Recommendations for hotel stay pre cruise out of New York.

getawaygirl

2 hours ago, butterfly4108 said:

Cache Boutique is also a nice choice...free airport shuttle and arranged for our transportation to the pier.  Right near Times Square as well so lots to explore....they are super friendly and accomodating and fair price.

I'm not familiar with the hotel and it very well might be a nice property with friendly staff, but I'm 100% surprised by the hotel providing a free airport shuttle. I've never heard of an ordinary hotel in Manhattan providing free airport shuttle service and there's no indication on the hotel's website that they do. I'm wondering if they arranged something for you and added the price into their room rate .

As for arranging  transportation to the pier, the hotel is a half mile from the cruise terminal and getting a taxi or Uber is hardly difficult. You can even walk to the cruise terminal from there if you can handle your luggage.

We were told by phone that they offered the airport shuttle free but you are correct, it seems they are no longer offering that service according to the website so we may just be changing hotels ourselves 😄 

Edited by butterfly4108

On 8/3/2022 at 12:27 AM, getawaygirl said:

Any recommendations on where to stay "pre-cruise" in New York? We are flying in the day before (don't want to risk any delays!) We are open to any suggestions (coming in from Los Angeles) I know hotels are probably very expensive in Manhattan! We're also open to staying outside the city. Any info is appreciated.

We are staying at the Hampton Inn 

100 Route 46 East

Ridgefield Park NJ 07660 US

Phone: 1-201-641-2900

They have a package deal for $280...breakfast, parking for length of cruise, and shuttle to and from the cruise port. If you do not need the parking it is still a good deal considering how high the prices are in Manhattan for just a room. We have stayed there before and it's perfect for us...since we are driving in and can park there the entire cruise and they will shuttle us back to the hotel. They also have shuttles to take you into Manhattan for the night to dine or go to a show if you get there early and want to take in the city. 

Edited by uneamie

15 hours ago, uneamie said:

We are staying at the Hampton Inn 

100 Route 46 East

Ridgefield Park NJ 07660 US

Phone: 1-201-641-2900

They have a package deal for $280...breakfast, parking for length of cruise, and shuttle to and from the cruise port. If you do not need the parking it is still a good deal considering how high the prices are in Manhattan for just a room. We have stayed there before and it's perfect for us...since we are driving in and can park there the entire cruise and they will shuttle us back to the hotel. They also have shuttles to take you into Manhattan for the night to dine or go to a show if you get there early and want to take in the city. 

For that $, I’d stay across the river at a Jersey city of weehawken hotel, easy ferry or path to Manhattan. You can ferry across yo get to the cruise terminal, it’s very quick (for the OP, I think there is a charge for parking).

1 hour ago, mjkacmom said:

For that $, I’d stay across the river at a Jersey city of weehawken hotel, easy ferry or path to Manhattan. You can ferry across yo get to the cruise terminal, it’s very quick (for the OP, I think there is a charge for parking).

That would be good for someone who does not need parking. We need free parking. There is no free parking at the ferry port or the hotels there. The Sheraton charges $35 per day to park. So in light of that it's cheaper for us to stay at the Hampton Inn, there is no charge for parking there if you choose the "park and ride" package. 

28 minutes ago, uneamie said:

That would be good for someone who does not need parking. We need free parking. There is no free parking at the ferry port or the hotels there. The Sheraton charges $35 per day to park. So in light of that it's cheaper for us to stay at the Hampton Inn, there is no charge for parking there if you choose the "park and ride" package. 

Yes, that is why I wrote “for the OP” because the OP doesn’t have a car, I think spending almost $300 for a NJ hotel in ridge field park would be a waste for them (nothing against it, live 12 miles away).

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Can someone elaborate on the process for the transportation from New Jersey to the Manhattan cruise pier?  We are flying into NYC (LaGuardia) the night before our cruise and have to stay Saturday night in NYC.  The hotel prices are giving me sticker shock.  Thinking something in New Jersey might be more affordable.  Thank you.

1 hour ago, pcrum said:

Can someone elaborate on the process for the transportation from New Jersey to the Manhattan cruise pier?  We are flying into NYC (LaGuardia) the night before our cruise and have to stay Saturday night in NYC.  The hotel prices are giving me sticker shock.  Thinking something in New Jersey might be more affordable.  Thank you.

There are numerous options depending on where in New Jersey you'll be traveling from. Without having a better idea of where you'll be staying it's not possible to give specific recommendations or options, but here are examples of various commonly used transportation modes:

You can take Uber/Lyft or a car service from anywhere .

There are ferries that cross the Hudson River from a number of towns and you can take a taxi or walk from the ferry terminal on West 39th St. in Manhattan.

You can take a bus from Newark Airport to Port Authority Bus Terminal in Manhattan and then a brief taxi ride from there to the cruise terminal.

There are NJ Transit and Amtrak trains from Newark Airport or Newark Penn Station to New York Penn Station, which is a short taxi ride from the cruise terminal.

There are PATH trains from various places in NJ to Manhattan, then a taxi to the cruise terminal.

18 hours ago, pcrum said:

The cost to travel from NY to NJ and then in reverse might cost more than the higher hotel costs in Manhattan. 

• Like 1

On 9/15/2022 at 2:42 PM, pcrum said:

The idea of flying into LGA and spending the night in New Jersey before heading to the Manhattan Cruise Terminal gives me colliewobbles.  There are reasonably priced hotels right next to LGA.  Not glamorous but certainly as affordable as anything in New Jersey.  When you add the costs and hassle of transportation from LGA to New Jersey and then from New Jersey back to the cruise terminal to what your Jersey hotel might cost, you may very well do better in Manhattan.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

What is the day

On 9/15/2022 at 2:42 PM, pcrum said:

What is the date you need? We can try to find you a place. 

On 8/3/2022 at 5:14 PM, Cruising Lynne said:

I am glad the info was posted about hotels with parking, but disappointed that the HGI no longer sets you up with transportation to the pier. We had done this pre-covid and wanted to use this service again. We ended up getting up early, driving in day of cruise, and parking on the terminal when we cruised in March. 

An option for the OP would be to stay at a hotel at whatever airport they fly into, and get transportation to the pier the next morning. 

On 8/3/2022 at 10:45 AM, cruiseny4life said:

We typically stay in Manhattan, park our car the night before, and pick it up when we get back.

Parking garage: 43rd and 11th (560 West 43rd St.) - it's about $30 a night, depending on what you get from the personnel and within easy walking distance to/from the pier. We don't use the pier parking since we do drive in the night before to have dinner in the city.

Hotel: We've stayed at several that are very nice, and all within walking distance of the parking and pier (if you can walk 20 - 30 minutes at a normal clip) 

1. The Fifty Sonesta - 155 E 50th St., NY, NY

2. La Quinta Times Square South - 3323 W 38th St., NY, NY

As long as you don't mind a quick walk, anything around Times Square is a good deal. We do only take a small carry on and backpack, so it's not like we have a lot to lug around the city. 

If you do have a lot of luggage/mobility-impaired, you may want to stay in Jersey and catch the hotel's shuttle to the pier. Here's a few:

1. Hampton Inn Ridgefield Park - free shuttle and parking

2. Hilton Garden Inn Ridgefield Park - free shuttle and parking

3. Fairfield Inn & Suites North Bergen - free shuttle and parking

There's a bunch more in NJ that will do this too.

Thanks for all the feed back. Just booked a room at the Hampton Inn Ridgefield Park. As mentioned they have a Stay, Park and Go package. Includes room, parking for the length of the cruise, shuttle to and from the terminal and breakfast for $289 plus tax..

• Thanks 1

On 9/18/2022 at 12:30 PM, Noxequifans said:

There are many hotel options in Manhattan. Perhaps take the hotel suggestions made here and then check reviews on sites such as TripAdvisor. Also evaluate the cost. As far as getting to the pier, take one of the many yellow cabs here. 

Thanks.  I've been to NYC many times; went to grad school at NYU and my son attended college there.  It must be that hotel prices have greatly increased since COVID!  I'm having a hard time finding anything under $300 in NYC on 10/15/22.  We've stayed at Belvedere, New Yorker, the Manhattan Hotel, New York Hilton, even the Plaza.  For a city trip, I don't mind spending for a good hotel, but this will be just one night pre-cruise, so I was looking for more affordable options.  Those might not exist.

Just booked a room at the Hampton Inn Ridgefield Park. As mentioned they have a Stay, Park and Go package. Includes room, parking for the length of the cruise, shuttle to and from the terminal and breakfast for $289 plus tax..

• Like 1

Thanks for the suggestion of Hampton Inn, Ridgefield Park, NJ.  It sounded great.  I called and they unfortunately only go to the Manhattan Cruise Terminal.  We are sailing on Princess out of Brooklyn cruise terminal.  If anyone know of a similar hotel and stay, park and go package, please let me know.  We need one night pre-cruise, parking for 7 nights and a shuttle to Brooklyn cruise pier.  Breakfast would be an extra plus.  Thanks in advance for any suggestions!

8 minutes ago, Suncitycruiser1925 said:

Thanks for the suggestion of Hampton Inn, Ridgefield Park, NJ.  It sounded great.  I called and they unfortunately only go to the Manhattan Cruise Terminal.  We are sailing on Princess out of Brooklyn cruise terminal.  If anyone know of a similar hotel and stay, park and go package, please let me know.  We need one night pre-cruise, parking for 7 nights and a shuttle to Brooklyn cruise pier.  Breakfast would be an extra plus.  Thanks in advance for any suggestions!

Just now, Suncitycruiser1925 said:

The date we are looking for a hotel is for October 14th for one night pre-cruise with a stay, park and shuttle rate because we are driving to the area.  We are sailing out of Brooklyn Cruise Terminal on the Enchanted Princess. Thanks for any input/suggestions!  

Unfortunately you're not going to find any stay/park/cruise packages for the Brooklyn Cruise Terminal.

I'd suggest you just book an overnight stay in New Jersey, or possibly in Staten island at the Hilton Garden Inn or Hampton Inn, and then drive to the port and park there.

• 2 weeks later...