on the 10 mile distance mentioned. Yes, use Uber or a taxi from the airport to the hotel. Taxi fare will vary based on traffic and exact route taken but on average should be about $35-$40. Uber will vary by demand (surge pricing). i would book an UberXL for 4 passengers.

Which of the three cruise ports are you sailing from...Manhattan, Brooklyn or Cape Liberty? $30 from hotel to ship is way too high for Manhattan but too low for either of the others. If it's the Manhattan Cruise Terminal and you like to walk and can handle your luggage it's only about a one mile walk. A taxi will only be about $10 in average traffic.

Yes, we will fly into LGA and the Manhattan cruise port is where the Breakaway will be the next morning (I hope.) $35-$40 seems much more reasonable than the $70 he suggested. Of course, he first offered a pickup service to meet us for a mere $233.😵💫 so I guess it is all relative, eh?  Thanks for the quick response!

3 hours ago, DebbieCruises said:

Yes, we will fly into LGA and the Manhattan cruise port is where the Breakaway will be the next morning (I hope.) $35-$40 seems much more reasonable than the $70 he suggested. Of course, he first offered a pickup service to meet us for a mere $233.😵💫 so I guess it is all relative, eh?  Thanks for the quick response!

One more thought. With 4 passengers if you have a significant amount of luggage you may not be able to use a standard taxi, which is why I suggested UberXL . UberXL will probably be closer to $60...not all that much different from the concierge's estimate of $70 .

9 hours ago, njhorseman said:

One more thought. With 4 passengers if you have a significant amount of luggage you may not be able to use a standard taxi, which is why I suggested UberXL . UberXL will probably be closer to $60...not all that much different from the concierge's estimate of $70 .

Agree. Plus remember that Uber and Lyft uses dynamic pricing so dependent on the variables it could be even higher. 

15 hours ago, DebbieCruises said:

The $70 seems reasonable if not a little high depending upon the time of day, I think an Uber of taxi to the pier will be cheaper than the estimate given. 

2 hours ago, mjkacmom said:

The $70 seems reasonable if not a little high depending upon the time of day, I think an Uber of taxi to the pier will be cheaper than the estimate given. 

I agree, uber or taxi would work.  It's even walkable, if the weather is good and you don't have too many bags.  Or if you have too much luggage for one car, maybe one or two people walk while the others ride wtih the bags in the cab/uber.  It's under a 30 minute walk.

There are many other Marriott properties a shorter walk to the pier, some quite close.  You're just going to be further from Times Square, which may not be a bad thing

Edited by Nitemare