Recommendations for hotel stay pre cruise out of New York.

getawaygirl

Any recommendations on where to stay "pre-cruise" in New York? We are flying in the day before (don't want to risk any delays!) We are open to any suggestions (coming in from Los Angeles) I know hotels are probably very expensive in Manhattan! We're also open to staying outside the city. Any info is appreciated.

I'm staying at the Hyatt Regency Jersey City. Great views of Manhattan, a good rate, and directly adjacent to PATH station for transport from EWR, and one stop away from WTC / NYC subway system. There's also a ferry a few blocks south of the hotel to midtown, and from there, about a five block walk to the cruise terminal. 

We enjoy staying at the Courtyard at 54th and Broadway. Easy walk to both Times Square and Central Park. It would be a short ride to the pier. Staff very helpful in securing cabs or private car transport. 

For breakfast we recommend the Apple Jack Diner at 55th and Broadway. 

• Like 2

We typically stay in Manhattan, park our car the night before, and pick it up when we get back.

Parking garage: 43rd and 11th (560 West 43rd St.) - it's about $30 a night, depending on what you get from the personnel and within easy walking distance to/from the pier. We don't use the pier parking since we do drive in the night before to have dinner in the city.

Hotel: We've stayed at several that are very nice, and all within walking distance of the parking and pier (if you can walk 20 - 30 minutes at a normal clip) 

1. The Fifty Sonesta - 155 E 50th St., NY, NY

2. La Quinta Times Square South - 3323 W 38th St., NY, NY

As long as you don't mind a quick walk, anything around Times Square is a good deal. We do only take a small carry on and backpack, so it's not like we have a lot to lug around the city. 

If you do have a lot of luggage/mobility-impaired, you may want to stay in Jersey and catch the hotel's shuttle to the pier. Here's a few:

1. Hampton Inn Ridgefield Park - free shuttle and parking

2. Hilton Garden Inn Ridgefield Park - free shuttle and parking

3. Fairfield Inn & Suites North Bergen - free shuttle and parking

There's a bunch more in NJ that will do this too.

• Like 1

as other posters have said, I'd stay in Manhattan. When we sailed out of NYC, we stayed with a friend in Brooklyn (which was great and free) but the location was just not the best for sightseeing and getting to the port. If we were going to do a hotel next time, it would be in Manhattan. Yeah it's expensive but the location is worth it imho. 

4 hours ago, cruiseny4life said:

If you do have a lot of luggage/mobility-impaired, you may want to stay in Jersey and catch the hotel's shuttle to the pier. Here's a few:

1. Hampton Inn Ridgefield Park - free shuttle and parking

2. Hilton Garden Inn Ridgefield Park - free shuttle and parking

3. Fairfield Inn & Suites North Bergen - free shuttle and parking

There's a bunch more in NJ that will do this too.

They are flying in so why would they need to stay at a hotel with parking as part of their package? Further, how do would you expect them to get to those hotels? They're nowhere near an airport . None provide complimentary shuttle service even from EWR, the airport that's closest to them.

Those hotels are places to stay for people driving in, not flying in.

4 minutes ago, njhorseman said:

They are flying in so why would they need to stay at a hotel with parking as part of their package? Further, how do would you expect them to get to those hotels? They're nowhere near an airport . None provide complimentary shuttle service even from EWR, the airport that's closest to them.

Those hotels are places to stay for people driving in, not flying in.

Because I don't read more than the topic's title apparently. Oooopsie daisy!

14 hours ago, getawaygirl said:

Any recommendations on where to stay "pre-cruise" in New York? We are flying in the day before (don't want to risk any delays!) We are open to any suggestions (coming in from Los Angeles) I know hotels are probably very expensive in Manhattan! We're also open to staying outside the city. Any info is appreciated.

I recommend you post your question on the East Coast Departures board, where this sort of advice is offered on  a daily basis. Some of the answers ideas provided on this thread where people name hotels they like in Manhattan are fine, others recommending hotels in NJ perhaps not so much. Even if you don't want to repost on East Coast Departures at least read some the threads over there . 

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, 603NHCruiser said:

haha... @cruiseny4life I almost offered the exact same advice recommending the Hampton, the Hilton, and the Farfield. Granted I did see that the OP was flying in, but figured others who stumble on this thread looking for general information may find it useful, since the subject line is not specific to flying in (not that it necessarily needs to be.)

I held off knowing someone like Njhorseman would become overly critical and decide that they needed to police the blogosphere. 

FYI... I stayed at the HGI back in June when I was on the Joy as well as called the Hampton and neither hotel was offering the shuttle at this time. You could book parking at both, but had to find your own way to the pier.

I am glad the info was posted about hotels with parking, but disappointed that the HGI no longer sets you up with transportation to the pier. We had done this pre-covid and wanted to use this service again. We ended up getting up early, driving in day of cruise, and parking on the terminal when we cruised in March. 

An option for the OP would be to stay at a hotel at whatever airport they fly into, and get transportation to the pier the next morning. 

If you are a member of any hotel rewards programs, especially with any sort of status, I'd recommend checking their website just to see what the rates are.   I did several months of work travel to NYC a few years ago and found that the hotel rates could vary quite a lot depending on WHEN you are going to be there. 

For example, part of my work obligation required travel in December which was exorbitant no matter where I stayed (peak holiday shopping season), so I just picked a hotel that was convenient to where I was working (Marriott Courtyard on the Upper East Side).  However, the rates in January and February were DRAMATICALLY lower (like 1/3 of what they were in December) so I sampled several hotels around the city (and actually eventually settled back at the one I'd stayed in previously that was super convenient LOL!!)..  

If you're travelling in the off season, you may be able to find some really interesting historic hotels have pretty good rates.  So don't rule out something cool just because you THINK it will be too expensive.  Check online to see what's available at a price you're willing to pay and then pick whatever sounds the most fun.  

Hotels I’ve really enjoyed in Manhattan before and after NCL cruises:

The London (now the Conrad)

Hilton Times Square

Hilton Garden Inn Chelsea

the Roosevelt

The Hyatt near Grand Central Station

Ramada Plaza New Yorker

Marriott Times Square

Hotels that were disappointing:

The Belvedere

Novotel Times Square

Edited by YVRteacher
  • Like 1

Just to add that I love Broadway so always go to shows.  I like to be in walking distance of the theatre district to walk back to the hotel at night.

The hotels near Grand Central Station are a bit of a long walk from the theatre district.

If you do choose a hotel within walking distance of the pier (such as the Belvedere or anywhere on 9th or 10th between 39th and about 52nd, watch out for horse poop near the stables for the horses for both the police and the horse drawn carriages.  You do not want to roll your suitcase through horse poop!

In my opinion staying near the airport eliminates the whole point point of NYC and you would miss so much.

1 hour ago, YVRteacher said:

Hilton Times Square

the Roosevelt

Ramada Plaza New Yorker

Marriott Times Square

The Belvedere

Novotel Times Square

The Hilton Times Square was my favorite, but it closed. Do you know if something opened in its place? I would take the bus up from South Jersey, and it was right near the port authority.

3 hours ago, 603NHCruiser said:

I held off knowing someone like Njhorseman would become overly critical and decide that they needed to police the blogosphere. 

Apparently you think it's perfectly OK not to actually read a poster's question and give an inappropriate response as a result.

Tell me, what happens if someone unknowingly follows the inappropriate advice and ends up in a problematic situation because of it. That OK with you too? 

1 hour ago, ChiefMateJRK said:

Of course, some are only in NYC to get on their ship, not to "experience" the city.

Which seems to be something of a wasted opportunity - like flying to Rome for. Med cruise and staying at the airport - and then flying home on debarkation day.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, navybankerteacher said:

Which seems to be something of a wasted opportunity - like flying to Rome for. Med cruise and staying at the airport - and then flying home on debarkation day.

Maybe they have experienced NY before, and just want a place to relax and sleep pre-cruise? 

• Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 8/3/2022 at 5:43 PM, YVRteacher said:

Hilton Times Square

the Roosevelt

Ramada Plaza New Yorker

Marriott Times Square

The Belvedere

Novotel Times Square

What was disappointing about the Belvedere Hotel?